The Adventures of Orca

JawsOrca

Thanks Steve, Was a shame you both couldn't join us. But next year will happen!

Thanks Robin, it was almost we experianced 2 seasons in those couple of days! Looking forward to seeing the vids! 

New Years Day 2016

I woke up quite early and there was a slight chill in the air.. peeping through the curtains it was strange to see the first frost of the winter and a haze over the river.. it looked very picturist so I grabbed my camera and headed out. Once out the wheelhouse the coldness hit me (Orca’s insulation works bloody well!!) the canopy was frozen stiff and the frost was on the inside of the wheelhouse windows.. I took a few pictures. We went for quick walk around the village before catching Robin and Sheila and wishing them an enjoyable and safe trip. 

We left the mooring nice and early and we were in no rush so drifted down the river being overtaken by the boats moored at the pub! Thankfully the Ant was quiet and we slipped under the bridge with no problems. Dave took them helm at Barton and took us to stalham handling the helm back to me to do the tricky bit. I nicely slipped Orca in her berth without any contact J All packed up we was soon on the road on the way home.

Not sure when we are back out but if it stays mild it will be very soon.

20160101_091204.jpg

• Like 10

Re sheltered mooring at Thurne, you may be out of the main channell, but the area is very exposed. When Karen and i were up in November, we drove to Thurne to see Liz from Ramblers gift shop. We walked down the side of the dyke, but soon turned back. It was`nt freezing, but the wind chill factor certainly made it feel like it, and what few boats that were moored were being bounced aboutquite considerably by the very  strong winds.. All that in a narrow dyke.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

24th April .

A day off!

It's been too long, life has got in the way, A boat has been sold, 2 boats have been brought. 7 day weeks have been the norm since our last trip up over new years. We always spend easter on the broads and annoyingly it was one reason we moved Orca up north so we could spend the quiet months on the ant, however it didn't happen this year. I'd aimed to spend this weekend on the boat for a few weeks but annoyingly we was forced to work yesterday and it was looking like we was going to need today too...

Thankfully "islander" mentioned Norfolk marine chandlers had the oven in stock which we proving impossible to get so that was all the excuse I needed! Booked! 

I was awake early and thrown done the 20 foot ladder (not literally, thankfully not, touch wood.. better not), into the car... woke up at ipswich,j just as we passed the "Welcome to suffolk" sign.  Soon we was back into norfolk! Quick stop at blowfield for cheap caravan supplies. 

Next stop was the lovely chandlers, I mentioned to Dave how much I loved this one chandlers, "Oven what oven" was their reply.. :facepalm: Turning to Dave I said, "this is the best"... "Oh that oven".. Paid the cash and surprised to get a smile (seemed real too..see money can you bring happiness :angel:). Quick fish and chips, first time in here (the one by the staithe and bridge) enjoyed it.. tad expensive but we had lots of extras, proper old skool.

Next upto Stalham.. The heavens opened and down came little balls of ice.. (must be cold up there..) up to the security gate.. "2468", "5679"...  "Balls I dunno.. Leave the car here we have to walk, could do with a walk after that lunch". This time flaky bits of ice heaven (Hell is really starting to look promising now). Turning the corner, Orca's bright paint work shinned just as the sun came through, almost like a puppy waggling it's tail. All aboard she was fine, she still looks new (Seems a bit small now though :huh: ) Turned the key to start. Nope.. Onto the other battery and she jumped to life! Good girl... 

Seeing a boat after a few months, is like seeing an old grandparent after a year or so, you don't want to see them because you know they will have sadly deteriorated some way (and that some way on a boat costs money!) But really impressed and pleased with Orca, she's done well, almost as if she knew she just had to sit and be a good girl. 

It was a tad windy with wind on the beam... but I told Dave to untie her lets got out for a spin. This is when Orca told us off! As soon as the front line was undone she lent against the boat. Bit of throttle she kinda moved forward (or that was Dave's fenderoffin, Turned into the wind and she took a wind turn but I missed anything, Off the throttle and she decided to go back into her berth!! Cow!! Eventually I got her and no worries onto the main river, which was lovely and quiet which was good, being 1.30pm I thought it would be rammed with Clive's boats. We needed water so Sutton was the destination.. 

