The Adventures of Orca

JawsOrca

It wasn't until my arm disappeared up to my elbow in the water that I realised all was not ok. When we started the job there was probably enough water in there to cover my finger nails.

We live and learn ;). I won't be doing anymore jobs without turning the tap thing off ;)

cheers

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

"Two weeks of insanity and Rocket ships"

Day 1. Saturday 11th July.

Raring to go, the normal un-welcomed ground shattering sound of the crappiest alarm in the world was a welcomed sound at 6.30am! two weeks worth of clothing was thrown into carrier bags and the random boat grab bag was located, by 7.30am we was in the car heading onto a surprising busy A2. Dartford tunnel was thankfully empty and before we knew it the "Welcome to Suffolk" sign just outside of ispwich wizzed passed together with Tesco's and the typical "What have we forgotten?" feeling... 

"Did you pick up the fitted bed sheets? I muttered to Dave?.. "Nope" was the obvious reply... "Ok Morrisons Beccles it is then". Beccles was soon upon us and for once I turned down the temptation of a Mc'd's breakfast! Into Morrisons, it was nice to be to be in norfolk, despite the drizzle.. Grr.. Morrisons was near to useless and surprising didn't have any fitted sheets, although we still managed to grab some "Drinks". Today's plan was to make use of a perfect early afternoon tide and head to the dreaded "Northern Broads". So the plan was to head for Asda, or Lathams or failing a Breydon crossing head for Beccles or Norwich. We arrived at the boat yard at 10am and was surprised to see the car park empty. The boat was quickly loaded up and engine checks promptly sorted. Engine on we was still on time for a Breydon crossing so we headed downstream. I wasn't sure how much room we would have under St Olaves although I thought it would be worth giving it a try so we headed towards the bridge and with thankful delight we saw we would have plenty of room, so carefully with the tide behind us we passed under.

It's been many years (if any) that we have headed north on this part of the Waveney so as Dave had finished unpacking I made him steer whilst I relaxed in the late morning sun. Goodchild Marina quickly appeared around the bends along with the familiar sea like marker posts indicating Breydon was just around the next bend. Being late afternoon now we was joining a convoy of boats all of which appearing to heading out to sea and onto the promised land. The usual rocket ships quickly starting pushing the poor BMC's and Nanni's to 3000 rev's as if their lives depended on it, not realising that the boat was already on it's hull speed of 6.5mph! I kept Orca on 1100 rev's conserving Dinosaur bones. Although the chief engineer demanded full rev's as a "sea trial". Orca's lever was gradually pressed forward, her full planning hull quickly rose, the GPS quickly climbed until it peaked at 9.5mph at 2800 revs. Easing her back to what seemed a nice cruising speed she settled at 8.5mph at 2400revs and sadly the truly natural landscape of Breydon water quickly wizzed by, for once Orca was overtaking the Rocketships. 20 mins later we was passing under the spans of Breydon road bridge and surprised to see the tide had already turned! A gentle left turn after the yellow marker although it was more like a ferry glide considering the strength of the incoming tide and the confused turbulence of the outgoing tide flushing out of the bure.

Thankfully I spotting a deserted Great Yarmouth Yacht Station we slowly headed towards the safety of the bank. The ex army officers which now staff the yacht station soon guided us in just like those chaps do at airports! A quick "Welcome" in a reassuring albeit confused London accent, which is sadly becoming far to common in Narfolk, followed by "I'm going to walk you up up a bit, as it may get busy". I briefly concluded "Please not too close as I only want to wait for the tide to turn and don't want to struggle to get out". Although such plea was promptly ignored and with a flick of the hand Orca was tied to the same post as the boat in front. Talking with my London accent now as perhaps that's the only way to be understood ; "Alright m8, any idea haw long the tide will take to turn". "20 mins m8".. "Ok me geeza, we just need to go to Asda to pick up the bits forgotten!" 

I think it's only been a couple of times that we have stopped with a boat here and Asda certainly wasn't built then! We got a bit lost finding the way in but thankfully they had everything we needed! We noticed that the Vauxhall bridge was the quickest route back and we were surprised to see it was all repainted and looking smart (Well half of it!). Back to the boat the tide had thankfully turned. We popped a couple of quid into the charity box as a mooring donation. Strange not to be helped out though!

