good news for potter heigham

unclemike

On two occasions I have tasted Costa Coffee. The first occasion was in York. Having spat the noxious effluvium back into the cup I did a quick internet search to locate any colonic irrigation clinics nearby...just on the off chance the coffee grounds were being doubly recycled and waste product was being pumped from the clinic back into Costa.

It was not until I was forced to sample Costa again, in Norwich, that I realised the plain horrible truth. Costa Coffee is in league with the Broads Authority! All this gumf about cleaning Barton Broad...when in reality all the crud was being sieved out, supplied to Costa who then serve it back to the public as a warm, brown beverage resembling coffee. By a little management and some luck I managed to spill half the Broadland Mud sold to me as coffee and....I kid you not...at the bottom of the cup I discovered Nelson's hat! Proof positive!

Last week in our local Indian restaurant the waiter handed me the coffee menu which proudly proclaimed 'We serve Costa Coffee'. Even after consuming a Phall and most of Uncle Albert's Vindaloo I could not be persuaded to drink Costa...no matter the abuse my taste buds had suffered at the hands of the Birmingham cuisine, I'm daft but I'm not that daft.

Now a Costa at Potter would be a good idea...as it would avoid having to use lorries to transport the dredgings by road...just pump them straight into the Costa. And while I'm at it....don't buy those blue chocolate slushies close to a boatyard with pumpout facilities!  :norty:  :shocked

• Like 3

I seriously doubt (and hope)  that a provincial, seasonally populated place like Potter Heigham has any attraction for a major chain. 

I find myself agreeing with many comments here though. Potter is in need of more. It needs something for the children. It needs that god-awful waste ground where the Bridge Inn used to be cleaning and tidying up. 

it would benefit from an additional take-away, something that the Flower & Bunn (sic) and new coffee shop might consider offering in the way of pre-prepared quality meals that could be heated on-board. 

• Like 5

In defence of Costa I reckon that their chocolate drink is pretty darned good! Just a shame when their presence nullifies the uniqueness of a community. The same can be said of any 'big name' moving into a country town or village. Heavens sakes, we even have a Costa in the delightful Suffolk town of Southwold, famous for Adnams Broadside. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/first-costa-now-waterstones-could-be-final-straw-for-sleepy-southwold-9552898.html

I don't really know what all the fuss is about. I doubt Costa or any other major coffee shop chain, are going to open up in Potter Heigham. It's too small of a place to warrant one. I welcome this new cafe that will be opening shortly, which will at least provide somewhere to sit and have a tea/coffee and watch all the boat mishaps at the bridge.

Gongoozle Cafe would be an ideal name for it  :lol: .

I can survive a week without a Costa I suppose  :cry

• Like 1

Morning John... . not much info but Broadshaven been closed now for around 2 weeks and is understood that new people are going to re open/run it from this coming saturday.

I understand the last tenant just walked away. I heard something about a younger woman but cannot comment further  :shocked

Mind you I am not convinced that pub can ever be anything special. It needs demolishing along with that other thing that tries to pass itself as a food store. There will then be bags of room to build a nice pub and a store.

• Like 1

Can't comment on the last post, because I have never been to Potter Heigham before. But it doesn't sound very welcoming for a new business, if it could do with demolishing.

It has had a very chequered history: open, shut, open, shut and imho it is not a very welcoming place. I cannot see how it can be financially viable, especially so as not many locals frequent it out of season. Far better pubs than the Broadshaven have gone to the wall!

London Rascal's reference to the car parking spaces behind the Brosdshaven needs a little explanation perhaps. No-one is carving up the land at Potter Five years ago I formed a private company limited by shares called Bridge Car Park Company Ltd. The Company bought the land and the garages from Bridge Stores with cash raised from the Company's sixty-four shareholders, each of whom now owns leasehold a car parking space or one of sixteen garages for a peppercorn rent. To qualify as a shareholder you had to own a Thurne riverside property. You must realize that, before this facility was offered, riverbank bungalow owners were at the mercy of private landowners for car parking space. Now, sixty-four of them have car parking security guaranteed until 2085.

Absolutely Brilliant. At long last, somebody has done something very worthwhile for local people.

Yes, i know i`m FAR from local, but whenever we come to the Broads, we ALWAYS try to keep things local to the Broads wherever possible. Areal breath of fresh air that Swift  :clap  :clap .

As for the coffee shop idea, Get Costa or Starbucks in there, and any local teashop, or cafe will soon be priced out of buisness, then they`ll whack their prices up, which is what they did in our next door village down here :norty: :norty: .

KEEP THE BROADS A COSTA AND STARBUCKS FREE ZONE.

• Like 5

That's what I said when somebody was bemoaning the lack of 'Harvesters' and other grotty chains of pubs and eateries.  NO NO NO ... we do different here!

Hi Bob,

the only thing we go into a Harvester for is the all you can eat breakfast, which i have to say is very good. However, if a Harvester opened up in Loddon or Chedgrave, i`d still have breakfast or lunch in Rosie Leas.

• Like 2