Can't get enough of it or what!

Wendy & I met up with her youngest daughter and her husband this morning, for what seems to have become a fortnightly session of Ten Pin Bowling on a Sunday morning at our local bowling alley. 

During the bowling session, we got to talking about holidays and Wendy asked her daughter and son-n -law if they had ever considered having a boating holiday, to which they seemed to have never actually thought about, as they usually go abroad for a few weeks and spend another week, usually somewhere like Cornwall.

So we asked if they would like to spend a week next summer (2016) with us (as a foursome) on a Broads holiday, to which they seemed quite interested. We haven't chosen a date yet but a couple of boats in the Richardson's brochure have caught our eye, one being Broads Sunset, which has two separate double cabins both with their own separate bathrooms. Two more slightly cheaper boats are Sunlit Horizon & Sensation, which have similar sleeping arrangements (2 double berths & bathrooms). Sharing the costs between us will work out cheaper than it will cost just the two of us if we went on our own.

So not only can't we get enough of the Broads ourselves, it looks like we have now convinced two more members of our family, to give boating a try. They both seemed quite keen on the idea, and I am sure they will get the bug once they have tried it. Lewis, Wendy's son-in-law hasn't yet decided whether to order a Captain's suit or a pirate outfit, but knowing him, gawd knows what he might end up with. One thing is for sure, it is going to be a great holiday with Lew aboard as he is the life and soul of any party, a laugh a minute.

Yes and Lewis did beat us all at Bowls, great fun though!

Once we know the dates, we might book this, whilst we are down there in April for our holiday.

• Like 6

That's brilliant Geoff, I'm sue it will be an excellent holiday, we hired Sensation a few years ago with another couple before the kids came along, they are a fantastic boat for two couples, with the two en-suite cabins being either end enables both couples to have some privacy. You can't beat centre cockpit type Boats, great for having the roof back and cruising on a summers day.

All your choices of Boat are excellent, personally I would go for the older type of Boat, we prefer a Boat with a bit of character, good luck with whatever you choose and let us know, we're a nosey bunch Lol

Grace :kiss

• Like 1

Thank you Grace. I agree with you on choice of boats, that's why we fancied these one berth at each end, with the lounge cockpit in the centre arrangement. Ideal for two couples. Once we have finalised everything, regarding the dates, boat and  booking we will let you all know. For the time being though, it's just less than five weeks to our holiday on Star Gem, which we are so looking forward to. It will be nice to get my old sea legs working again. :dance  

• Like 2

Just had a thought Geoff, have you looked at Broadland Mars? A fantastic boat and bloody good value for money in my opinion. Mars is identical to Sunlit Horizon and Sensation the only difference is that instead of a bath there are bunk beds in the smaller cabin, very handy for storing all your clothes etc (even your beer and wine) must get priorities right Lol  :naughty:

Grace

• Like 2

Just had a thought Geoff, have you looked at Broadland Mars? A fantastic boat and bloody good value for money in my opinion. Mars is identical to Sunlit Horizon and Sensation the only difference is that instead of a bath there are bunk beds in the smaller cabin, very handy for storing all your clothes etc (even your beer and wine) must get priorities right Lol  :naughty:

Grace

Just had a look at Broadland Mars and I see what you mean. (missed that, when looking through the brochure). That additional smaller cabin, would be handy for storage, instead of the sit in bath. It has two showers like the other boats, so that's all we will need. It also has a Saturday start day, which will suit Lewis & Julie better, regarding booking their holidays. We don't have that problem, being both retired. So thank you for that Grace.

We looked at some of the Brinks boats, but they are too expensive, compared with Richardson's. We will have a look for similar boats from other hirer's, just to see what's on offer, before we decide, but I think it will be Richardson's when it comes to the final choice, for both the price and style of boat.  :kiss

• Like 2

All the boat yards on the Broads are brilliant  but you won't go wrong with Richardson's, in all the years we have hired (since a little girl with my parents) we have only ever had a couple of small issues which were dealt with swiftly and with great Professionalism. With the best range of Boats to choose from ranging from budget to really posh ones, what's not to like  :love  I should get paid for this Lol

Grace  :kiss

• Like 4

All the boat yards on the Broads are brilliant  but you won't go wrong with Richardson's, in all the years we have hired (since a little girl with my parents) we have only ever had a couple of small issues which were dealt with swiftly and with great Professionalism. With the best range of Boats to choose from ranging from budget to really posh ones, what's not to like  :love  I should get paid for this Lol

The things this young lady will do to be able to afford another pair of shoes!!! :naughty: Clive drop her 50p in the post! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Right, enough of shoes :norty: ..... Geoff, Gracie is right in what she is saying. I would however suggest a boat from the Acle yard, this would give you options to go North or if the tides were right at takeover, head South.

I am speeking from experience, as I hired from AJ boats from Acle for manys a year, also had from Anchorcraft and Bridgecraft too. 

I have not hired personally from the Acle one, but have read many a good report, and Robin has always spoke highly of the yard there.

I am sure which ever one you choose to book with your friends, you wont be disappointed. :)

cheers Iain.

