The Adventures of Orca

JawsOrca

You're welcome, Jaws. Is it any wonder that most of us on here are totally in love with the place with scenes like the reflection photos you kindly posted. I can't really see anyone including my Aunt (the one who hates boating) looking at those images and thinking what a dump and how they would rather be on a beach in Ibiza lol

Beautiful, thanks again Jaws :clap

Grace :kiss

• Like 3

Wednesday 22nd June

Blue sky morning again.. awoke at 10pm (Heaven :) ) most hireboaters beside us had already headed off on the next adventure (what time do they get up?!).

After an hour or so of fishing (which is now just a game of sitting there with a pole and a half dead drowned maggot whilst the fish swim around it and don't even bite) we saw a few boats leaving the staithe so engine on we headed over there.. we peeped around the corner and every spot looked full so waited a bit.. to my slight annoyance another boater came beside me and tried driving infront (?!) I found my throttle and fendered them off (no I'm not admiring the boats I'm looking to land.. go away :) ). I spotted a post at the very end (towards the pub) with no mooring line attached but it wouldn't be easy to get into as there was a boat moored stern on by the stream (not seen that before but fair point there's room.. cram them in).. so this meant we would have to go (big marina style) bow first (instead of stern on) and moor side on.. I drove in and came just alongside the stern too boat and Dave jumped off before mooring her starboard side to the bank.. being a tad selfish I made Dave tie her off a bit back as I only wanted brunch.. drink and walkies.. I didn't want to be fully blocked in. (yeah yeah selfish I knew now :P ) Just as we tied off people started to leave (I probably needed a shower.. certainly a shave).. Anyways we helped a couple of hirers moor up which I always enjoy (I will talk to anyone!).. we helped a pirate (I hate the word private so from now on will call them pirates) moor up. 
Just as they moored up they asked if Orca was a Sabre and we had a good chat, they had a sabre for some years with twin engines.. lovely chat.. I gave them some beermats and they promised to join the forum (Hopefully they did?!!).

Orca had a quick mop as she looked a mess and I was a bit embarrassed in all honestly. A lady from the wildlife trust came over and questioned why I wasn't stern on.. lol sadly I just mumbled something and she was suitable confused but content.. told us to just pull forward if we stayed the night (No way would I have got Orca stern to without doing a lot of damage)...

We finally headed off for a walk. I really enjoy the boardwalks on the broads... so off we trundled to the boardwalk via the church.. we've not been up the top but I didn't fancy it today so next time! The boardwalk was busy but we found some time to sit by the dayboat landing bit and enjoy the view and the sun quickly.. shop (nothing caught my eye to buy though).. back to the staithe it was about 11.30am (sadly I'm not quite a fan of this pub for an unknown reason) so we decided to give it a miss and head for the New inn at horning.  Engine on.. Orca reversed out and yup she wanted to look closely at a bank and embarrass us.. oh well.. hopefully no one noticed and put a negative post on any websites..

A nice run into Horning, sadly we shouted over to Guss and he had no spots, it was lunchtime though.. I kinda expected (clearly wrongly) to moor there, have a big lunch and cheese on toast or something for dinner later whilst we mudweight and fish all evening.. I got a tad worried knowing there's not many options left... but then remembered last year people had mentioned that they had managed to walk to the wherry pub so yup that's the plan.. salhouse.. moor against the pub.. find the wherry pub and then mudweight later. 

We arrived into a busy salhouse before we knew it.. sadly the now usual drizzle did it's show. I found a spot big enough that I can moor stern too without looking too embarrassed, although to Dave's surprise I made him moor (he really needs more experience and Orca's a good one to learn on).. He did OK a bit sideways but it was a bit my fault as I had to stay on the helm beside him, instructing him instead of jumping off and doing ropes or going forward and throwing the parking brake (mudweight) like he does but all there no worries..

As always whilst Dave did the rope tidying (or whatever he does) I go off looking for people to talk to! A couple of hireboats come into land so I helped them. some northerners really talkative though, Then a hunters boat comes in to moor.. the hubby looking like he needs a beer, the wife already talking even before they land, I help them and fire all the questions off again.. truly love these boats.. amazing pieces of history and top credit to the trust and all those who hire to keep them going.. we have a lovely chat though and lovely people as always.. they hand me a booklet and one day we will do it (probably do a weekend though).

