Get Those Rags UP !

I've been cornered, scupperd and stictched up like a kipper. 

Myself, Mrs G and another couple are going sailing this year.  We are hiring, It’s a rag-n-Stick called 'Thalassa'. 

I was getting many questions fired my way concerning my sailing qualifications and the like.  The three of them liked what they

heard and as a result we are now booked for a fortnights holiday around the Ionian and Greek Islands

http://www.pinnacleyachts.co.uk/thalassa.html

This is not a  yacht that comes with a crew/skipper – Nope it’s classed as a ‘Bare Boat’ charter.  That’s not to say the boat is not fitted out and appointed sparsely – far from it, she comes with everything one cold want.  Yep – the skipper will be me so I have been informed . So guess who is going to be passage planning, wx forecasting watching, navigating, and actually doing the mechanics of sailing the thing! – some holiday I’ll be getting!

To be perfectly honest – I’m proper looking forward to it, and my ‘crew’ can ‘Standby’ !

Between now and then I will have to brush up on my terminology and knowledge of all things saily so I feel confident I can get the thing out of harbour and on a course that I decide on (As opposed to the yachts wishes) and not do the typical broads thing of not being able to steer a straight line course!

http://www.pinnacleyachts.co.uk/index.html

Griff

• Like 3

Sorry Griff wasn't trying to do the one upmanship thing and hijack your post.

Your trip should be pretty good as well. The sea and Coast around there should be beautiful.

Just to put it in perspective, my brother and his family live out there, know the waters, sailed them for 40 yrs and know the hire people, mooring owners and bar owners. So extra days included and special locals rates. Even better the wife and I only have to pay for a quarter of it and thanks to Mr Tesco, Avios and BA the flights aren't costing much.

Last time my nephews also caught fresh barracuda and jacks every day so fresh fish on the bbq most days. And the obligatory rum and beer as lubrication.

And 2 engineers on board in case of any malfunctions (last time we had a leak in the fuel line fixed by handy nephew in a jiffy although he did get a mouthful of diesel re-priming it the old fashioned way).

We can compare notes and pictures. And drinking stories

• Like 1

Griff,

As your starting from Gouvia you must try Sayaidha on the Greek mainland, the Prawns are out of this world.  Word of warning as your boat is quite big you will have to pick the route in and out very carefully to avoid running aground.

I have a book of harbours and Gmap of this area  should you wish to borrow it.

Doug

• 6 months later...

Well it's been a long time coming but it's almost upon us. Our humble hovel will be occupied by Daughter ./ partner for two weeks commencing tomorrow.

Midday a short 5 min drive to the local airport (Former RAF Finningley) Robin Hood, Doncaster. then sometime in the afternoon we are airborne for Corfu.

Tomorrow evening we will be settled onboard 'Thalassa' ready for 2 x weeks of sailing around the Greek Islands

http://www.pinnacleyachts.co.uk/thalassa.html

I will of course take some photo's for when we get back, not a clue if I will have proper comms on the phone regarding my daily check in with the NBN - just have to wait and see

Griff

• Like 2