Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

31 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Err, I`m seeing heavy rain with moderate wind for tomorrow.

Arrrggghhh! Don't say that!! It will be sheltered in the pub anyway :default_biggrin:

I know where Griff is coming from though. I can put up with any amount of cold, frost, snow etc but strong winds and/or constant rain are a pain in the proverbial. 

• Like 3

Had a  ‘Word’ with next door. He was full of apologies but didn’t know. 

Amazingly he stated that there is no skippers manual onboard his boat!  So he’s got no chance.  He didn’t know about the no running engines before 0800 or after 2000 - how could he?  Am I allowed to say it’s a Hireboat from Barnes?

Griff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Am I allowed to say it’s a Hireboat from Barnes?

OOOHHHH!!! Anti-hireboat alert! You'll be in trouble now Griff.

what the flip is no skippers manual about? Surely a cut down laminated version giving the basics is no too much to ask for the hire money.

27 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

He didn’t know about the no running engines before 0800 or after 2000 - how could he?  

Neither do I since it is not a byelaw or regulation. It has appeared as advice or guidance on a number of signs at BA moorings which appear to give it an air of authority. The reality is that it should not be necessary and is not neighbourly to run your engine at a mooring at any time of the day. However if you do need to then common sense and decency says you should do so at a reasonable hour.

The byelaw actually states "The master of a vessel shall not permit the vessel to emit smoke or fumes or make any noise or nuisance which gives reasonable grounds for annoyance to any other person." Note the lack of any reference to time.

It is this byelaw that needs to be highlighted and put on the signs at moorings, not some arbitrary limitation of hours which have no basis in the byelaws, and appears to legitimise the running of engines at moorings between 8am to 8pm.

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Err, I`m seeing heavy rain with moderate wind for tomorrow.

Don’t know what you were looking at OBB, the forecast I saw was for a cloudy but mostly dry day with light winds. That’s what we’ve got too. 🙂 (Hastens to add, at the moment!)

• Like 1

I had to download the handbook for the cottage I rented in St David's last month. I needed it as the water, heating and cooking was by AGA. Surely a simple web link and download the Skippers Handbook to a phone or tablet? Not beuond the wit of man.

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Don’t know what you were looking at OBB, the forecast I saw was for a cloudy but mostly dry day with light winds. That’s what we’ve got too. 🙂 (Hastens to add, at the moment!)

Not being a weather watcher or anything of the kind I looked at a Norfolk weather site and that is what it said. Having just stuck a damp finger out of the window I predict rain around 14.06 today. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Not being a weather watcher or anything of the kind I looked at a Norfolk weather site and that is what it said. Having just stuck a damp finger out of the window I predict rain around 14.06 today. :default_biggrin:

S’raining now!! Hopefully be dry again by 14.06. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

That's actually a more reliable method than looking at the BBC weather app. I was over Weds pm and yesterday when the forecast was dry. It pi**ed down most of the time. In fact it was pi**ing down at 09.30 yesterday as the app was say it should be a sunny interval!

Water levels were extremely low Wednesday at BGM when I got there at about 17.00 and a neighbour says low levels forecast?

Managed a few hours today with the top down. Was proper lucky and got a mooring on Horning green. Had a small DTS in the Swan. Sailed for here at Thurne Dyke rain started gently at 1630. We are eating in The Lion tonight, two groups of six. Sailing at 0600 in t morning for Stalham 

Griff

• Like 2