Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Arrived at wetshed. Jonathan on helm getting her in her berth with no issues which was  nice to see. They departed for home, a successful social / induction weekend completed. 

I am confident they’ll be fine on their own first time although I expect my phone to get well used!

We then sailed and overnighted at Gays  Staithe. I did try for Neatishead but it was full as expected. I couldn’t be bothered to turn her round with all the fuss n nonsense entailed so went astern all way back to Gays. 

This morning a couple of guys on a large fly bridge cruiser were ‘brink’-ing on disaster getting alongside for water. One of em had Tourette’s I deducted. A fellow boater assisted them much to my relief. 

Now on our way to Potter maybe. Barton was sunny, mild n windy with a swell - spot on. Purdey owning the upper deck whilst underway again

Got ‘Told off’ by a Ranger for flying the Yorkshire Rose ensign whilst underway on a Norfolk river :default_norty:

It’s great to be afloat 

Griff

4769D7C5-60AD-42F6-839D-193997F6D91C.jpeg

BE25B6A7-F12D-42CA-9389-6EA44D3D02B9.jpeg

710821BA-F8F8-4CF8-A4CF-270A4C82A50C.jpeg

04D474C3-8D56-4291-9219-15FDE0A5CF6B.jpeg

B33FE245-C63C-4764-9B6C-9692492D5F81.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Got ‘Told off’ by a Ranger for flying the Yorkshire Rose ensign whilst underway on a Norfolk river 

I hope the ranger wasn't serious!

The only thing you cannot fly on a private boat, bizarrely, is the Union Flag, as that denotes that you are a warship.  It is also forbidden to wear the ensigns of the three Services as well as special ensigns of yacht clubs that you don't belong to.

But the Yorkshire Rose? What about the Swiss flag, traditionally seen all over the Broads, as well as the New Zealanders? They love flying their flags when on holiday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We made Sutton Yard without any issues, had a pump out and 49 x Ltrs diesel still at £1:07 per Litre.

Then round to wetshed, final clean through, departed for home at 1830, in the house before 2130 including a stop - A good time for our standard journey

Till the next time then

Griff

• Like 7

I was updating 'B.A's calendar bookings doc. last night, between next weekend and the end of October there are currently eighty two days booked for 'B.A' to be crewed up - Nice one :default_stinky:

The more she gets used and therefore maintained the better as far as I am concerned

Griff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I was updating 'B.A's calendar bookings doc. last night, between next weekend and the end of October there are currently eighty two days booked for 'B.A' to be crewed up - Nice one :default_stinky:

The more she gets used and therefore maintained the better as far as I am concerned

Griff

Totally agree. Nothing makes a boat deteriorate faster than non-use

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff, I'm sure you'd find no shortage of willing and able kind volunteers who'd take her out in a cruise for you without charging you a penny. What days is she free?😊

• Like 1

Griff, I'm sure you'd find no shortage of willing and able kind volunteers who'd take her out in a cruise for you without charging you a penny. What days is she free?

Hey,  Many a true word spoken in jest!

'B.A' is now proper busy over the coming months between now and end of October.  Busier than she has ever been since we became her custodians and recommissioned her in Oct 2007.  What's more, combined with other social bookings and my ever chaotic work diary I am struggling to find a spare weekend any time before the second half of September to get a long time friend afloat (Back from school days)  I need to though as he is interested in purchasing that dormant fifth share.  We will just have to wait for now, time and tide and all that

Griff

• Like 1

Thursday 01st July

Sees the commencement of the annual D88 lads weekend, this’ll no doubt get messy

Sailed from home berth at 1430 for Ranworth. It was as we joined the Bure I realised I had left my phone in the GriffTile van :default_2gunsfiring_v1:what was worse it was in the mounted holder in full view :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Ranworth was rammed. About turn and headed off back to wetshed. If a berth had been available we would have grabbed it

It was whilst on Barton that I noticed the aft Bilge pump  was active. On lifting a deck board the water was well up over the drip tray, the driveshaft was spinning water all over the shop :default_sad:

‘Hands to Damage Control Stations’

On closer inspection this was not river water, it was far too clear. The flexi pipe had been pushed off the pump, the pump had then merrily emptied both fresh water tanks straight into the bilge. 

Bugger -this is not the first time this has happened despite using vulcanising tape on the outlet pipe. I had made an upgraded outlet pipe to cure this scenario but never fitted it. 

Into wet shed now was the time. Cured, that’ll never happen again, tanks filled once more. Who would be a boat owner?

We sailed for Neatishead Staithe at 2000 on arrival we were in luck, reversed straight in. Dinner onboard then walked up t pub where the staff fussed over Purdey no end. 

Getting back onboard I slipped and fell into the well deck. Damaged port thigh muscle. Into bed but managed to sleep fine, probably due to Vodka n beer

Griff 

446CA207-FEB6-49E2-96CA-6BD513F90173.jpeg

2BC20DCD-0A76-4CDC-9F36-E888CBE476F1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There is a lot of falling about on this forum latterly. I missed the bottom rung on my ladder last week and ended up on my Ar*e. Luckily I had left the cutter on top of the hedge.

• Like 1

Today Friday 02nd July

Awoke at 0700 - on movement ow ow and bigger ow. Hobble off for a Purdey walk. Thinking back not only had the vodka and beer helped me slumber, it probably had sommat to do with me falling in the well deck if I’m honest.  By 0900 I gave in, paracetamol and Brufin to the rescue. 

We sailed at 0915 for Potter Heigham, overcast & cool. Here’s a thing, we made use of H.W’s showers but the ones at Richo’s are currently shut. 

The sunshine arrived. Having spent a couple of hours we sailed for Ranworth this time we were in luck. On the staithe no problem

Griff

image.jpg

214FD492-2908-45C4-AE43-5C9C6D5F94F9.jpeg

• Like 7