Pub.. I need a drink.. lets find the pub and make sure we can get a table for later. 10 mins walk they said.. (Ha yeah whatever).. but no to our surprise it was 10 mins.. we found the wherry pub!.. (We'd been by car and I thought it was miles and miles). Wherry for me obviously.. ripe apple juice for Dave.. Table booked..Beer and cider drunk.. shop!! (one of my favourite shops).. now I seriously hate sales people but this shop.. hmm I can deal with it and (I was a bit tipsy) so we had a good chat, the chap tried selling us a beer keg but the holiday was getting on and I couldn't quite work out if I would drink 18 pints(well I could but I would be pushing the drink helming laws and Dave doesn't like Wherry) so settled for a couple of bottles and a few gifts.. Back to the boat.. apparently the walk back is downhill.. oh yeah.. didn't even notice. 

Back on the boat, commodore was beside us and some erm loud happy welsh people having a party and BBQ.. beside us.. wasted would be an understatement.. screaming "PUT VINDALOO ON SO I CAN SING IT".. surprised to see Commodore depart and two boats beside us, leaving two other boats some 10 boat spaces away (So these guys no where near there own boat).. Thankfully the BBQ was put out with the fresh water hose and the last of the bread emptied to the ducks (Surprisingly ducks don't answer to "DUCK, DUCK, DUCK.. FOOD" even after the 15th time).. then the two boats departed at 10mph towards Horning..  I shouted over to the friendly northerners.."LOVELY DAY [NOW]". They agreed!.. waving to the departing boats...

All washed, dressed (and shaved) for the pub (well you know, clean enough).. the northern chaps demanded we bring back beer for them this time as we told them sadly we drunk their ones on the walk back last time :).. The walk to the pub was nice and short and we had a nice table overlooking the fields.. I tried the american pale ale but wasn't quite
a fan... I like my wherry too much really.. Food was good we went for a full 3 course meal for a change (considering we have no food all day).. not bad price.. nice to find a good pub close to this lovely broad.

Back to the boat, we (now) had a good crowd moored near us.. I'm really not one for mooring near people as in my eyes it's a waste.. but we both decided to stay put. (I think I was a bit drunk because I've forgotten the rest of the night lol!! sorry blog). :wasted: 

20160622_152233.jpg

20160622_194941.jpg

20160622_202126.jpg

20160622_221841.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

awoke at 10pm (Heaven :) ) most hireboaters beside us had already headed off on the next adventure (what time do they get up?!).

Hi Alan,

I have been up and out walking my late mums corgi at 5.30am on a hot summers morning - remember them - all the way from Acle bridge to close to Stokesby, meeting the postman the milkman and the paper boy on my travels!

Folks pay big money now till September, and want their monies worth I guess, especialy if on a week break. If on a longer holiday, then yes, the odd late departure may suit if say heading for the P&Q of the south broads.:)

cheersIain

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bound2Please said:

Nice write up mate but im sure 18 pints no problem for you mate....  you wanns see whats stashed away for Grace when she gets to the broads mate

Charlie

What you mean Charlie, is, you have purchased a Vineyard/Winery - Chateau nef du Inge - so your stocks are at a level that can cope with Gracies wine consumption !:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

What you mean Charlie, is, you have purchased a Vineyard/Winery - Chateau nef du Inge - so your stocks are at a level that can cope with Gracies wine consumption !:naughty:

cheersIain

very trie Iain and the London Gin distillery for the wench lol

Charlie

• Like 2

Lovely to read your tales given we were almost following you around ... or were you following us?! I haven't got around to my write-up yet but I will.

We were at Womack Dyke on Monday in the on-and-off rain. Then on Tuesday we were also at Ranworth but moored on the Island. We like it there, I prefer it to a very crowded staithe. We are amongst those who get up and move on early, usually between 8 and 8.30 - no lie-in for me on a boating holiday, especially with the long daylight hours in June. :)

• Like 3

Hi Jean, It's a bit nuts that we was so close for this earlier time! I do love talking to people on the broads (I'm not normally a people person but when I'm chilled out I'll talk to everyone)... if you (or anyone) see's us next time do please say hi, Orca always has the NBN flag on the bow so should be easy to spot!

We stayed at the island last year it's certainly much nicer than the main staithe but we find the wind for us makes it hard to moor up and leave :( 

I think for us now we use the boat more for getting away from things and not motoring around so much.. certainly now it's up on the northern rivers, it probably helps that we can get about still at dusk so time isn't really a problem.. although even this year where sunset must have been really late we did notice that must boats are moored up at about 5pm the best cruising is after then (The waters are still and this is when we spotted a ton of wildlife)... so it is like people get up early to get to the nexts night mooring instead of a slower start and just see happens.. bit of a shame :( 

I hope you had a brilliant holiday despite that weather. Looking forward to hearing your tale! 