Thankfully the boat in front of us had departed so I had plenty of runway, although leaving Great Yarmouth was nice and easy and we was quickly looking back on Yarmouth (wondering why anyone would spend time there!).  Dave took the helm for a bit and I watched the world go by, he's normally napping on this bit of the river as he enjoys the moment to rest but it was nice for me to relax for a bit. It felt strange to have Orca on this part of the broads, it's been over a year since we was last here ourselves and obviously the first time here with our own boat but a nice feeling all the same. The familiar sights of Stacy and Stokesby quickly passed by. 

Feeling hungry we decided to stop at the shop by Acle bridge, being a tough spot I wanted a challenge. Thankfully I'm already getting pretty good at the ferry glide! And drifted in like a Pro.. Although apologising to the couple enjoying a coffee outside the cafe who's view was now taken by Orca's topsides! Grabbing some leccy cards, tea towels and some ice creams we left for our final destination of Thurne dyke.  Yup the couple seemed pleased!

Approaching Thurne it quickly became apparent that this was where all the boats are, turning into the dyke we spotted a couple of spare moorings. On tick over I turned down, this is by far the closest helming I have done on Orca and flashbacks of sidewinds which are commong here were flicking through my head, Dave worked well fendering Orca off the boats already moored up although I think I only kissed a couple if any. We berthed on a port side mooring, although quickly spotted no mooring eyes and rond anchors weren't located yet. Somewhat surprisingly a holiday maker on a rocketship jumped out and instructed us to using the ring which he was using.. some 20 foot away from Orca's stern (Erm no as that would mean Orca would end up on the other side of the bank given any wind), thanking the chap for his help and offer we spotted a better spot on the other side and Orca was quickly all secured.

The land owner was already doing the rounds so fee was promptly paid. We noticed a couple of geocaches on the smartphone so thought we would do this before beer in the pub.  The geocache was up by the church so we wandered up, sadly we didn't find it and gave up just before being spotted by a local (It's never brilliant being spotted lurking in church yards just before dusk lol.. "Lovely evening for a walk" she offered, "Yes certainly is, Lovely spot it is too ;) ". Another was spotted on the marshes and we quickly found it. Very nice spot.. well worth the walk. Pub for a pint before back to the boat for a prepared Chinese meal which we enjoyed on the cockpit bench seat whilst watching the night drawing in and the bats out enjoying their dinner.. It was nice to be up north albeit surrounded by lots of people and the feeling of constant glaring.

Sadly not many pictures taken today, It was a busy day with lots of driving and unpacking.. ;)

post-28066-0-52441900-1438028233_thumb.j

post-28066-0-91632800-1438028274_thumb.j

• Like 8

Thanks guys.. Sadly it gets a bit downhearted though.. but I'm going to tell it as it was and not try to polish it. (Mod's be warned you may need to moderate) 

Lol Steve. Good point actually I need to write it down before I forget it! Although not much to say... Drinking, Late nights.. Disco lights lol and regards to drinking you guys can't talk! Debs drinks out the bottle with a straw lol (I used to be a lot worse this year I was strangely tame.. although I needed to be sober to play dodgems). :wasted:

• Like 3

You didn't mention the bottle she was drinking out of was sooooo big the straw didn't reach the bottom ;)

Grace, I have no idea where you are getting your ideas from. I'm trying to point Alan in the right direction of drinking in moderation, but boy, that lad has a real rebellious side to him ;)

cheers

• Like 4

Day 2 - Saturday 12th July.

Awoken at the what felt like the middle of the night by a bump and the boat rocking, shocked I thought it was a shark attack but the sound of an un-silenced BMC quickly confirmed it was indeed a boat. Peering out the window confirmed too that most of the hireboats outside have departed, probably already off to find today's overnight mooring. So already wide awake it was decided we too make a move, we had moored towards the end and I was a bit worried we would be seriously bumped by crews struggling to turn around. Engine on Orca headed towards the end of the dyke and a quick 3 point turn Orca was turned and heading onto the main river, Dave at the ready to do the fendoff walk, although thankfully he wasn't needed.  We headed upstream and into a light bit of rain... The aim was a trip to Lathams for fishing gear as we didn't have any aboard. Although noticing womack dyke I thought it would nice to pop in there and let the rain clear.

