Shotley to Walton Backwaters

OK so it is on a Yacht with 'Lord Tom Cunliffe' but all the same an insight into the stamping ground of Kingfisher & Kiki with a trip from our home marina to the backwaters.

You may have to register but it is not onerous just creating a user name and password.

For this video click on the link then on Categories click Sail ( :o ) then Pilotage and select Walton Backwaters

http://www.yachtingtv.co.uk/index.php?o ... &Itemid=28

Note a number of references to "I am cutting the corner as I am under Sail" :norty:

If you are interested but don't want to create an account I have created a 'group one' :naughty:

User: pks1702

Pass: forest

Some good basic pilotage

For this video click on the link then on Categories click Sail ( :o ) then Pilotage and select Walton Backwaters although on a cold winters day all are worth a watch

• 3 months later...

Having done my first ever approach into the backwaters a few weeks ago

I was a bit suprised that Mr Cunliffe didn't mention the depth constraints on the entrance channel,

although he did do his approach at high water

Charted at 0.8m above chart datum at the bar you can have only 1.2m at low water less any swell trough.

Not a problem for most motor cruisers I presume but I was doing it in a yacht with a 2m draft.

Wind over the ebb at the point and it was more like going into a washing machine at times.

Depths in the "Twizzle" when coming off the creek pontoons at Titchmarsh Marina can also be fun,

I had 0.2m under the keel when leaving the pontoon at some points,

perhaps I should have waited a bit longer for the tide to come in a bit more.

One other point I noticed was that "sailies" coming in on the ebb my need to note that

getting parked on holding pontoon for the night can result in there not being enough water

at low water springs.

One yacht had about a 30 degree up angle whenI got up early the next morning to go up to the facilities.

(it was the second one in, the outer boat looked ok)

Me thinks that the idea of a holding pontoon is to tie up there whilst the tide rises.

I can also see why bilge keels are so popular on the East coast!

and not to park there ona falling tide.

Indeed it can be a bit interesting around there without local knowledge, the bottom changes quite a bit and I clipped the bottom with my prop in Tichmarsh on our previous boat. I don’t like what that particular marina has to offer really, especially the expanded metal pontoon surfaces which are a bit harsh for my taste. Hamford Water by contrast is a beautiful anchorage for an overnight stop and free to boot.

The civilized facilities at warm welcome at Shotley are hard to beat unless you are prepared to go a very long way.

• 5 months later...
Interesting, surprising how it looks so different without 100 + boats moored on the buoys on the approach.

Just come across this topic - I've seen walton once! In feb and YES there was alot of spare moorings around - blimey trying that approach in summer?? hmmm :o

The civilized facilities at warm welcome at Shotley are hard to beat unless you are prepared to go a very long way.

Oh I dunno! The carvery at titchmarsh smelt absolutely gorgeous when I did visit! mmmm :cool:

can thourghly recomend the carvery and quite liked Titchmarsh too. Not yet tried Shotley to compare.

You can get a 1m draft boat up from STone Point to tichmarsh on a low spring with only .2 above LAT I know i have done it but it is touch and go and there is no way you can get to the fuel water barge.