Sorry ..... can't visit you this year

donnygeoff

Hi Geoff,

We did the Union & Clyde canals the other year and enjoyed the trip up and down the Falkirk Wheel, we did not know about the building of the Kelpies at the time, so make sure you make time to visit them.

The trip up to Edinburgh, taking in Linlithgow for a night stop and mooring in the basin at Edinburgh overnight. Watch out for the scullers on the outskirts of Edinburgh and try and leave a full day to visit the city, I wish we had used the bus tour rather than walking.

The edge was taken off our trip because we did not realise that all of the locks and bridges are operated by Scottish Canals staff and you have to book passage through them  for your visit. For example if you are hiring from the company that is based on the Falkirk Wheel site and we hired Mistle Thrush. Their boats are all moored on the Clyde Canal, the company booked us a slot to have the footbridge opened and the lock to get to the basin of the Falkirk wheel, the passage up the wheel and the passage through the two staircase locks that are around the tight bend just through the small tunnel  above the wheel. for the return journey we had to book the reverse passage by calling Scottish Canals prior to are return towards the wheel. All the instructions will be in your boat pack.

On our return journey because we were then continuing up the Clyde canal we had to book the passage through a number of lift bridges, some of these are on major roads so opening them is only limited to certain times, lock sharing is done most of the time but again the pair of boats  have to be on time for each lock.

My advice is once you have got your head around the procedure have a word with the leader of the team of lockkeepers who will be with you throughout your passage of locks and bridges that day, they will ask you what your plans are for your next days passage and they will give you a time to be at the first lock or bridge of the day, they will also ask where you are mooring for the night so they can give you an achievable start time.

We found this regimented arrangement slightly tying and unlike any of our other canal holidays, we have been on trips where we had to do so many lock/miles per day in order to get around ring journeys but this we all thought took a lot of the spontaneity out of the trip, after saying that we would not have missed it for the world.

Regards

Alan   

post-568-0-32264000-1422691811_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-85151800-1422691858_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-78427800-1422691925_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-97797800-1422691965_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-77386200-1422691986_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-58042900-1422692033_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Alan,

Thank you for sharing those photos of your Scottish holiday. The Falkirk Wheel is a magnificent piece of engineering. Slightly different to the Anderton Boat Lift at Northwich, which is quite an experience. Although your time spent there seemed a bit regimental regarding times and movement, along the canal, I'm sure it was quite a memorable experience.

• Like 1

It will be an experience for me ... being TOLD WHAT TO DO....

Well, I have always been told what to do, by my mother to begin with, and then by my wife......

I let them think that anyway....

I am quite looking forward to it....

My Mother in law is a northern person, d'ya ken...  Kirkaldy.... (but thanks to him upstairs, she had her daughter in England)

so translator not required...

Thanks for the info Alan and Iain....

I will take plenty of picis of the little horses as well as the lochs....or are they just locks.... lol

:Stinky

• Like 1

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.

Are you trying to tell us Geoffers that you only get one weeks holiday a year?, i don`t think so, and even if you were in Scotland for 2 weeks, that still leaves at least another 2 weeks where you can have a holiday on the Broads.

One year, Karen and i had a week in May on Swallow, then had a week on one Bridge boatyards "Sunquests" in late September.

Lame excuses are just not acceptable on this forum Geoffers :norty: :norty: :dance :dance

• Like 1

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.

Are you trying to tell us Geoffers that you only get one weeks holiday a year?, i don`t think so, and even if you were in Scotland for 2 weeks, that still leaves at least another 2 weeks where you can have a holiday on the Broads.

One year, Karen and i had a week in May on Swallow, then had a week on one Bridge boatyards "Sunquests" in late September.

Lame excuses are just not acceptable on this forum Geoffers :norty: :norty: :dance :dance

You know I have to have a week in Cornwall as well......

PS 

Don't tell anyone, but OH was talking about Ranworth Breeze at the weekend.........

pps...

I can take 3 weeks holiday, but I have only had two weeks for the last 8 years, since starting the new job, I just love work...

It pays for things..... :eek:

• Like 3

Hi Geoff,

Now that I have put my brain in gear (it does happen you lot) :naughty:  if you are moored at the Linlithgow basin area, its no distance to the station, and you can get a train into Edinburgh, takes about 15 mins or so. The tour bus is just outside the station on the bridge, or was the last time I was there lol

cheers Iain.

PS 

Don't tell anyone, but OH was talking about Ranworth Breeze at the weekend.........

pps...

I can take 3 weeks holiday, but I have only had two weeks for the last 8 years, since starting the new job, I just love work...

Ranworth Breeze is a nice boat, but Lightning goes under all the bridges, and still has 2 steering positions, as well as a split sliding top. AND, she has 3 sleeping cabins. The best of ALL worlds i think.

Ranworth Breeze is still a nice boat though, and if it`s just for you and the OH, if you want a high top, then she`s perfect with seperate living, dining, and sleeping.

Are you going to be a syndicate owner soon then Geoffers?.

Ranworth Breeze is a nice boat, but Lightning goes under all the bridges.

Has anyone squeezed her under Potter recently? In theory it should go but those days appear so be few and far between as far as Thunder goes!

Hopefully we might have some luck in the summer.

• Like 1

PS 

pps...

Hi Geoff,

Have I mentioned that we currently have a share for sale! After saying that most of the syndicates have a share for sale currently (or did have about 3 weeks ago).

If you want any info send me a PM.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

This is on the wish list for end of this/early next year.

At the moment I have got a few things to pay for / have just paid for.

The normal things like security cameras* / dropped kerb** / new boiler*** / re-decoration of dining room / canal holiday / cornwall holiday**** / girls prom dress*****, nails, hair, etc (before any one says anything, I mean my daughters hair and nails, not mine)

* to catch the scroates who nicked my toys' badge two guns

** to stop the inconsiderate parents blocking my toy in when they drop their little darlings off at school, and I can't get to work, when I want to use it  two guns

*** not my choice but SWMBO wants a new one :kiss

**** need a bigger trailer, as we take everything now, even the kitchen sink cheers

***** she wants the most expensive one I am sure :love

And the money I have left after that will be spent in the pub on Sunday, just to get over it.... :naughty:

• Like 3

I`ve read some lame excuses in my time :norty: .

Buying into a syndicate is cheaper than buying a 5 year old average family car, (let alone a Porche) and probably as cheap for  your share of the annual mainainance. And you don`t have to do any of the work yourself either.

There`s absolutely no excuses Geoffers.

• Like 1