The Adventures of Orca

JawsOrca

Thank you Alan for a most enlightening blog! The Highs the Lows, warts and all, just as it should be IMHO.

I think eleven days is good and a fortnight great IF you get the weather. It has been a pretty driech summer up till now, up here, but thanks to your brill pics its been nice to see some sunshine, but a pair of WHITE feet :norty: Bare! Was the boat moving at the time? :naughty:  Seriously, thank you for sharing yours and Dave's holiday with us all.

Now enjoy your work and repairs this weekend to Orca!  :Stinky

cheers Iain

• Like 4

Thanks Iain, It's been a hard write considering I'm always one for positive thinking and I guess I represent the forum but this blog needs to be honest and explain it as it happened and not polish anything  .. otherwise there's not point in doing it...

Thankfully too my camera has been serviced and I brought a replacement charger for it as I lost the last one (2 3 and four!) so I can get back out and start taking decent pictures again instead of using the mobile!! 

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Iain, It's been a hard write considering I'm always one for positive thinking and I guess I represent the forum but this blog needs to be honest and explain it as it happened and not polish anything  .. otherwise there's not point in doing it...

Thankfully too my camera has been serviced and I brought a replacement charger for it as I lost the last one (2 3 and four!) so I can get back out and start taking decent pictures again instead of using the mobile!! 

cheers

cheers

Perfect timing chap!

• Like 1

Great write up and photos. Think as you say you adapt to the space . As a child we used to do a month with 4 of us every August on a 27 foot boat. It was always and still is the bathroom which seems huge when you return home. Lovely day already in Nelsons county! Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A truly epic story, Alan and much appreciated.   :clap :clap :clap

We've been very busy the last few days and I've only just caught up with the story from post #186....

"Stumbled over... tried to take some pictures" .....  I'll have you know that I stumble mostly everywhere with the state of my knees! And it was getting pretty dark while I was trying to take those pics!

• Like 1

Great tale Alan

Just look back at how far you've come. This time last year it was all work (and you told us the highs an lows then as well) and looking forward to the day you would get Orca to the Broads and now you've had your first proper holiday.

I'm sure there have been plenty high points of the trip (and some great photos to prove it) and they are what will stick in your memory, not the bad points

Also it was the height of the silly season after all

So until next time..........theres always a next time!

• Like 4

Thanks guys :)

"Maintenance trip"

Saturday 8th August 

We arrived at the yard at about 11.30am it was already a really lovely sunny day. This weekend was just a maintenance weekend though so nothing special.

We got quickly to work, ripping out the old steering cable which came out without too much of a struggle and then put in the new cable.. The old one was seriously dead with iron filings clearly visible but it thankfully shows how well constructed it is as it lasted. I got out the way and left Dave to it.

Steve and debs where down so I went over and annoyed them for a bit, we had a little spin out of the river (why not!). Once back I wondered over and Dave had finished and just tiding up.. all good, thankfully the steering wheel fitted so we didn't need a new steering wheel (Although maybe oneday I'll get another one lol). Thankfully everything was all good, the cable was long enough and everything fitted perfectly (Although the plastic bezel didn't but that's easy to get a replacement) .. yay!).. I tried the steering and it felt very different.. like a new boat (not what I know what that feels like). I naturally wanted to go and play. I invited Steve out and Debs to join us, (once debs woke up from a quick afternoon nap) we jumped on the boat.. Geez the steering feels very very different.. it's so light and I was worried it wasn't working but no it's working it's just nice and new :) On the main River Debs likes the way Orca leans over when we turn, as it really does lean over like a powerboat lol.. so we did some turns to "test it".. We are still getting some feedback at tight turns but it's all ok and still feels really nice.. Steve and debs steered in turns down to st olaves before we turned around and made it back into the yard.. There was a wind and yeah it was hard work to get back into the marina but eventually (I gave up) we moored up (sideways - Don't worry Spider I missed you :)

We both popped over to Lady P and gave them both a hand with a couple of things before all of us running off for a chinese buffet! Back to the boat for drinks aboard Orca and a good chat :)

Oh forgot to mention, we had the pleasure of meeting one of JanetAnnes humans lol.. Great chatting to you though and looking forward to more chatting next week! cheers

Sunday 9th August

Up early as it was already getting hot, We promised Steve and debs we would help them with a few a bits, which we did. Before packing up for the Drive home just after lunch.  

• Like 6

All help was much appreciated :)

Thanks to you both.

