The Broads National Park? Time to decide!

kfurbank

Seems the BA are using the quiet Winter season to pursue some long held aims. The article below seems to suggest that a name change is all that's being pursued, and indeed a vote to finally decide once and for all whether to pursue a full change in law to the status of national park. Surprised this hasn't hit the radar before now.

http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=142329

Interesting times ahead.

Quote from th Daily Telegraph

"Sadly, there are other things, too, that are distinctly Broadland and which threaten the entire area: fish-and-chip papers and beer cans, lager louts in boats and noisy pensioners staggering about on land, at times just as inconsiderate as their younger counterparts."

Hmmm!!!!

Quote from th Daily Telegraph

"Sadly, there are other things, too, that are distinctly Broadland and which threaten the entire area: fish-and-chip papers and beer cans, lager louts in boats and noisy pensioners staggering about on land, at times just as inconsiderate as their younger counterparts."

Hmmm!!!!

Oi, us noisy pensioners are the salt of the earth! The Telegraph is right about lager louts though, better not mention all lads parties. . . . . . .  

• Like 1

Interresting to hear (or read) the fact that they`re going to "vote" on it. I wonder just exactly how many local people from buisnesses to residents etc will be allowed to vote?. They`re the people that should have the lawful rite to vote, not some unelected unrepresentative beaurocracy who are hell bent on following some preferred political agenda?.

LET THE PEOPLE OF THE BROADS DECIDE.

• Like 3

The hand-written reply at the bottom of page 80 on the linked document clearly states the statutory position, regardless of whatever words anyone wishes to describe the Broads as a "National Park".

( http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/525297/Branding-the-Broads-ba230115.pdf )

I can't see how Lord de Mauley could have stated more clearly the overriding position regarding Sandford in current UK Law.

post-195-0-86750500-1421493845_thumb.jpg

Some things never change.....

The simple phrase "The Broads National Park" became a catalyst for arguments that have now lasted so many years.

It keeps getting dragged up ad infinitum as a rallying call against the BA's management, (or should I say "Manager").

The last time the Sandford Principle was attempted, (in the 2009 Broads Bill ), it was voted out by Parliament, and Lord de Mauley's written statement clearly shows no change in the government's  stance on the subject.

Yet people still cling to the belief that it could happen unilaterally by the BA without Parliamentary process and the opportunity for focussed Public protest.

Some things never change.....

The simple phrase "The Broads National Park" became a catalyst for arguments that have now lasted so many years.

It keeps getting dragged up ad infinitum as a rallying call against the BA's management, (or should I say "Manager").

The last time the Sandford Principle was attempted, (in the 2009 Broads Bill ), it was voted out by Parliament, and Lord de Mauley's written statement clearly shows no change in the government's  stance on the subject.

Yet people still cling to the belief that it could happen unilaterally by the BA without Parliamentary process and the opportunity for focussed Public protest.

Personally I don't cling to that belief. I do, however, believe that once the name is achieved the BA will then demand that the Broads becomes a National Park proper.

I have read the agenda papers on this one with a great deal of interest. The Broads Society's response is well worth reading.

• Like 3

Well I, for one, am becoming very tired of all the political shenanigans. Britain's Magical Litterland isn't the only show in town and I am half - convinced to sell up and move to waters that might actually welcome my presence.

Rapidly becoming disenchanted.

Steve

• Like 1

The majority of Politicians have always shown that they are primarilly interested only in getting votes, so they will appear to support anything that may help them or their party in that respect.

When you've lived through twelve periods of elected governments you realise that everything is the other party's fault, and "we" will fix everything, jobs, taxes, benefits, pensions.

Existing parliamentary legislation about something like National Parks is different though.

If any party thought they could win an election on it, they would promise whatever the majority of the elctorate would be gullible enough to believe.

The reality however, is that only a tiny percentage of the UK electorate is even aware of things like Sandford, let alone care about it, so the legislation on such things is more influenced by governmental procedures than politics, (thank God). :)

Well I, for one, am becoming very tired of all the political shenanigans. Britain's Magical Litterland isn't the only show in town and I am half - convinced to sell up and move to waters that might actually welcome my presence.

Rapidly becoming disenchanted.

Steve

Plenty of space up in the Isle of Skye Steve, I know of two cottages for sale there! :wave

cheers Iain.

Whilst Sandford may be unknown to most of the electorate, conservation is. It is also a good vote grabber.

Away from this interest group, if asked, most people would say conservation is far more important than boating. One conservation group who are very active in wetlands have a million members and tens of millions in reserves. Who can say what could happen in a few years time! The EU could even get involved!

I totally agree, but you can not take anything for granted these days. We do not seem to have men and women of principle in control any more, rather they bend like reeds in the wind if expediency dictates it.

• Like 3

I have just had another thought, quite frightening actually.

Should some sort barrage be built to protect the Broadland landscape, properties and commercial interests. Then how would a non tidal Broads leave navigation. After all the definition of the tidal Thames depends what side of Teddington Lock you are.

• Like 1