Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

7 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Gettin. Happy Days. There is a Broads God. All good things come to those that wait. It’s my turn. 

Glad to see you’d got it Griff, when we went past. As you say, your turn at last. Super spot for the dog too, haven’t a clue about the fishing!

On the ‘state of footpaths’ thread, Tom from BA posted yesterday to let him know of any path issues regarding BA responsibility paths. I’ve taken the liberty of copying your words about the path onto there and linking it to Tom’s post to let him know. 

• Thanks 1

It is indeed Johnny Crowes Staithe. Fishing has been productive both on maggots n worm. Couldn’t try sweetcorn as out of stock onboard 

One reason that the berth was free may have been due to a very active wasps nest. I had to deal with it, it’s now inactive. 

We have the Tv on, first time in eleven days. Early night for some early morning fishing 

Griff

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Thanks about the wasp nest

19 minutes ago, LizG said:

Also with popular with mosquitoes 

17 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I think it's the most popular wild spot on the Ant

So everyone loves that mooring despite being eaten alive by wasps, mosquitos and ants? Weird :default_biggrin:

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

How do you deal with a wasps nest? 

You leave it alone and move elsewhere, the broads is supposed to be about the ecology as much as boating and as much as I hate wasps they make up an important part of the chain.

Naughty Griff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry but if wasps build a nest in or near your house then by all means deal with it, but out in the countryside then leave well alone. We may not like wasps, but they play an important part in our eco system. Disturbing your ability to enjoy a wild mooring is not reason enough to deal with them. You are the interloper in the countryside not the other way round.

Did you know for instance that wasps are rather good predators of horse flies, which give rather a nasty bite to humans and also live in abundance up The Ant.

A few years back there was a rather large wasps nest at the BA Berney Arms moorings near the mill. The BA "dealt" with it by staking and taping the area off and putting up signs that there was a wasp nest and to avoid the area.

The better course of action would have been to inform the BA and let them put signs up.

Link to Natural History Museum piece about wasps

• Like 1

The problem of wasps on board is one I was discussing with a neighbour here at Richardson's and was surprised to find she had no idea about the traditional Norfolk solution to it. In case some of you, dear members, are also unaware, please allow me to enlighten you.

Firstly you need to find a dish, bowl or similar receptical. 

Mix together, 1 dessert spoon of jam, one dessert spoon of honey and two dessert spoons of beer.  ( It is worth the sacrifice). Mix well until smooth and creamy.

Pour this mixture into your selected ( sacrificial) receptical and place it on that boat over there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Wasps prefer to build nests underground, so they like soft soil, around rivers and marshes.  Their nest will have two tunnel entrances, and they will all go back to the nest at dusk, to become very sleepy until dawn.

The preferred method on boatyards is to wait until dark, block one entrance with earth, and feed the other entrance from a 1/4 full bottle of butane and a suitable length of plastic pipe.  Next morning, problem solved.

Unless you have just come out of the Army, when the best method is a "Thunderflash". Tie it to a suitable length  of "pointed stick" , strike the striking plate, thrust it firmly down the hole and you have exactly 14 seconds to get clear.

The effect is terminal. What the American Marines used to call "prophylactic fire".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh those poor maggots...

On a similar note a couple of weekends ago we were sitting outside the ferryhouse being pestered by wasps when a friend came over trying to palm off the remains of a birthday cake, being a helpful chap I duly offered (selflessly I must add) to assist in demolishing the remains of said cake, the board it was on was left on the table and before long we thought about moving it so as not to attract any more wasps, but.....

We actually left it where it was as we noticed we'd been pestered far less since the sticky sugar encrusted board had been sat there, there were no wasps around the board either, very strange indeed!

I think they have diabetic wasps around there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Wasps prefer to build nests underground, so they like soft soil, around rivers and marshes.  Their nest will have two tunnel entrances, and they will all go back to the nest at dusk, to become very sleepy until dawn.

The preferred method on boatyards is to wait until dark, block one entrance with earth, and feed the other entrance from a 1/4 full bottle of butane and a suitable length of plastic pipe.  Next morning, problem solved.

Unless you have just come out of the Army, when the best method is a "Thunderflash". Tie it to a suitable length  of "pointed stick" , strike the striking plate, thrust it firmly down the hole and you have exactly 14 seconds to get clear.

The effect is terminal. What the American Marines used to call "prophylactic fire".

Another "outside the box" use for a thunderflash ...

Someone with experience should write a book on them :default_rofl:

• Like 2