Yup sadly the rain had no plans to stop, but there was a couple of mooring spots free on the public staithe so picking the biggest one, I gently reversed Orca into the stern mooring (Making full use of the ability of the steering in reverse), a nice sheerline private boat was beside us and her owners where clearly spotted at enjoying breakfast but reassuringly didn't feel the need to postpone breakfast. Noticing there was a post office in nearby ludham and remembering we needed fishing licences we locked Orca up and wondered up the road. The shop containing the postoffice looked nice, I don't quite remember this shop but we resisted buying any "junk food". Fishing licences in Hand we returned back to the staithe, on the way back though we noticed a couple of geocaches so we decided to look for these. Sadly we couldn't find it the hint didn't make sense :(

Noticing our waste tank could do with a pump out we went into the little shop and booked a slot!  (One boat in front of us) We obviously also went for a wonder (I really want a small "Norfolk" flag but couldn't find any), although the junk food temptation was too strong in here and we brought a few junky bits!  

To some shock we noticed a huge hireboat had squeezed in beside Orca... I daren't look for damage! But I quickly got chatting to the couple who sadly advised the boat was broken already.. on day 2 for them.. and could only be steered from above :( They also sad they was very disappointed with the boat and invited me aboard for further chat and details.. It was a flybridge boat from Faircroft and although very big, it was indeed very narrow and a bit of a confused layout, considering what they paid for a weeks hire I understand their disappointed.. it probably didn't help when I explained Orca's mooring cost is less than their weeks hire cost. Noticing the pump boat was now departed, I jumped off  and wished them well and best wished and carefully moved Orca over to the pump out spot.  

The lady on the pump out was very talkative (I so like a natter!) I can't say what was moaning about but all good.. A brilliant pump out though.. this was actually our first proper attended pumpout as we have been using the WRC self service one so she pumped it through a few times, naturally I offered a tip for her efforts. 

The rain had now finally stopped so we departed slowly with the aim to head to potter. Passing the geocache spot from the river the clue made sense and we spotted the hide ... next time! The trip up to Potter was nice and relaxing, although as we approached the bridge we was shocked to see all moorings taken, but we spotted some of the free moorings between the cottages on the bank a little further downstream were empty so headed for these. Fishing gear and more shopping completed we returned to the boat as the pesky rain started.

Considering the rain now appeared to be firmly in for the day we planned to go up the River Ant. Berny arms through the rain looked miserable as did the ant. Ludham bridge appeared between the wipes of the windscreen wiper just as the rain really threw it down, Dave peered his head around the canopy and confirmed there was enough space and Orca passed through easily. 

The rain slowed down enough by the time we reached irstead and as the mooring was empty I decided it was time for a break. We found a quick geocache and wondered around a bit.. noticing one of the local houses had done some little gifts (Painted flowerpots) we decided to grab one for our neighbour Jerri who was looking after the cat. Whilst moored we also spotted a boat passing with an NBN Burgee (Sorry I didn't see the boat name) but waves were exchanged! Engine on we departed. Quickly we spotted the ice cream boat "Indulgence!" (and fellow NBN member!) we got their attention and grabbed two ice creams.. although a bit of a dull day it was still warm and ice creams did the trick! 

I decided to head to Sutton for the evening.. we've not been there that many times before so it would be nice to be back. Approaching the moorings we noticed they all appeared full and time was getting on but I decided to still head up there knowing there was enough space to turn around anyway. Thankfully a mooring was available an Orca was quickly tied up. Just like last night it was a couple of Geocaches and a beer before returning to boat for dinner aboard and some fishing. 