Sutton was soon upon us but there was plenty of space so we filled up with water slowly (leaving thumper running to recharge the batteries) I ran over and checked on one of my geocache I've hidden here.. Lovely spot today, the sun was out.. no time for a beer but it's a pretty corner of norfolk.. Can't wait for my time up here.

No wind so I thought I'd show off a little (and try and work out how to drive this boat again!) So reversed into the turning bit and using the prop walk spin her lol.. all good!) Back on the River.. Waving at a ranger as I'm trying to remember what 4mph is considering I've left the speedo at home! He waved and carried on so I wasn't to far off!

The Marina entrance was sadly quickly upon us and the wind again beam on, thankfully I'd got the hang of her and sailed into the berth with only the smallest of kisses.

Back in the car, I woke up just as we approached the M25.. Home in 2 hours for once too which was nice (Not that it felt that to me.. Yawn..

cheers 

(No pics I left my phone in the car)..

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Gracie said:

About ruddy time lol............Smashing read, thank you, Jaws :clap

Grace :kiss

Lol yeah it's been annoying.. 7 day weeks for months. We are both shattered to say the least! We are definitely doing the NBN meet up though.

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

We will get to meet then, as one way or another We will be there................

I am in the same boat .....well car and scooter, as Charlie, got to get this old rickety body into some shape or form to travel down ! Having followed Orca from her laying in bits days, it will be nice to see her in all her glory! Smashing write up  young Alan. :clap

cheersIain

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

I am in the same boat .....well car and scooter, as Charlie, got to get this old rickety body into some shape or form to travel down ! Having followed Orca from her laying in bits days, it will be nice to see her in all her glory! Smashing write up  young Alan. :clap

cheersIain

This old farts body, cant do anything physical for 8 - 10 weeks  Iain,  due to the major surgery I had on Friday last mate.... but we will get there..

• Like 4

He'd damn well better get well, or he'll have me to deal with, isn't that right, Charlie? :kiss

Sorry for going off topic again, Jaws :roll: back on topic, could you please remember to take your phone or camera next time, some pictures of your girl wouldn't go amiss, come to think of it a couple of you and Dave would be good too :naughty:, yes I know, behave and getting me coat lol

Grace

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gracie said:

He'd damn well better get well, or he'll have me to deal with, isn't that right, Charlie? :kiss

Sorry for going off topic again, Jaws :roll: back on topic, could you please remember to take your phone or camera next time, some pictures of your girl wouldn't go amiss, come to think of it a couple of you and Dave would be good too :naughty:, yes I know, behave and getting me coat lol

Grace

Do i have a choice with Grace the Wench and 2 mini Wench's all on me case Darlin?

Any ways back on topic yes lets have more pics next time Alan and Dave...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A week of in's and out's

Sunday 19th June

We was meant to be coming up yesterday but the weather wasn't looking good on the saturday and we had a bit to do at home so although we put the cat into the cat prison yesterday we decided to head up on the sunday. We left home about 10.30am.. a tad later than usual but holiday time had already started :)

We arrived into Stalham early afternoon... parking in tesco's as usual we headed into the town. We'd both left most clothing in the washing bag at home so into the factory outlet for some tshirts and shorts. I'd also left my jumpers at home but hoped for a warm week so didn't grab a new jumper. Sadly we'd both had a long week and we wasn't quite in the mood for shopping.

Arrival into the boatyard we spotted bound2please returning back to yard so wandered over to help watch them moor.. Inge learned over and passed us the ropes so we tied them up and promised to return for a good chat once we unloaded the car.  Once sorted we popped back and spent a couple of hours chatting. I persuaded the wench to join as she really cheered me up (I'm not sure I was meant to find everything she said funny but I did anyway ;). lovely to chat to you both and look forward to doing the same again soon).

Once back on Orca.. thankfully she started without any problems though and we slowly headed downstream.  Being the time of the year the rivers were busy so we headed to gayes staithe knowing there should be a gap for us. 
The staithe was surprisingly busy but we found and gap and Orca reversed in without any problems.

We wondered down the road to the pub yup it was rammed.. some kinda football match or something.. I'm not a football fan. but they found a table for us.. sadly in the bar but at least it meant we get some grub. Food and drink was all good and we escaped before the game played considering the TV was next to our table. 

Back the boat.. we unpacked and tidied up before calling it an early night. 

• Like 7

Monday 20th June

One eye open I could hear the patter of the rain on the cabin roof.. no point in rushing up.. eventually the rain stopped and we was up after all the hireboats had left so surprised to see ourselves all alone on the staithe here!!  

