The Vardy Family films of the Norfolk Broads

AdnamsGirl

I have linked to the first of these films elsewhere on the forum, but as it was part of a collection I thought I'd give them their own dedicated thread in this section.

I was kindly given a collection of cine films taken during boating holidays on the Norfolk Broads for Broadland Memories. The five films cover 1965 to the 1980s and are a super addition to the archive. I have had the first three digitised, the other two will hopefully be done at some point this year, but I've now turned my attention to getting the 1960s and 70s films edited and uploaded to the BM YouTube Channel.

The first film is from 1965 and follows Mrs & Mrs Vardy and friends as they holiday aboard one of the Glitter/Glimmer of Light class of motor cruisers from Herbert Woods.

I finished editing the second film today which dates from the summer of 1977. Once again, the Vardy's holiday with a group of friends hiring two boats from Wroxham - Saraline from Porter & Haylett and Royal Standard from Royalls boatyard. Interestingly, both boats are still in hire as Grosvenor Girl and Trent Bridge.  Sadly, their cine camera must have developed a bit of a fault at one point during the holiday as there is a rather shaky section in the middle. I edited that down to just leave the scenery for historic interest.

On to 1978 next ..... :dance

Carol

• Like 4

Thank you Carol, very interesting indeed.

Well you saw it there Double Mooring! :naughty:  And two at least 37ft Bounty's go through That Bridge with a lot to spare. Also, to me anyway, the tides looked lower up North then?

Now 1978 I will be watching with great interest as that was my first three times a year holiday on the rivers! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Ow wow ... that would be an amazing coincidence if it is you. I've had people spot themselves or family members in other peoples photographs on the website before, but not in other people's film yet. I've tried to get a higher res still for you - this is the best I can do but don't know whether it will help.

post-143-0-93374800-1424339684_thumb.jpg

Carol