The river quickly misted over so after dinner I grabbed the camera and took a couple of pictures.

post-28066-0-21259900-1438108140_thumb.j

post-28066-0-40229400-1438108211_thumb.j

post-28066-0-48898900-1438108226_thumb.j

post-28066-0-70334100-1438108249_thumb.j

post-28066-0-63577500-1438108266_thumb.j

post-28066-0-75232100-1438108275_thumb.j

post-28066-0-13055900-1438108289_thumb.j

post-28066-0-02621300-1438108319_thumb.j

post-28066-0-10837900-1438108335_thumb.j

post-28066-0-57200000-1438108357_thumb.j

post-28066-0-29294800-1438108412_thumb.j

post-28066-0-93015800-1438108639_thumb.j

• Like 7

Hi Alan

It was good to see you when we cruised passed when you were at Irstead, Orca looks very trim.

That squall made for an interesting crossing of Barton as we headed to Sutton. I could hardly see the marker posts let alone the "sailies" racing each other using every bit of the wind and the Broad.

Sounds like you have had a good time and I am looking forward to hearing more.

That's nothing Steve.. they got a lot closer!

Monday 13th July.

Once again up early following shark attacks and un-silenced engines. It was quickly apparent that it was a change over day for nearby Richardsons yard and most boats were using this as the last stop. Sadly I'm starting to worry any my skipper sences are taking over so I was up and keeping a lookout. Thankfully it was a nice mooring so I opened the canopy and chilled.. A family of swans came over and said good morning so I gave them some breakfast (Floating carp food). Sadly the rain returned although it was just a light shower. But I noticed that the fish started eating the duck food.. Dave appeared and decided it would be a good time to fish.. As did I and we spend a couple of hours fishing.. we both caught a few fish which was nice.

About 10pm once it quietened down we left for a shopping trip to Stalham. I aimed for the village staithe but sadly it was full up. So it was back to some spare spots on the entrance to Richardsons (on what is apparently known as "Death corner". There was a few boats moored here so we felt safe enough. Wondering towards the town we decided to wonder around the museum of the broads (I think it was more of the pending rain clouds), we have been in here before but many years ago so thankfully we forgot most of it.. it was good.. we found some old hire catalogues and it was nice to flick through and spot Orca's sisters :)  We spent a good hour and a bit in here.

Onto stalham for shopping, I refuse to use Tesco here, so it was the truely local shop for random bits, the butchers for meat and the small shops for other bits. It was strange though to see our friend here shopping to, he was the chap that gave us the boat in the first place and now lives locally so not too much of surprise though.. we chatted for a good hour and promised to drop round later.

Back on the boat (after peering into the boat building sheds - I'd s love to get in there and get involved.. maybe oneday :) is was just after lunch. I sat watching the newbies from Richardsons being show the ropes which brought back memories of our first trips on the broads. Finding a gap between the demo trips we left stalham, I thought it would be good to head for Neatishead before it got busy. It was a nice trip down. The little river into neatishead is very very narrow and from Orca's wheelhouse it seemed even more narrow, thankfully we didn't meet another boat on the way down and once at the end we spotted a gap and what appeared to be a boat leaving so I turned around easily (Not using the turning point as Orca turns really well (sometimes!)) and just hoovered around for a bit..sadly the boat leaving was simply being pulled into that gap so it was off to somewhere else (I don't think I've ever not got into here at this time of the day). 

Just as we left we run into a rocketship, it was clearly newbies out of Richardsons on one of Clives new posh boats. To be fair they was probably only doing 4 or 5 mph but they wasn't looking and didn't quite notice that there wasn't room, I noticed though and got Orca right over into a Private "Driveway", and sent Dave forward, annoying a slight crosswind developed so my plan was to hold the bow on the quayheading as so they could pass. We told the rocketship to slow down but sadly they waved back and ignored us. At this point as the water was sucked from below our keel Orca crept close towards the rocketship at which time Orca's shallow depth alarm sounded and I spotted the chain right behind our swimdeck (thoughtful), therefore I couldn't do anything and the rocketships windows where in the hands of the gods (I do guess the new bonded windows are plastic Clive?!). Thankfully they quickly passed and calling for Dave to walk us off the bank as we have no water to engage gear he did. Returning to the wheelhouse he reassured me that we didn't hit (which I thought did) but Orca's mudweight and chainpipe "was an inch from their windows". Oh well no harm down then.. 