Once awake we wondered up the road to the little village shop. We grabbed a few little bits, we need fishing licences today, sadly no post office so decided there and then to head upto potter and ludham for bits.

Back to the boat, engine on and we left.. due south.. a nice easy  trip down the ant, waving at lots of boats enjoying the day despite the rain. Ludham bridge was quiet so straight through Orca's horn only breaking the peace as we glide under the bridge.. (Yes the heights here are way out.. god only knows what the real height is). The rivers are high, I guess due to all this rain we've had but not over the foot path so not too bad.

Onto the main River, the usual early summer traffic but just a nice reminder that we are on the broads.  I wanted to head into womack for fishing licences first but Dave demanded we get fishing bits first..(not sure it was the best idea considering the fisherfolk didn't seem happy through the windows).

20160620_105311.jpg

20160620_111412.jpg

Anyway each year we buy fishing stuff and each year he loses it.. grr.. Anyways we managed to squeeze Orca into the public moorings between two huge lightship hireboats.. (You guys can go into herbert woods you know?)... running distance to lathams as the heavens once again opened with the clouds clearly indicating nothing was going to change anytime soon.

So a quick walk (no running for me) to the supermarket first for bits.. usual random junk brought but bits for BBQing tonight (yup positive thinking).. Lunch time and we spotted some fresh sausage rolls.. two of those and a cake for lunch please!  Heavy bags in tow off to the fishing shop... some maggots and £50 of random bits..but I brought him a fishing box as a present with the instruction that this stays on Orca.

A quicker run back to the boat but it was feeling warm so the rain was more like a shower. 

So now we had the fishing gear but no licences we headed down to womack. Only wherry Albion in the shed today and hunters yard sadly looking pretty full up.. (one day we will hire one.. I mumbled to Dave).

Approaching the staithe here it looked pretty full but we found a double gap big enough for Orca to her sideways uncontrolled reversed (yes she can steer in reverse but you try tell that to her)..Only a little bump from our fresh neighbours and a look of hate from them.. (I daren't say lovely day considering the black sky so that would have sounded ironic).. sorry but I did well.

The rain thankfully started to slow so of we walked to the post office.. The pub caught my eye first but Dave dragged me off to the post office first.. 30 mins later fishing licences all done.. (they know everything about me know.. whoops).. Pub pub pub... wherry and a aspalls.. (just the one - we are on a boating holiday).

20160620_151340.jpg

Out the door blue sky.. poxy weather.. Down the lane.. still can't find that geocache but I think I know now.. sadly a bit wet so I'll look another day/month

Into the little shop.. I like shops.. but nothing caught the eye.. Next door for a pump out.. Orca's not had a pump out for 11 months.. I was using it as ballast lol..I motored in only upsetting the one fisherfolk. All pumpted out and free water (saved quieing).. for £12. Off we went, wasn't quite sure were to go but the best bit about being in north though.. there really is tons of places to go so no need to plan.. We turned just off the main river around the island and spotted a wild mooring.. tucked nicely away on a bend, there was a few fish rings and the fish finder was showing fish was present.. I've been reluctant to do wild moorings with Orca and this would be our first one... it's easy to be gun hoe when it's a hireboat but yup a tad worried... imagine all the worse that could happen.. but I went in bow first, Dave jumped off.. engine off and we gently brought her along side.. the depth alarm going off just at the last moment but I've got that set to 3 feet and that's what it was showing so plenty of water and a nice well worn soft bank.. should be all good.. Lovely spot.. Welcome to norfolk!

20160620_160432.jpg

20160620_160443.jpg

20160620_160513.jpg

BBQ was planned but the rain came and yup it came but Orca's hardtop reminding us why we fell in love with her kept us dry whilst we set up the fishing gear. 

The rain stopped so the BBQ was set up.. sadly a further downpour put stop to that but that quickly flew past and blue sky emerged for miles.. thankfully I believe this was summer solstice so we had plenty of day left to BBQ.. and yup it was a lovely evening and the BBQ finally happen.. real proper camping style a nice mooring all to ourselves. 

Dave sat and fished before running out of energy and we called it a day.. pretty much with the midnight sun still on the horizon.