• Like 3

Thursday 23rd June

The heavy patter of the rain woke us early (No I didn't have a headache), salhouse has always been amazing for fishing. I'm really not into sitting fishing all day not catching anything, I don't mind even if catch little fish (it's not all about size is it really!?) so I enjoy salhouse as you really can just catch and catch so as it was raining decided we go and mudweight and do a bit of fishing.

20160623_111127.jpg

20160623_111139.jpg

20160623_111726.jpg

We had kinda planed to go back to the yard today as I wanted a Chinese in our favourite resturant in Lowestoft but the couple we spoke to yesterday mentioned that there's a Chinese at south walsham that deliver to the boat, we've not moored there before to so I said to Dave we should try that.. this meant we had all day spare so a couple of hours at least to fish.. It seems fish don't try to be caught if it rains so no fish caught (as usual).. After a couple of hours we gave up and headed over to the boardwalk on Hoveton great broad. 

All moored out the sun came out. I like this boardwalk, it's really natural and just railway sleepers laied on the mud. Really nice to wander around as always and a really nice morning. After the walk I said to Dave I fancy ice cream knowing the ice cream boat is normally around here. Back on the boat we spotted him over the other side of the bank so we motored over and grabbed some.. Nice chatting to the chap and the ice cream was spot on. Back on the boat time was getting on so we headed to south walsham. I gave Dave the helm whilst I chilled on the back seat under the sun.. Lovely..

We stopped at Boutlers at horning for Fuel.. Dave checked the tank and was concerned we was running low, despite having a spare supply he wanted to fuel up. I arranged the recovery service with them too just before coming up so I wanted to make sure that's all in place.  Boulters for us is scary to get into.. there really isn't much room.

As we approached one boat was being serviced but thankfully we had space outside. So we landed for a bit.. The chaps in here are really helpful and spotted I was worried so moved one boat out the way for us and two of them plus dave was on hand.. I actually got in without any problems. We took on 27 litres (considering it was full) so she's doing just over a litre an hour but it's struggling on these low speeds.. Dave needs to talk to the leg company and maybe we need a smaller prop but we will see. (£50 a week isn't anything to moan about).

It was about 4pm when we arrived into South walsham, the moorings looked full but I spotted a tiny gap, just big enough for Orca.. I've now mastered how to do a parallel reverse mooring with the leg which means I can get into small spots without much trouble, and it don't matter where the tide or wind is.. (Although it's better if the tides behind).. and yup I squeezed in to the surprise of the fisherman fishing off the stern of his boat.. Once moored up I did apologise for taking his fishing spot but he agreed with us the fishing at the moment is just crap so he was just chilling anyway. "Can't make it any worse" was his words.

We've not moored here before, last time we spent much time here there was a hireboat yard and a shop just her, that's long gone and is now the outboard shop. It was still early and we really need to do more walking so we both agreed to just go for a walk.. ideally seeing if we can find the pub. (and ordering a Chinese for later). 

The footpath by the moorings was closed meaning we could only walk to the village anyway, checking the mobiles we couldn't get a signal to get a chinese so we just followed the signs and headed to the village.. we knew it was a walk (The sign.. "Free cab service" gave it away) but again we needed the walk. Some 45 mins later we arrived at the pub.. it was now close to 5 so we decided to to just go order a chinese.. I'd started to get hayfever symptoms so really pleased to find a shop that sold hayfever tablets. We found the chinese restaurant and walked in and decided to sit and eat there and then. We ordered a few dishes and really enjoyed our meal.. highly recommended and we will be back.

Annoyingly through the window we could see the rain drizzling once again and neither of us had a jacket.. but it was still warm and the drizzle just helped to make a cool walk back (through the fields).