(Instead of being arrogant, I'm going to share advise what I thought the other party should have done in such situactions so newbies aren't put off and can hopefully be prepared as we do all make mistakes but if we know what to do it makes them more fun! So here goes.. This section of the river is so narrow and should be navigated on tick over (ignore the rev gauge and the silly MPH boards), I know some boats need power though and we are no exception! so if you find you need power that's ok add slightly more power but not too much.. if you approach another boat and it's so narrow then you do need to pretty much stop and be prepared to fend the boats off gently so you can pass.. It is easier said than done but in general things are easier done slowly.)

Thankfully we spotted gay's staithe looked to have an empty space although annoyingly right on the end. I approached forward but it quickly became clear we needed to reverse in as there wasn't enough space to turn (considering most of the boats were nice long ones too!).. So I gently reversed out and turned around in a larger spot and proceeded to reverse in.. Thankfully Dave understands what I was doing and was out to fend us off, I pretty much reduced power down right down and Dave walked Orca in. Although I had to turn into the mooring to position for stern on, but very gently as we had to pivot on the bows of other boats and I could see mudweights level with Orca's windows (and Dave struggling!) typically at the this point a side wind also caught us and made the turn that much stronger although thankfully the NBN Burgee flying from the pullpit caught a tree and stopped the turn.. we then backed in. I must admit it didn't look very controlled and once the engine was off I recollected and decided it probably wasn't the best idea considering how close boats came to our windows but no damage was done and lesson learnt (we don't need to squeeze into tight moorings really).

Once off the boat a chap who was on a small tented sailing boat came over and said "I thought you was a hire boat.. I wish I knew you knew what you was doing, I was worried".. Reassuring him I said "Not quite sure I knew what I was doing to be honest but at least I missed you ;) ".

I needed a beer so we decided to lock up and walk up to the pub at neatishead. It was a bit of a walk and the typical rain didn't help but it wasn't too bad. They had wherry on and I grabbed my first Ale trail sticker! We decided that the BBQ planned for tonight wasn't going to happen so decided to order food. It was the first time in here since it was modernised and thankfully it wasn't as bad as I was worried (I'm all for modernisation but I do like the old country pubs). As we finished the sailors from beside us arrived but we was down so wished them an enjoyable lunch. I had spotted a geocache was nearby so we decided to take a look, it was a tough one but we found it but sadly no pen so agreed to return back tomorrow. 

Back to the boat, thankfully the walk seemed closer, the moorings were empty so I decided to hide a geocache here!.. by this time the sailors returned and we had a quick chat, the conversation quickly turned towards the boat (Typical question.. "is this your boat") so we explained and invited them aboard.. showed pictures and explained everything. They explained that they tour around (europe) in their little 15foot sailing boat and had already spent 5 days aboard (it's seriously bare bones sailing.. bucket and chuck it even!), this was the first broads trip and they started at Upton and have been up to potter and under and then up to here the last couple of days. They had met rock climbing so sleeping in a 15 foot sailboat was noting compared to sleeping in a tent hanging off a mountain! They also knew friends who had been aboard the first sailing boats to pass the northern passage in canada (Atlantic to pacific coast via the artic circle).. it was a really good chat.. proper sailing tales.. A few beers were drunk and it was a late night but a good night with company aboard. I did give them the nbn website details as so they can read this.. hopefully they do and safe sailing on your next trips ;)

post-28066-0-61006700-1438206651_thumb.j

post-28066-0-40446000-1438206708_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44904100-1438206716_thumb.j

post-28066-0-30745000-1438206773_thumb.j

post-28066-0-65601000-1438206817_thumb.j

• Like 5

Hi Alan

It was good to see you when we cruised passed when you were at Irstead, Orca looks very trim.

That squall made for an interesting crossing of Barton as we headed to Sutton. I could hardly see the marker posts let alone the "sailies" racing each other using every bit of the wind and the Broad.

Sounds like you have had a good time and I am looking forward to hearing more.

