Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

The majority of work will be left to the winter maintenance, as we are hiring at the end of a busy season, you can expect issues to develop, so probably by this time of the year maintenance is reactive. 

Fair point - not much time to do maintenance while a boat is being turned round.

And I'm sure if they can have the boat out every day in the season they will.

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Fair point - not much time to do maintenance while a boat is being turned round.

And I'm sure if they can have the boat out every day in the season they will.

We all have to respect the fact that so many businesses have been completely crippled by the last 18 months, through no fault of their own.

You can't blame any business for trying to squeeze every ounce of revenue that they can at the moment, to survive as a business and an employer. So long as they are not being over greedy and unscrupulous, we have to cut some slack and be reasonable in our response to issues.

In this situation, I guess you can understand the yard wanting to turn boats around and keep them on hire for as much time as possible, so maintenance may have slipped. As a group, I think you have been most understanding, and seem to have refused to let any issues spoil your 'lads week'.

I raise my glass to you all :default_beerchug:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

As the Bridge Pilots are bold and brave taking boats under either Bridges. 

It's one thing being bold and brave while taking someone else's boat under. Not quite the same as when you take your own. :default_biggrin:

Wroxham Bridge is easy

Of course it is, especially when you know your own boat intimately, try taking someone else's pride and joy through that you have not helmed before, then see how easy it is.

Any bridge is easy with sufficient airdraft available.  Wroxham bridge stating 6ft3" on the board, 'B.A' should have had a whole inch to spare.  She had more of course as we all know the height indicators are incorrect, it was still close enough for JT though as this will be only about the fifth time he has done it

Is it correct privateers us the bridge pilot there?

Not a scooby doo, as I'll never need to use them. Nor will I need their services at PHB too, thank goodness

Griff

Tuesday 26th Oct

JT reports that there was no cruisers at Coltishall or on the river between the two yesterday and today apart from one that followed them this morning but the bridge thwarted any further downriver progress.

At low tide earlier today the bridge airdraft board stated less that 6ft3" which calls for further procedures to get 'B.A'  through safely, that is not just fold down the mast but remove it, as well as rolling the canopy back, also remove it completely and stow in fwd passageway.  Bridge music on at half volume which sharpens the mind.  Undercrackers off (Saves having to change them afterwards) and through they went without a scratch.  Onlookers - some voiced 'Well Done' some voiced 'Mad Fool'  JT now knows I was informing him correctly that 'B.A' will clear Wroxham bridge at less than 6ft3", 6ft2" is just about doable, 6ft1" would require full ahead, pinpoint accuracy and nerves of steel

Griff

• Like 8