20160623_175921.jpg

As we walked back a chap stopped us and said he had pulled Orca's canopy down as it actually rained a lot (we missed that bit) we thanked him though.. he seemed a bit concerned what he had done but we reassured him and thanked him. Back to the boat we wanted to moor on the broad and do a bit of fishing once again. I guessed the chap was on the boat behind us and I spotted a few beer boxes through the window so we handed a couple of bottles of bud to the lady aboard and offered our thanks.. the chap had even secured the rubber cords so very kind of him, although the back is is self draining it still saved us tiding up.. top chap :)

I wasn't sure of mooring rules on the broad here, I remember something about no mooring.. Dave also wanted to go for a bit of a drive about (as it was just about dusk) so he suggested Ranworth (surprised he's learning his surroundings well considering we haven't spent a lot of time up north). I have no concerns about navigating at dusk.. The rivers are peaceful and the waters are still it's a brilliant time to be out. So off we trundled, as there was lots of boats moored I kept the speed low, some 3kts.. Just by the moorings at st benets Dave spotted something in the water, and yup a large otter was floating on his back.. nice to see, sadly by the time I reversed to watch him he drifted into the reeds. The rain once again returned just as we approached Ranworth. We turned the corner and spotted a chap sitting on the front of his hireboat fishing whilst the rain seriously throw it down.. Dave shouted "That looks fun". The chap replied "No it's not". Once we stopped I shouted over "Don't ever give up!", he laughed (Getting my joke as it really was like the posters you see) and said "I'm about to". To my surprise he carried on for a good 20 mins on giving up when you couldn't see the water through the spray caused by the rain drops. (I was soo proud of Orca as she really didn't drip one bit.. considering it was the heaviest shower I've seen in a long time). 

I sat and fished through the canopy for a bit.  Dave decided to dig out the TV and DVD player which we put in the wheelhouse.. Pirates of the Caribbean.. 

• Like 6

Friday 24th June

I'd had a bit of a sleepless night.. My hayfever has turned into a full blown manflu but I had to fight on for the holiday sake!

It was bluesky though so I was feeling OK when I woke up but yup Dave just had to do more helming.

20160624_111052.jpg

We spent a couple of hours fishing, I'd been texting some friends and invited them up for the day tomorrow but I couldn't quite get a clear signal and a reply but it was sadly time to head back to the marina anyway, so the plan was set to spend the night up in sutton.. but we wasn't quite in the mood to head straight back.. Dave also wanted to go somewhere so I suggest lunch at Acle.. going down here would also allow us to bring her up to 6mph and give the engine a bit of a run, she really isn't happy at 3mph.

I wanted to go to Upton again , I like supporting this pub as it's a community run pub and it's a lovely spot.. so off we headed. The run down to Upton was lovely.. nice clear skies and lots of boats about. I spotted a boat coming out the dyke  so held back on the main river.. Just as they passed I asked them if there was moorings and they shouted back 
"Yup 4 spots".. considering there's only about 4 boat lengths I thought this meant they was empty.. So off we went, we had to pull in again half way down as a sailing dinghy was coming down..

20160624_114423.jpg

at the end to my surprise.. the yard was full and the moorings was all taken up (Not sure what the chap was looking at then) but we decided to squeeze on the end and use a reed anchor.. A lovely warm sunny day... I quickly grabbed some pictures whilst Dave did the rope stuff.

20160624_115755.jpg

20160624_115800.jpg20160624_124945.jpg

20160624_115818.jpg

20160624_120156.jpg

I remember from before this walk was a bit of a trek but compared to the south walsham walk, this was a walk in the park. We both ordered soft drinks for a change, I really was warm (Learnt now I had a really bad fever) so we just needed refreshments (I had an ice shoot which was like a J2o but it was really nice), I wanted to eat at acle bridge and it was hard not to be tempted here after watching the meals coming out, they looked lovely.. next time. Shop!! we just got a couple of soft drinks but a neat little shop. Back to boat, a norman 23 (similar to LadyP) moored behind us so thankfully I wasn't quite taking the p mooring on the corner there (I wouldn't normally do this as we was in the way so nice to see someone else being even bad than me).. We span Orca on ropes as it was too tight and I wasn't even sure there was enough room to turn on ropes but had 6 inches to spare. We departed without hitting anything (I was surprised too, but I was a bit busy admiring the timber boats here to care too much!).. thankfully we made it onto the main river with no worries, I was on the helm still for a change (Still full blown man flu remember).

The moorings up to acle were all busy but as we approached the bridge I spotted empty moorings right outside the pub.. result! Annoyingly Orca did her stalling trick when put into reverse (grrr) but we got there, we took a table right beside the boat which was nice (considering we've been walking to pubs).

20160624_134554.jpg

Whitebait for me, mushrooms for Dave then two burgers all yummy.. I had a wherry shandy to wash it down. Sadly the manflu was winning and I had to go for a lay down for a bit.. eventually all good and off we went (just as a boat load of pirates and a pet parrot passed by).

20160624_152330.jpg

Dave had the helm.. He wanted to have a quick stop off at St bennets which we did, we only had a quick walk as we still had a long day ahead of us and it was getting a bit late.