Helming Orca was a real pleasure having followed most of the restoration. A big thank you for 'allowing' us to have a play. I have to confirm that turning Orca is a LOT of fun ;)

cheers

PS a message from Deb ....... Do it again, and again, go on one more turn :)

• Like 3

To be or not to be

Friday 14th August 

Up straight from work... We had a sneaky walk around Beccles and was kinda spotted by Griff (although not sure he recognised us in the dark lol).. Chinese take away in hand back to the boat for 10pm (yup far too late for chinese!).

Last weekend though we spotted some water in the bilge and hoping it was rain we dried it last weekend so we opened the engine bay up and sad to see more water. Although it was just a little more and clear that the two bilge pumps hadn't kicked in so it really wasn't much.  Although further inspection it was clear that the transom plate was leaking so in our opionion it wasn't wise to take her out and 4 hours down to beccles and back.. (Yup really gutted).

Saturday 15th August 

We thought about tightening the bolts and heading off to Beccles but Dave really didn't want to though as he was worried about making it any worse, and it's only a slight weep at present. 

We had to grab the anodes from Brian wards this morning I aimed to be there as they was opening but it was a late one yesterday so yup  10 out the door over reedham ferry (we had to queue!) 11 in brundall. Then straight down to beccles (Via postwick this time!). 5 hours in beccles taking pictures then back to the boat and Dinner in the Dukes head.. 

Sunday 16th August 

Packed away and heading home just after 9.. Not much more of a leak so we are confident the pumps will cope at present whilst we can work out what the next step is. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MrP. Sadly she is a bit sick at the moment.. really sucks not be out enjoying the rain lol ;) 

If you are a bit bored you may want to take a look at the first part.. The restoration from day 1: http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/topic/4481-sabre-28-cruiser-project 

I have had a little look, & when I get some spare time to ''myself'' lol I will make a brew and sit and read, just the first few pages reminded me of my first project boat when I was 17! yes 17. an old hearts cruiser Ocean 30. If I can find some photos I will post them :)

• Like 3

I have had a little look, & when I get some spare time to ''myself'' lol I will make a brew and sit and read, just the first few pages reminded me of my first project boat when I was 17! yes 17. an old hearts cruiser Ocean 30. If I can find some photos I will post them :)

Gosh! The bug certainly caught you young!  :clap   :clap   :clap

• Like 1

Gosh! The bug certainly caught you young!  :clap   :clap   :clap

Caught me when I was a kid holidaying with ma & pa, they took me on boats before I could remember all over the place, but I think when the bug started I was about 13 (same time I got seriously into fishing) we then started hiring richo's boats 2-3 times a year! I can then remember I paid the favour back when I was 16 with my first lot of wages and took them on a holiday, a suprise birthday gift to my mother, a broadland moon hampton lol. (but was still good fun)

Thats the same year when I started saving for my first boat, a norman 23 from NYA at the age of 16:Stinky, then saved more, sold the norman for a small profit and bought the old ocean 30 for 10k from paul richardson.

Cut a long story short... brought the ocean 30 back to my dads yard and began, 12 months later took her back to stalham and launched her, all freshly painted, filled:naughty: & refited interior.

Had her for approx 5 years, going all over the broads and spending all our spare time on her, she never wanted for anything, just chugged along all day.

Then my wife got pregant with our 1st and thats when I sold her (again for a small profit:naughty:) and have been concentrating building up our company over the last 10 years.

Last year was the year we finally had time to get back into owning a boat (we now have a superb team of staff I can rely on & trust!) so searched for our current bayliner, but now we have our 3rd on the way and thats why we are now looking bigger.

Will post some pics when I get a chance to find them :)

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Orca's Come Back Weekend!

So just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.. ORCA'S BACK!!

Following Orca's recent shark attack,  She's nicely relocated away from Bruce and co down south.  Here's a brief autumn tale!

Saturday 19th December.

It feels even different just the run up in the car, the sat nav tells us to use the new road, a dual carrageway (A/M11) all the way from London's famous car park.  We arrived into Nelsons county 2 hours later.. The postwick road spagetti's junction looks finished but I think with some irony the sat nav tells us to use the wee junction just after, up through Plumsted (if only it was as close to Plumstead London.. There was no traffic Wroxham bridge and you immediately notice that at this time of the year Norfolk is returned back the locals and feels very different. Very Norfolk :) 

We turned into Tesco's car park at Stalham, made use of the cheap fuel and filled up some jerry cans for Orca, parked up we wondered into town (I try to refuse to use that tesco). We headed for the butchers for some yummy looking meat (The butchers there is amazing, a million times better than Tescos), 4 sausage rolls for lunch the off next door for frozen croissants and pasties and other forgotten supplies.

