london rascal

andyhesford

hi robin just wondered when you were going to do this years  blog , I,ve  started watching all your blogs again from the beginning in order just to keep me going,also would you ever hire the a boat twice ,you proberly would not because you do them great reviews,your last blog was on brinks hybrid boat do you think maybe in say 10 ,15 ,20 year all boats yards will go hybrid, that has to be the best boat you have been on silence bliss . sorry about the typing not my strong point.

I need to make some changes with the Blogs in as far as Sony Music have had a bit of a  falling out shall we say with You Tube I think and as a result have caused a great number of music tracks they own to be removed from 'revenue sharing' (since You Tube was clearly not giving them enough) thus the music tracks have been muted.

So I will be downloading and re-editing some of the older videos and trying to find some suitable music that either is royalty free (but most of that is awful sounding) or owned by record companies that allow adverts on the videos and share in revenue with You Tube for each play.

As for coming up next I was all set to hire for an extended 10 day period and had my eye on San Julian - then it got booked, then I was told I could not have the time off work so reverted to a 7 day trip in late March on something like San Remo which I think is a lot of boat for a good price.  I then get told I actually should have the time off in April for the 10 days after all, now my girlfriend may be able to fit in some time with me too but then she wanted a say in the in the choosing of the boat - so right away has to have 240v and look good oh and she has to be able to bring her hairdryer and straighteners (woe betide anyone tell her to 'make do')  so then we were looking at Barnes Brinkcraft and we agreed on Belmore - not too big not too small looks like a proper boat but hired that previously, so this time going for the 'TC' version the same but not quite so a call was made and it is booked over Easter then probably be heading south  to avoid the rush on the northern rivers.

I've also bought a new Blog camera to try out - a Sony NEX-5 you can read all about that here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-nex-5-reviewit is a mirror less 'system' camera so hopefully the Blogs will look even better and will move up to 1080p full HD.

As for Hybrids hmm there everywhere, buses are increasingly making use of this as are cars from the small to the large not to mention F1.  It is something people sort of know what it means and is the current 'cool' thing.  I am not sure if in real terms a boat with a hybrid drive is better for the environment, what I do know is it means you can go for periods without an engine running and enjoy the Broads as you might in a yacht - jus the sound of the wind and water.  It also means that because you have such a large reserve of power in so many batteries  your domestic living on t e boat is much improved with what you can then use - knowing when demand outstrips what is available in the batteries the engine will fire up and produce a frankly enormous amount of power some 15kw which means using appliances on the boat is possible with reserve going to charge the batteries. 

I don't think they will really 'take over' in any large numbers, what really is needed though is for boatyards who do not have the pleasure of their own in house designs, to perhaps work together and get some new molds - not just be the 'same old' Alpha fly bridge or centre cockpit - some nice new sedans would be nice in various sizes from a 2 berth to say a 6. 

Also be nice to see some larger centre cockpits - I know the current trend is large boats that sleep fewer people, but having a couple of new build high capacity boats I don't think is such a bad idea.  Clearly the real winners are those who 'spread their bets' over a wide range of areas not just boats, not just land based accommodation but also marinas ad brokerage too so the business can grown even if one area might perform less well in a season another might do better and even it out.   Having a good vision and wish to give new things a go is always a good thing too.

• Like 3

so right away has to have 240v and look good oh and she has to be able to bring her hairdryer and straighteners (woe betide anyone tell her to 'make do')

Hi Robin,

Errr are you a man or a .... :mouse:  :lol:

You could always hire a Martham Cruiser?

cheers Iain.

thanks robin look forward to it, after watching your vids last year went to rockland st mary what a,fantastic magical place, also we wild moored on the ant just up from your favourite on the right going from how hill to barton I think we might have to do it a couple of times this year loved it. happy boating.

• Like 1