Hi Gary, Nice to see you too! You was really our first NBN flag spotted on the northern rivers!  Thanks for your kind words too. Your boat there looked really good too.. Sadly this first week is already a bit of a blur so I don't quite remember the winds only the icecream we had on the way over lol. There's plenty more to come.. sadly we didn't really have a good time but it was still nice to be away I guess :) Hope to spot you again soon cheers

• Like 1

Really enjoying these tales Alan - keep 'em coming! It's really helping with not pining away the days to september too much as well....  :D

:) You might want to stop reading in a couple of days.. sadly the trip goes down hill very quickly and it won't be a good advertisment for the broads (Iain has the mod buttons at the ready!!). But I'm going to tell it as it happened.. but hasten to add, I've never experienced a trip as bad so this really is a rare occurrence... It should be nice and calm in September though although I understand both Steve and Debs and my parents are out at some point so you may want to keep a close look out ;) 

• Like 1

Hi David, We've always been up Easter and August and never noticed this.. I think the problem is we forgotten how busy it is and also now I'm experienced away from the broads and we've been out with experienced crews (and larger waters) and I read a few books and got a few certificates. so such actions are a complete shock to the system. Possibly too before it was all part of the fun whereas now it's alarming and I can see the potential dangers :shocked ..

Hopefully we will get used to it though and it will soon become the norm and perhaps eventually be part of the fun again but the broads are certainly unique though and close helming with inexperienced crews is a massive challenge!! I know for certain we won't be up on the northern rivers during the high season again, two weeks aboard is far too long for my nerves so it will be a few week long trips (as you say Easter (June) and September!!) and Orca will never be based up north! 

(Iain feel free lol) 

• Like 2

Hi David, We've always been up Easter and August and never noticed this.. I think the problem is we forgotten how busy it is and also now I'm experienced away from the broads and we've been out with experienced crews (and larger waters) and I read a few books and got a few certificates. so such actions are a complete shock to the system. Possibly too before it was all part of the fun whereas now it's alarming and I can see the potential dangers :shocked ..

Hopefully we will get used to it though and it will soon become the norm and perhaps eventually be part of the fun again but the broads are certainly unique though and close helming with inexperienced crews is a massive challenge!! I know for certain we won't be up on the northern rivers during the high season again, two weeks aboard is far too long for my nerves so it will be a few week long trips (as you say Easter (June) and September!!) and Orca will never be based up north! 

(Iain feel free lol) 

Hi Alan,

I only ever been once high/high season on the Broads, and two days was more than enough up on the Northern rivers. Its a madhouse, and you do need to keep your wits about you.

In saying that, the biggest problem and I should imagine even more now with even less mooring options is, you need to put your cruising hours in early, that gives you half a chance of a half decent mooring.

For those who like to mud plug, then as long as you are well stocked up, and perhaps have a dinghy there is no trouble at all, or shouldn't be.

I am off to watch the Third Test. Have fun! 

An example of the busy Wroxham taken recently.

post-18022-0-43945900-1438249398_thumb.j

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Hi Iain.  

That's the thing I guess..people are now more focused on rushing to get to the next prime mooring spot instead of casually relaxing and enjoying the whole experience of cruising about.  We was up 10 years ago we did just that.. you casually cruised about and there was plenty of moorings we always got a spot at ranworth and horning parish.. had a hour wander round and onto the next. But now it seems like everyone is up at the crack of dawn and by 11am they was anchored in tonights overnight spot (With the attitude of "yay we made it to Ranworth"). Chatting to the sailors (mentioned in the last post) they noticed this and we both agreed it makes no sense... If everyone just did more cruising and just casually took a mooring as the evening settled in then it would free up the main spots and give everyone the chance to stop off during the day.. (I really don't understand why people would spend up to £2.5k on a boat and use in such manner!!) Perhaps the answer is to reduce the 24 hour moorings to 8 hours during the high season so people can't "hog" moorings all day and into the evening, and plus encourage more mud weighting.

And geez that picture of wroxham now looks like a nightmare!! Sod that! 

Enjoy the cricket :)

cheers

• Like 3