The Broads National Park? Time to decide!

kfurbank

I do not accept your word "cannot" Strow. If a government thinks a move will make it popular, "cannot" would soon turn to "maybe". If subsequently a powerful lobby group proved to that government that there was a substantial majority in favour of such a move, "maybe" would very quickly turn to "will".

Who do you believe to be the stronger lobby group, NSBA or RSPB.

All the RSPB has to do is to prove to it's members that the only people who want the navigation to be protected are those people who are rich enough to own boats, and honest guv, it's "Bob's your uncle".

Yes my analogy was meant to be amusing, but, as I said some posts back, they only have to say "yes" once.

So!, If the government want's it and the BA want's it, then it's found that the general public wants it and the RSPB wants it, ... are you still saying it couldn't happen?

I see that Lord de Mauley's clear unequivocal hand-written assurance that Sandford cannot be applied to the Broads has passed without comment again.

(aside from the "mummy mummy" comments....  :)

And when Lord de Mauley moves on? Or when the next Broads Bill emerges? Or when the National Parks Act is modified? 

I think you all have a point on this.

Obviously the document Strowager has shared shows we are safe for a few years still and I agree no one in their right mind would want to take responsibility for shutting the boating business down on the Broads.

But I also agree about the question - what will happen in 5,10,15 yrs time? People move on, councils/governments change, policies change etc.

And often it is the ones who continually whinge and shout for change that get what they want because the normal people just get beaten down and give up opposing them (like MMs Mummy) because they have better things to do.

I'd just like to say I agree with everyone, but this fence is making my bum sore :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

• Like 1

.....So!, If the government want's it and the BA want's it, then it's found that the general public wants it and the RSPB wants it, ... are you still saying it couldn't happen?

I'll answer your question with my other more pertinent one again Maurice.

Even if the Government wanted it, and the BA, and the conservationist portion of the general public,

Do you really think that an elected Government would close down all of the Broads boat businesses, deny 10,000 boat owners any access, and devalue the billions of pounds worth of privately owned waterside property with mooring access ? The voting power and influence of the wealthy owners of all those top level properties ?

Every elected government panders to the majority of the electorate. If it gained them more votes, yes, they would close the rivers in a flash.

If it really was even feasible, I think Peter would have far more to worry about than the loss of being able to sail Jenny along the rivers. His house would lose its mooring and he would instead have a waterside view of an RSPB duck reserve !

Yes, Lord de Mauley's categoric denial is not cast in stone for eternity, nothing is.

It is however, a very recent response to the specific BA initiative that triggered this round of Sandford paranoia.

We need to be vigilant and be ready to oppose it any time it does ever genuinely get close again, but the current level of panic on Broads forums only illustrates again the poor judgement of when a threat is real or imagined.

Well ladies and gentlemen, if nothing else its keeping our cold typing fingers warm this debate. I am sorry about Marks bahoochie, rub some wintogreen on it Mark, that will get the blood flowing :naughty:  To Strowy and JM, who needs the Australian Tennis when I can watch you gentlemen exchange reposts. MM you are different class, you should be on the stage. :clap Polly, your right about F1, but its all very interesting for someone like myself who is over 400 miles away.

Do carry on please. who needs a Government when we have such fine scribes here!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Soundings, our tolls pay for nearly 50% of BA overheads. Rather unfair really.

But that is my point, JM, the BA could not operate without the income from boating and that is not a healthy position for a so called impartial management body. Therefore a growth in that income would help them - either from increased tolls or increase boats etc.

As ever, all very fair points Strow, and your observation about the government closing all the broads based businesses, is, of course, quite correct.

However, how can I, a mere mortal, know when I see a real threat as opposed to one perceived by the other paranoids I keep company with?

....However, how can I, a mere mortal, know when I see a real threat as opposed to one perceived by the other paranoids I keep company with?

We're all mere mortals MM, struggling for the truth, in a world full of misapprehension and exaggeration.

I used to be uncertain, but now I'm not so sure....  :naughty:

One thing i will say, as someone who lives on the fringes of the New Forest National Park,  be very careful what you wish for. Knowing a fair number of people who have lived, or do live withing the boundries of the NFNP The limitations they`re restricted to are horrendous. A recent thatched cottage could not be thatched using cheaper Broadland reed thatch, but more expensive thatch from mainland Europe, as Broads reed thatch is different from the original thatch that was already on it. Elsewhere there are continuous stories of people having to re-paint their property, because they did`nt use a certain type of paint, others are not allowed to have off road parking, you can`t have a fence on your boundry, as it will interfere with the ponies etc etc etc.

If the Broads DID become a National Park, be prepared for widespread changes to your (and ours) boats fixtures and fittings. The most likely will be the abolition of deisel or petrol engines, no powered craft above certain bridges, all new boats must be made of renewable materials, ie, wood. As soon as an area is granted National park status, it automatically becomes more expensive to live, due to increases in council tax, to pay for the NP commitee etc.

With these examples in mind, do you really want to vote yes to National park status, which will render your very expensive boat unfit for the area?. Step back and think very carefully about it, as it might just happen.

• Like 4

Thatch is a prickly subject, not just in NPs. Although reed is generally accepted as the best material many counties do not allow it on listed buildings as they would have traditionaly been roofed in Long Straw thatch.

Must be tempting though Strow, just to leave them all to their idle speculation and to dream up ever more unlikely tales of conspiracy and assumptions that immediately become fact!!!!

Yes Marshman, giving logical responses to some of the more outlandish speculation can only be attempted up to a certain point, after which it just gets too repetitive.

Broads National Park – a tourism boost or a pointless rebrand?

Latest almost accurate EDP article

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/broads_national_park_a_tourism_boost_or_a_pointless_rebrand_1_3925886

You have to admire the determination of some people. Front door is locked so let's try all the back doors and no doubt if that doesn't work it will be an open window somewhere.

For goodness sake is there no way to stop obsessive compulsion. Not being sure who BA answer to I have sent an e-mail to the Head trust fund baby with a request to terminate something/someone.

• Like 2

In the interest of balance, so that there are two of us, I have officially decided, with a cleverly manipulated mandate, to rebrand myself as a Broads Authority chief executive with immediate effect. I already have numerous, suitably embossed sweat-shirts stashed away under the stairs so the rebranding will be at no cost to the toll payer. 

• Like 3

In the interest of balance, so that there are two of us, I have officially decided, with a cleverly manipulated mandate, to rebrand myself as a Broads Authority chief executive with immediate effect. I already have numerous, suitably embossed sweat-shirts stashed away under the stairs so the rebranding will be at no cost to the toll payer. 

Careful where you wear those sweat-shirts. You might end up being strung up.

cheers

Steve