Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Took Purdey dog for a walk last night as per the norm. Down the wet track to the managed ‘Permissive Path’ over a well maintained manual drawbridge. Just why this is here I have no idea. On we went it brought us out at the post mill next to the river. About turn and back t boat. Without a torch it would have been impossible. Thank goodness my wellies are onboard 

Friday 18th June

Got woken up at 0500 by heavy rain. It’s now 0740, it’s still raining. ‘B.A’ has been dry since October consequently we have a couple of rain water leaks. I’m wide awake, have had to turn heating on to take early morning chill off and dry out a wet Purdey after her early morning adventure ashore. I had every intention of fishing, not in the rain I’m not  

Entertainments Officer forget to get milk, consequentially I’m substituting with Rum

Griff

image.jpg

• Like 6

well this year looks like my year for rain on my holidays, if it keeps up like this i will have to rethink my trip through potter heigham bridge (or use the pilot) I see the water level at repps has risen 4" since yesterday

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, grendel said:

I see the water level at repps has risen 4" since yesterday

Looks like we've had a fair bit of rain in places, Yarmouth & Gorleston seem to have kept the fire service busy, Bell Marsh Road and Dock Tavern Lane looked bad in the press, the clues in the name I guess with 'Marsh Road and 'Tavern Lane the clues in the recent housing developments, not sure if the ground floor levels are sacfraficial, i.e. garage & utility so designed to not cause havoc to living accommodation in the event of flood. Tide can't be too bad though, looked like the fire service service had a hose hanging into the Yare in one place. Probably a pumping station or two up the swanny like the one on Lawn Avenue was a few years back.

Hi all I feel sorry for Griff and Crew as to this Rain that is diabolical at this time . As I live in Essex the Rain just keep falling  down as some of the Roads have been Flooded this is respite  on Saturday so things may brighten up while Griff and Crew crusing around the Broads . All I can it's all Right for the Ducks in theses Raining conditions  at this time

We were quite lucky yesterday re: weather. We ventured out for lunch to the next town. Drove there in torrential rain which stopped as we parked the car and walked into the restaurant. It hammered down for the duration of our stay and stopped as we walked out to return to the car. Hammered down again all the way home and stopped as we pulled onto the drive. 

Carole

• Like 2

Friday turned out to be one trying day. One of the cabins developed a rainwater leak which resulted in a wet mattress. I moved the mattress and sorted out the leak at least partially. 

Now I needed to dry the mattress so turned the heating on. I then closed off all heating outlets bar one to force dry said mattress. Trouble was the hot air should have been coming out gale force fashion but not a breath. On checking & opening other vents it was the same but I did have a very warm engine space. 

The delivery vent pipe had parted company with the outlet on the heater. This was an awkward fix but doable. Issue was why it had happened though?  I reasoned the pipe needed a further support adding to stop it happening again. It was whilst doing this that the pipe parted company on the ‘Y’ joint by the hull under the deck.

Disaster 

That separation meant a 3 x Hr fix. Dismantle the bloody wheelhouse. Reconnect pipe this time with some tie wraps to stop that ever happening again, reassembled wheelhouse. 

Heating system restored to fully  operational. Dry out mattress which by now had nearly done so on its own. 

By now it was just after 2000 and I had missed the start of the England - Scotland game. Got the TV set up = no reception. Spent over half n hour trying to sort it with no improvement. Turn to back up radio- same thing, plenty of stations but no digital or FM covering the match. I had by now missed all of the first half 

I was now having a major sense of humour failure. Threw all teddies out of the cot, stomped off to wife’s car to listen to second half  - then wished I hadn’t bothered. 

Jonathan n family arrived by 2145. Me trying to buoy mysen up. Got them settled in. Still raining. Lights out for 2330 still in Richo’s basin

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i too have found a leak, i opened the starboard drawer under the stern deck, as the cushions there were damp, emptied about 4 pints of water out of the drawer then applied the black sack fix to redirect the water into the bilges.

• Like 1

So it’s not just me then!

Saturday morning 19th June

Feeling much better, but still angry at my national football teams woeful display, it had at last stopped raining.

Jonatan now skipper, me advisory N.O we sailed, Ranworth and a perfect stern mooring down the side of t staithe, he does listen good which by default = a good learner

DTS in t pub then sail for Coltishall as I want him helming ‘B.A’ through Wroxham bridge confidently both directions. Up river bridge transit was perfect. We stopped briefly at Kings head moorings, well it was supposed to be brief but was over n hour then meandered onto Coltishall  I rang the RS pub but they were fully booked  the common it would be then.

The mooring here is a breeze unless you come alongside with the river flow on the stern which I made him do so he could get the feel of how not to do it and the consequences thereof.

Purdey dog went bonkers on the green, straight into a puddle that was a foot deep and as large as a Broad, wet dog onboard yet again.  She’s a crafty bitch, she knows full well not to enter any waterway without permission so seeks out lakes masquerading as puddles instead.  90mph straight in, followed by rolling in them for good measure

The Rising Sun for dinner. They got the seven of us + two dogs in quickly  even though they were very busy.  The service, food etc was excellent.

We spent the rest of the evening onboard the rain holding off, for now

Griff

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grendel said:

emptied about 4 pints of water out of the drawer then applied the black sack fix to redirect the water into the bilges.

wow !!!!!   that is some leak,         dont you just love those woodies,  :default_laugh:

Sunday 20th June

0500 it’s hammering it down with rain again so much so it woke me up, I normally sleep through rainstorms, obviously not enough rum being consumed. I wonder if that cabin leak is back?

The well stocked and very handy shop by the Kings Head pub has closed down permanently it seems. Gutted, that now means a ten day camel hike to the centre of the village. We walked the dogs to the shops in Horstrad. 15 mins each way plus 10 mins in shop. 40 mins in all. Could be an issue for those with physical disability 

All this ere heavy rain means the river is up. Wroxham bridge maybe an issue. We are underway and will find out soon

Griff

• Like 3