20160624_161100.jpg

20160624_161146.jpg

20160624_161205.jpg

20160624_161718.jpg

I retook the helm and we passed under ludham bridge, I wanted ice cream again so we stopped at the shop and ran in just before they closed at 5 and grabbed an icecream! 

Back on the boat Dave took the helm and we headed back up the ant. It was getting late so there wasn't many boats on the river which is always nice. Just as we approached barton the sky looked apocalyptic and the havens opened once again and truly chucked it down..

20160624_210356.jpg

Once again Orca's hardtop proved perfect and we was all dry (She does need a better windscreen wiper though +list).  It was drink time again so Sutton was plotted as the destination.

20160624_182947.jpg

20160624_201048.jpg

20160624_201730.jpg

Thankfully just as we approached the rain stopped and the sky cleared. We managed to as usual squeeze in and once Dave set up a marvel of spring lines (The bow overhanged the dyke a bit.. whoops) we wondered to the pub. 

We wasn't hungry enough for dinner but ordered two chocolate desserts and a beer for dinner :huh: it filled the hole though! We sat outside for a bit until we finished the beer and rain appeared. 

Sadly as the only spot was on the turning cycle and knowing from experience now that the most other boats will be will up and gone before us we decided to head off somewhere else just so I can get some sleep without worrying.

Yup it rained again (bloody summer!) and erm everyone was watching us as we drifted off at dusk (I do wonder what people are thinking!... why are they leaving?! were are they going), there was lots of boats all moored on Sutton broad and we've not stopped here, but I spotted a big gap, I reversed back carefully watching the fish finder carefully as the transducer is on the stern just above the leg but it was fine and we wasn't doing any damage to the lilies so Dave dropped the parking brake and then put some ballast block out the stern. 

A really lovely sunset followed whilst we fished for a bit until the sun really set.. finally for the night we put the extras DVD on from last nights movie (sounds strange but we was still awake and it was interesting).

20160624_212300.jpg

20160624_213344.jpg

20160624_220037.jpg

20160624_220054.jpg

20160624_221857.jpg

• Like 6

Amazing photos. You really were following us around as we had moored at Sutton the day before you and had lunch in the pub there. Not that I've seen you turn up on my drive ... yet! We would have been back home when you took these.

• Like 1

Yes indeed. I did only spy your boat at Womack Water. However reading some of your posts I think that you must have been mud weighted in Malthouse Broad the same night as we moored at Ranworth Island. We did take a little cruise around the Broad before we left the next morning and there were quite a few boats there.

You might also have been in Salhouse Broad when we came past on the Bure. Did you see that group of school children out on several large Herbert Woods boats towing dinghies and a sailing boat as well? We managed to avoid mooring in the same spot as them. Nothing against children ... got two of my own. But I'm not sure how quiet they would have been as neighbours! :) 

• Like 1

:) 

Yes the school trip they appeared to had hired about 5 or so cruisers and sailing boats, they was full of energy but we didn't hear them from our spot there, apart from when they had a play session but that was only short. I think the organisors did well to keep them at the one end...I wish we did that as a school trip when we was kids. how cool would that had been!

Hopefully see you soon up there one day! cheers 

• Like 1

Saturday 25th June

First thing I got a call from our friends (Nick and Jackie) saying they was on their way ETA 11am. So whilst waited we did a spot of fishing and admired our mooring for a bit!

20160625_091518.jpg

20160625_091644.jpg

20160625_095241.jpg

20160625_095354.jpg20160625_095707.jpg

20160625_095757.jpg

At about 10.30am we motored over to the staithe. We found a spot right on the green so it was easy to spot our friends. I heard nothing from our friends so texted them telling them not to miss the turning.. when they eventually arrived at 11.30am they missed the turning.

They haven't seen Orca before, only Jackie had been on racing dinghies before so the broads was all new. They seemed impressed and they jumped on. I span Orca around and of we went.  Once onto Sutton broad I gave them the helm to my surprise Nick shyed away but Jackie jumped forward.. she did well until things got a bit narrow and took over until we hit barton broad. Nick then jumpted on and got the hang of things.. Orca is very light and needs lots of input so it's not an easy boat to helm. He got confused and I had to reverse out of the tree line and take over until we came to the end of the ant. I wasn't sure how to far to go but they seemed happy and said they had the whole day..even the weekend if they can find a hotel.