20160620_212041.jpg

20160620_212408.jpg

20160620_212113.jpg

• Like 6

Absolutely lovely Jaws, I have fished on that very wild mooring many, many times and done exactly what Dave is doing, sitting on the back of the boat fishing, with the sun setting and a nice glass of wine, thank you so much for posting these lovely photos, Orca looks gorgeous (so does Dave but best keep that to ourselves lol) :clap

• Like 3

Tuesday 21st June

Blue sky morning.. yay.. a complete change from yesterday and we was both in better spirits.. It was also already warming up.. a hour or so fishing (none caught) engine on we needed more fishing bits as the fish no like the sweetcorn so back to lathams quickly (I also really enjoyed the sasuage rolls so wanted the same again)..

Potter looked lovely in the blue sky once again I had to squeeze Orca into a tiny spot but she does a really good parralle park with the leg so nice and easy.  

What a difference a day makes though, yesterday it was dreadful here and now potter has all the usual summer visitors. As we walked over the bridge a chap stopped us and offered us a business offer.. :huh: Dave naturally walked by but I heard him talk more "A fiver to help me quant through the bridge".. hell yeah I said.. Dave was dragged along... lol.. chatted to the chap quickly as we walked to his boat and he explained he was on his own and can't quant and 
steer the tiller through the bridge so needed someone on the helm.. not sure why he stopped us as we already looked like we had been at sea for a month.. perhaps that's why.  To my joy as we walked over the bridge it was a hussler class from Hunters. I'd been waiting ages just to get near one of these as it's a bit of a dream to hire one..see I do have a hidden love for timber boats.. the chap didn't need to tell me to sit on the helm! Lovely.. yummy.. I want one.. do I have to get off? The tiller was very heavy just like our old boat and slot to react.. timber everywhere "Where's you boat the chap mentioned..".. "just that one there".. the chap was doing well on the quant and I was firing questions quickly.. how far.. how easy.. self tacking.. throw the bridge.. just a gentle tough of the burgee (the rivers was high.. not my fault.. I was bang on the middle).Through the next bridge please mate :) :).. no worries.. sadly we moored up too quickly but Dave was smiling too.. (sold!).. he offered the fiver but I couldn't take it.. thanks for the trip we said!

Back to lathams, sausage role and cake lunch purchased and then into the fishing shop.. £50 more quid of retail therapy.

Dave brought me a fishing pole.. none of that reel stuff to annoy me with.. sounds better for me.

Back to the plastic Orca (maintenance easy I remind myself). Engine on, we can't go under the bridge so back south.. no real plan this week for a change (I normally plan but the only plan was stay away from yarmouth and take it easy).. we fancied a BBQ at salhouse so we headed that way.

This week I wanted Dave to pick up the helming more (As it's pretty bad of me not to teach him).. I really wanted to relax so he was on the helm for most of the trip.

Time was getting on and sadly the clouds started to close in so we diverted for Ranworth.. Ranworth is one of my favourite mudweight spots, the sky is huge there and I've had some lovely pictures from there before of the evening... those who moor on the staithe really are missing out... do it one day.. thankfully it's not lost on all and there was a good 5 boats.. mostly hireboats too but nothing like mental season where it can really be full here but still nice.

I took some pictures whilst both of us fished (Ok I just left the rod hanging out the boat whilst I took some pictures) until calling it a day.

20160621_172048.jpg

20160621_172141.jpg

20160621_172148.jpg

20160621_203917.jpg

20160621_204448.jpg

20160621_213320.jpg

• Like 7

On 27/06/2016 at 10:25 PM, Gracie said:

Absolutely lovely Jaws, I have fished on that very wild mooring many, many times and done exactly what Dave is doing, sitting on the back of the boat fishing, with the sun setting and a nice glass of wine, thank you so much for posting these lovely photos, Orca looks gorgeous (so does Dave but best keep that to ourselves lol) :clap

Thanks Gracie ;) It was a lovely spot, I think we will defo make a beeline for it again.. Hopefully there's plenty more nice pictures coming. 

36 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Lovely reading this and the photos look amazing too :)

Glad you like mate.. I have a bit of a "Reflections" theme going on! I love the glass effect still water does.. and the broads in the evening always does this.. it's amazing..

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Glad you like mate.. I have a bit of a "Reflections" theme going on! I love the glass effect still water does.. and the broads in the evening always does this.. it's amazing..

One of the reasons Alan we fell in love with the Broads!

cheersIain

• Like 4