Helm seat hinge repair - advice wanted

Does anyone know where I could get a new hinge for a folding helm seat of late 1980s vintage ? The hinge is made of aluminium in 2 sections, each of which is about 7 inches long, and allows the seat back to be folded down onto the base. One of the sections has a crack in it, where the metal is bent to fit under the seat base, which will eventually cause a break.

Failing a replacement, how difficult would it be to find someone who could weld or braze the crack for me?

Regards

Steve

Here are a couple of photos of the offending article. Each arm of the hinge is about 7 inches long. You can see from the second photo that I have drilled a hole at the end of the crack in an attempt to stop it from spreading further. Hope that this didn't weaken it even more!post-168-136713475388_thumb.jpgpost-168-136713475667_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve, I expected they would be a bit different to piano hinges or butt hinges (hence asking for the photo's) otherwise you would just have gone out and bought some at B&Q in the first place :naughty: They are simply folded from bar stock which is not a good idea with ali particularly at that bend radius as it will always fatigue crack in time.

I would be tempted to get them copied by a stainless fabricator locally, I doubt the cost will be silly, drilling the hole was the correct thing to do and may well keep it OK for a while.

• 1 month later...