So decided to head towards thurne, that should give us all day on the boat and give a good taster of the broads. Everyone had a good turn at the helm. Just at thurne mouth we was all treated to a yacht race. Orca did her stalling trick just when I didn't need it so I messed up a manoeuvre but recovered quickly just before a yacht bore down on us ..

20160625_140505.jpgThankfully my hayfever/cold was being nice and it was a slightly cooler day but lots of sunshine.

We arrived into thurne about 2pm and easily found a mooring spot. A nice long lunch at the pub here with a good few rounds of drinks (soft drinks for poor me though). A nice chat (Only a bit of a politics too) and eventually back to the boat. 
As expected we had a bit of trouble getting out, we turned on the ropes but struggled to come unglued from the bank and just didn't have the width to do anything fancy but eventually we got out. Once again time was getting on and most boats were moored for the evening so it a was nice peaceful cruise back. Strangely though as we approached ludham bridge a fleet of what must of been 10 Richardson boats came through all at once. :huh: Orca thankfully just sat still in water (no idea why.. she normally goes and tries to meet the boats here..) we eventually went through when all clear.  Nick got the courage up and took the helm on the narrow winding section here and truly mastered the helm. He was listening carefully to me and clearly took it all in and mentioned about feeling the biting point, I was able to relax for a bit and really leave him to it which is always nice.

20160625_171114.jpg

20160625_171125.jpg

At barton I wanted to show them neatished as in my view this is one of the best parts of the broads. I took the helm and I think at this point they caught the bug and fell for the broads...I think earlier in the day they didn't quite understand.. but both of them was heads out the back taking it all in. Sadly the trees have been cut back so it's looking a bit more open than before (It needed a cut but geez what's with opening things up.. it don't need it :( ) everyone spotted two roe deers at the end of one of the gardens and kingfishers flying.. a perfect introduction to the broads and a nice end to everyone's day. 

I took the boat back up to sutton to return them to their car.. as it was late we said to them we probably won't be able to moor and may just have to come along side someone but to our surprise there was mooring spots available so we moored up and helped a couple more boats moor up.. (And watched a aquafibre 32 dual steer being badly reversed out.. Dave was sent to Orca to fend it away from us.. I think the chap was trying to show off but struggling with the wheel in reverse doesn't do much on such boat.. he got out.. only giving the reeds a haircut before turning around).

At this point Nick was eyeing up a Broom sedan clearly indicating he had caught the bug and wanted to hire!! We wandered off to the pub for a few drinks and a good chat about the options available to them. Nick was a bit gun hoe and slightly uninterested at the beginning of the day.. I did warm him.. by the end of the day he will be sold and will want a holiday up here at least and sure enough they was looking closely. They even asked if a room was available in the hotel that evening so they could go out on a day boat tomorrow (Sadly no room at the inn) but I handed them lots of leaflets in the pub and they went home with a date in mind :) (hook line and sinker! Fish2

We waved goodbye just as it got dark. Sadly our holiday was also at an end, we had to get home by lunchtime tomorrow to collect the cat from his hotel so engine and nav lights on we made the short run back to our marina.

I wasn't quite looking forward to the holiday as last years was a bit of a nightmare, but we both really enjoyed ourselves though, my concerns about Orca's handling issues are being tammed and there was no point this week were these called a worry.  This was our first full week up north as we have always collected boats down south so not having to spend effort on breydon really allowed for an easy week although we did miss the sights of the south it was really nice to explore the north and we did see new sights which is always good! Really looking forward to coming back soon.

• Like 6

I have really enjoyed your write up and photos. 

You mentioned being surprised that there was room at Sutton on Saturday evening. Saturday seems to be an interesting day to be out and about given that so many week long hires still start on that day. It's one of the reasons that we like a Friday start - make the most of less hire boats out on Saturday morning.

I would suspect that anyone taking over their boat at Stalham on Saturday afternoon will have wanted to get further down the Ant than Sutton. And anyone starting off from the yards in Wroxham, Horning or Potter Heigham, may not have wanted to go quite as far as that on their first afternoon.

And with Sunday being the one day that the hires never start and end, there wouldn't be anyone moored ready for going back to Stalham the next morning. Just my theory ... might work or might not.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wench said:

Great pics but did you catch diner when you fished.............. lol

The Wench

Short answer no ;) Fishing was crap I think I caught 1 fish all week.. We would starve if we had to fish to survive! ;) 

cheers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Well the Grace wine cellar on Bound 2 Please is fully stocked with her wine ready to rock the broads to its roots.................. :party2:

Charlie

Liver transplant an optional extra !:naughty:

cheersIain