This weekend was a bit of a sudden idea, the thought of wrapping presents or a weekend away on the boat.. the weekend won, we also wanted to check on the boat and do a couple of small jobs as we are hopefully spending a few days over new years, so wanted to make sure all is good and well.

Boat was loaded with 2 weeks worth of supplies! All was well with her, so engine on. The plan was to make for ranworth although the swimdeck took a beating during the recent winds so it was kinda in bits :huh: so not sure we was going to make it! We navigated out of the berth with no problems, hitting nothing :dance Onto the main river, we really was the only boat, Amazing! A bit further down we passed another boat and there was a few more around but still immediately relaxing and jumpers off it was just t-shirt weather!

Irstead staite was empty and Dave wanted a low bank to repair the swimdeck so we moored up there. The swimdeck is just canopy fittings, I wanted a welded one but no Dave wanted to try that... hmm lol, so for now he had to replace the screws for nuts and bolts and there was a few of those so it took some time.  He had to rush a bit though as the skies started to turn yellow, reminding us that it's really not the end of september (as it felt) but a week before christmas :huh: thankfully he finished just after three but it was already getting dull. 

Engine on we decided to make for Neatishead as at least there's a pub there and there was no way we would get to Ranworth before it got really dark and I'm a bit inexperianced with Orca on these rivers at night.  The sunsetting over Barton looked lovely though. I spotted a hose at hose at gayes staithe and made a mental note, Orca's tank was dry! Onto Neatishead it was nice to think that we wasn't going to come across hireboater on the bends (certainly as it was dusk!), almost missed the moorings as it was empty! I've never ever seen it empty! Annoyingly I noticed there was no hose here, we needed water so I said to Dave we will have to run back to Gayes. Off we went, there was a hireboat here (from faircroft) so on the second attempt we moored up on the end of the quay near to the water hose. (I need to learn how to drive again!).

Off again, back to neatishead (we thought the boaters here would appreciate the moorings to themselves and it's a long walk to the pub there).  It was now pitch black and it was tough navigating the river, thankfully the sky was clear and the moon was bright so the water shinned back, lighting the way. All moored up safely, we sat and relaxed for a bit considering it was only about 4.30pm!

The white horse was quiet but it quickly filled up, the food was yummy though and it's a nice thought to think this is probably our new local (out of season).  Back to the boat is was an early night.

Sunday 20th December.

It was a warm night, we had the heating on for about 20 mins last night but the hatch was open and it was still warm one. Much warmer than being at home!

I didn't really sleep too well, I think I was too warm and there was little wavelets on the hull and sadly Orca needs to prove she's fixed. Bit surprised as I peered out the curtains I saw lots of fisherfolk looking back! Dave had tidied up already and tried Orca's christmas present which is a window vacuum, which worked well, the windows were bone dry . As I woke up I will still stuffed with last nights grub so there was no way I could manage the planned fry up, so croissants it was and Yummy was they! I wanted to head down to How hill for a wander but the estate there was sadly closed (I googled last night in the pub!) and it was erm late so Dave said we should really head back to the berth as we had bits to do there. So yup no more playing. Engine on and allowed to warm up I carefully reversed out, sadly one fisherfolk wasn't fully awake and forgot to remove his lines, I just gave thumbs up and got the same back so he it probably got away with it.. During the day light I have no idea how we came in here last night! It is narrow in places! I gave Dave the helm just as the river widened and he took us back to Stalham. He's not helmed since we put the new steering and throttle in and mentioned she feels much nicer now. She really is, very relaxing. I motored into the berth for the first time, apprehensive was an understatement but the wind was on the nose so it was easy, I didn't hit anything :) 

Tidied up, I washed the superstructure down again, it's looking whiter by the day (She went green as on the hardstanding she was under a tree :( ) we made up some mooring lines and added a few fenders we brought so she's all happy.

It was nice to be back out and it feels very different being up north.  It's very special out there this time of the year and I'm certainly looking forward on spending more weekends just like this :)

cheers 

20151219_122002.jpg

20151219_151006.jpg

20151219_151021.jpg

20151219_152333.jpg

20151219_152532.jpg

20151219_174845.jpg

20151219_174846.jpg

20151220_101551.jpg

20151220_101830.jpg

20151220_103735.jpg

20151220_103746.jpg