I am looking at all the options Iain, as there is so much to choose from. Herbert Woods have some nice choices, with the cabin arrangements that we are looking for (double aft & fwd en- suite cabins). Some have extra single/bunk cabins as well, which would be ideal as extra storage space. Their prices are not bad either, it's so difficult to choose really. But we are talking June 2016 for this holiday, so plenty of time to look yet. The prices may have gone up by then, but by booking with Richardson's again, may benefit as far as discount is concerned.

Oh why is there so many boats to choose from. It's just choosing the right one that suits your requirements for the best price really. 

Oh why is there so many boats to choose from. It's just choosing the right one that suits your requirements for the best price really. 

In days past you would have had 1500 to choose from! :naughty: One of the ex Le Boat boats at Herbert Woods, would have a fair chance of getting through that hole! PH Bridge! One of the Ex Pilots has mentioned that class before.

cheers Iain.

Geoff,

Watch out for the discount deals. I booked next week's boat last August and got 5% off 2014 prices. I also got a discount from BB for September because I booked in December last year. By the way, I'm on Rhapsody the same week you are on Topliner, so I'll say hello in the BB yard.

• Like 1

Geoff,

Watch out for the discount deals. I booked next week's boat last August and got 5% off 2014 prices. I also got a discount from BB for September because I booked in December last year. By the way, I'm on Rhapsody the same week you are on Topliner, so I'll say hello in the BB yard.

Eric

We will keep a look out for you. We are staying in the Northern broads for that week and as we won't be able to get under Wroxham & PH bridges with our boat, it limits where we can go. We will certainly keep an eye out for you, throughout the week and the kettle will always be on, if you see us moored up anywhere.

But until then, we have the April holiday to look forward to, aboard Star Gem.

Hi G&W

Rather than hijack the Hickling Broad thread i thought it best to post this here

You really must try and go under Wroxham Bridge and up to Coltishall it is stunning, probably my favourite part of the whole system. When you get to the end of navigation there's plenty of moorings and some nice pubs, the Rising Sun I think it's called is riverside and they do a lovely Steak, the journey up to the pubs is unforgettable, the water is so clear you can actually see the fish.

We have tied to trees to moor up for the night along that stretch, you really do feel like you are the only people on the planet, all you can hear is wildlife and water, we moored up there on Broadland mars one really warm night and had the cockpit open until midnight, it was magical. I don't think people should pay for therapy to de-stress, just spend a couple of nights up there Lol

• Like 5

Hi Geoff,

The pub next to the Rising Sun. the Kings Head, is a bit more upmarket, or was the last time we were there. But the food was of a very good quality, and priced accordingly.

As Grace says, very much worth a visit, and a good chance of getting pics of Kingfishers.

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Hi Geoff & Wendy

I've hired Broads Sunset, it is a lovely boat, the best night sleep I've ever had on the Broads in the Bow Cabin, the only downside is the size which can be a little cumbersome mooring, especially in the busy season. I agree with Grace 100% about Broadland Mars, it really is a great boat, great value and good at getting in spaces at busy staithe. I have hired Mars twice, and really have a deep affection for it, it was our first boat. I am back on the rivers in April and we have hired Broads Harmony, which is Sunset's sister boat, we would have gone for Mars again but we are on the water for 10 nights this time. Both boats are great for getting under bridges (except PH).

Listen to Grace's advice, she really has her head on right, agree with her about Mars, and SO agree with her about Coltishall, best place on the planet, and the journey there is magical, we make the trip there everytime we visit, and always eat in the Kings Head, their Sausage and Mash should win awards. Next time your there Grace, try a Sausage &Mash in the King's head, see if we agree 3 out of 3!

Enjoy your holiday

Simon

post-704-0-88293600-1427139147_thumb.jpg

post-704-0-29110900-1427139246_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Oye, get off my Boat Lol, a very warm welcome aboard this lovely Forum Simon.

I will most definitley give the bangers and mash a try next time we are there, Mars is indeed a smashing Boat, I would say our favourite family Boat so far, we had Major Gem 2 last year and what a boat that is, the pictures in the brochures and on line don't do her justice, she is much better in the flesh so to speak

Very nice to have you on board :kiss

Grace

• Like 1

We got under the bridge for the 1st time last year, went passed the pubs upto the split in the river. now is it left or right there and how far to the end. The weed was up and only a channel clear so didn't go passed this point last year but will try again next month.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I think you cruise up the right hand side of the split, we have bottled out and turned round at that point as it seems very shallow, I do believe it's very pretty and peaceful up there with room for a couple of Boats to moor, you just need the courage to do it which I clearly haven't got Lol 

Grace

• Like 1

I must admit we drive up to coltishall with the car and have lunch in the pub by the river (I always get confused as there's two there)... It's a nice spot. We've only been through by boat a few times and it is a lovely spot... if you go up go past colishall (you can turn around carefully) and sit on the bow as the water past the pub is crystal clear and you can see the fish... certainly one of the best spots.. Don't forget upstream Beccles too, that comes a close second. cheers

• Like 1

The locks inn is a really nice pub, full of character (I won't ruin your visit without going into too much detail). We have actually driven up for the day from Kent just to go there before!.  Be careful with Beccles bridge though although the height is 8'6" the river does flood so make sure you talk to the chaps in the harbour office before going through and don't cut the corners if it's low as we have touched bottom before. cheers

• Like 2