• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Helm seat hinge repair - advice wanted

Does anyone know where I could get a new hinge for a folding helm seat of late 1980s vintage ? The hinge is made of aluminium in 2 sections, each of which is about 7 inches long, and allows the seat back to be folded down onto the base. One of the sections has a crack in it, where the metal is bent to fit under the seat base, which will eventually cause a break.

Failing a replacement, how difficult would it be to find someone who could weld or braze the crack for me?

Regards

Steve

Here are a couple of photos of the offending article. Each arm of the hinge is about 7 inches long. You can see from the second photo that I have drilled a hole at the end of the crack in an attempt to stop it from spreading further. Hope that this didn't weaken it even more!post-168-136713475388_thumb.jpgpost-168-136713475667_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve, I expected they would be a bit different to piano hinges or butt hinges (hence asking for the photo's) otherwise you would just have gone out and bought some at B&Q in the first place :naughty: They are simply folded from bar stock which is not a good idea with ali particularly at that bend radius as it will always fatigue crack in time.

I would be tempted to get them copied by a stainless fabricator locally, I doubt the cost will be silly, drilling the hole was the correct thing to do and may well keep it OK for a while.

• 1 month later...