Needed info on an old rod

brandenjg

Hello forumites. I along with 2 friends bought a joblot of fishing gear yesterday and one of the rods included I'm hoping someone on here can tell me more about.

The rod is marked BERNARD SEALEY, TUDOR WORKS REDDITCH and then Sensitip 9 is engraved underneath.

Green rod, with a cork handle?

The rod bag has East Anglian Rod Company Ltd on it.

Attached are some photos. If anyone knows the rough age of the rod or any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Branden :-D

Maybe not photos as they dont seem to want to upload.

Essentially the maker mark is a red crest with a white house. The name is in black on a gold background.

The rod is green with red trim. 9ft long ledger rod with a screw tip. Material is unknown. The rod bag is pale blue.

This bunch of weirdos might be able to help you if your haven't tried them already? :bow  :bow

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtopic.php?f=193&t=5472

And a bit about the East Anglian Rod company - the rod bag not be original for the rod though

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2559&start=40

Wish I still had my first split cane rod now :naughty:  :naughty:

Enjoy it !!

If its not cracked in any way it'll be fine to use. I still occasionally use on Abu 403 hollow fibreglass rod and a Pegley Davies solid glass rod for piking and have a split cane fly rod as well.My wife still uses her only fishing rod (fibreglass) bought around 1973 ! 

Its  nice to use some of my old stuff sometimes, too many tackle tarts these days.

• Like 1

I still have my first fibreglass rod on the boat - circa 1975 - bought with Green Shield stamps when you could save them up and get real things from their store!

I also have a pair of mint condition Mitchel 810s circa 1976 - still use them for feeder fishing because of the fast line pickup. And also why replace them when they work. :naughty:  :naughty:  I sound like Iain now :bow  :bow  :bow

I still have my first fibreglass rod on the boat - circa 1975 - bought with Green Shield stamps when you could save them up and get real things from their store!

I also have a pair of mint condition Mitchel 810s circa 1976 - still use them for feeder fishing because of the fast line pickup. And also why replace them when they work. :naughty:  :naughty:  I sound like Iain now :bow  :bow  :bow

Oye!!! Us Mods have feelings you know :cry   :norty:

cheers Iain.

• 6 months later...

Good day, All,

As I stumbled on this thread during my researches, and being one of the weirdos mentioned by Baitrunner ( ;-) ), I thought I'd drop by with what I hope may be a little relevent information. I say 'weirdo,' as I now own 29 rods made by this company ... and now own the company name "Precision Rods Ltd."

Bernard Sealey and Co. was a Redditch based company started just after WW2 by the gentleman himself, who was in fact Edgar Sealey's cousin. The company's registered trading name was 'Precision Rods' ... though later in the 1970's they made rods under the name "Bernard Sealey & Co," with a similar shield logo, (in fibre glass) until the company was sold in 1984.

The name "R. Sealey" written on the rods does, indeed, refer to the person who designed the rods.  Initially, this was Bernard's son Robert ... and latterly it was Robert's son, also Robert, who took over the role from his father.

I'm grateful to Bernard Sealey's great grand daughter for the above information ... a real family outfit.

I regularly angle with my Precision and Bernard Sealey rods.

Details of the Precision and Bernard Sealey rod I have, which includes a 'Sensitip Major,' can be seen on a little website I maintain about my traditional tackle :-

www.ashbycut.com

I hope that helps brandenjg, Sir.

• Like 1

Ah Mr AshbyCut, nice to hear from you on the forum.

Sorry about my language, but it was meant in the nicest of ways :bow  :bow

You seem to have a nice collection of gear, although a lot of it before my time.

Was the Mitchell 440 the one with the auto bail arm? I remember this as the Mitchell Match, but not sure if they were one and the same?

My first reel was an Intrepid Black Prince, but I also had the misfortune of borrowing an Intrepid Boyo which was in a terrible state with half the teeth missing off the gears - still that was before I owned my own garage full of fishing accouterments.

It is good to see a lot of the old gear still surviving and being used though.

:welcome: aboard Mr AshbyCut. Ignore the weirdo comment from Mark.. trust me there is nobody sane or normal on this forum.. To name a couple; we have a talking boat that likes chocolate (:huh:) A female fisherwomen who has a serious obsession with shoes.. any boat she hires needs to big enough to have a walk in shoe wardrobe.. (:huh:) (if you wish to file a grievance against Mr Baitrunner.. just let me know.. we could do with testing the warning system on the upgraded forum lol!).  :hiding:

Sorry I know nothing about fishing and fishing rods (In the past I have brought fishing rods by the one's which look the shiniest!)..  

cheers

• Like 1