Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

Hi Barry,

You were not mistaken, she is short, originally a 28/30 seater, they did not build too many that length but is suits me better as I am not a bus driver!

I didn't expect her to pass, I thought I was going to get a list of jobs but just an advisory on the exhaust :dance I am putting trims back on her but will all have to come off agin when I sort some new pannels fpr her..

Great pictures there Terry, and I am sure some great memories for you.

Clive yes I was up for the weekend, saw your brother a few times over the weekend, sure we will meet up soon. I hope to be up for a week from 10/7. Are you going to give Broadsventure here old name back?

Great news on the bus :teddy:

Hi Gordon...

He will be is serious bother if he dosn't two guns

Yes....Some very happy times spent with the Broadsventures...and Clive is so right about them getting a hammering during the season...but they were built strong to cope admirably...Being a 9 berth they appealed to the youth of the day and I have seen on many occasion dancing on the roof's...and were also hired by the schools for kids weeks.

I have to admit to having a soft spot for the Fulmar/Broadsventure and Broadlander classes having had many a holiday on them and having seen most virtually built from keel up.

It seems hard to believe that it is now 45/46 years ago that these built in Stalham and it will be great to see one of the old girls back in the water and at the yard from which she was born...A true credit to the men who created them...Clive has some very very good men working on her so she is in good hands :clap

All the Best

Terry

Hi Gordon,

I think there were 30 of the 42 footers (including one a foot shorter) when I started looking one had just been broken up, another had been broken the previous year and there is one more in not too good condition in Wayford, we sold a few as live aboards and they went all over the country ,Ouse Severn, Thames, Medway etc. It would be nice to know where (if any) others survive.

so to answer your question I think there are 2 although someone told me there may be one in Brundall somewhere as a liveaboard.

we built 9 X 36 foot centre cockpits of which about 5 'Swiftways' survive.

one 'Tranquil/Crusader' is about and 'Clarion' which was the last boat we built recently sunk in Yarmouth

I dont know of any others :cry

Perhaps these will jog your memory?

this is a list of desgns on Craigs Database...

http://www.horning.org.uk/stylegallery. ... ichardsons

and at the top of this page a list of what Dad built and what he bought...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4080&hilit=rose+marie&start=40

cheerscheersbarcheers

Thanks for posting that, I have spent many hours looking at Craigs database but have never actually looked at that page. Certaily brought back some memories the broadsventuresand Fulmars must have been some of the most magnificent of the Broads cruisers. I clearly recall the introduction of the Carabeans and realising they were the begining of the end of a special era

I have to admit to having a soft spot for the Fulmar/Broadsventure and Broadlander classes having had many a holiday on them and having seen most virtually built from keel up.

Terry Whilst never had a holiday on those specific boats, I have a soft spot for the broads cruisers built in the 50's and 60's, at that time we either hired the sailys, Golden Dawn, Stella Genesta Leander2 and others or hired houseboats. All the wooden boats have special memories, I admired their beauty as a lad and was specially sad when I either saw one badly handled or saw a previously varnished one painted white. Like you I watched the building in various yards with awe and admiration. :grin:

Hi Gordon,

Dad painted one White for the Blakes Brochure (Sunway I think in) She had a noticeably better booked season than the others, as always it is all about image, she must have appeared fiberglass.

As Terry will tell you the boats we fitted out in the 60s had all the latest yellows and other bright coloured formicas, mega fashionable then but enough to make you seasick now!

Dad painted one White for the Blakes Brochure (Sunway I think in) She had a noticeably better booked season than the others, as always it is all about image, she must have appeared fiberglass.

As Terry will tell you the boats we fitted out in the 60s had all the latest yellows and other bright coloured formicas, mega fashionable then but enough to make you seasick now!

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but as you say Ricko in the transition days from wood to GRP most fashionable people craved after plastic and chrome. Everybody seemed thoroughly bored with wood and old solid furniture. It must be remembered that whilst we look on the new materials used then as somewhat naff in those days they seemed fresh and exciting.

We all hoped that one day all boats would be like the moonraker. Very 007.

Thats right Loo, perhaps we will all paint our varnished hulls white so they look 'Retro' :P

The boat which had its hull painted white was Broadsventure 2. All others had 'bright varnished hulls' (1978)

Interesting point about the craving to be modern and involve plastic and chrome that happened in the 60s, indeed we consider it naff now when we see pictures from that era but there was clearly a craving to move on from was was seen as tired and austere. Maybe a desire to start anew following the war. My comment re the white hulls was based that as a kid I was convinced it was to cover up damage repair that would have looked tatty otherwise. On reflection with the wisdom of years, (well a little bit )it is obvious that a skillful boat builder would do a perfect repair

it is obvious that a skillful boat builder would do a perfect repair

yes but after a while different shades of mahogany or iroko will show the repairs, also deal is cheaper and does the same job ;)

Hi Clive...

And then painted white :lol::lol:

Going back to the painted hull trend if you recall Clive...One boat from each class was painted white...as you say for photo's for Blakes catalogue...1969?? for the 70's brochure's...I do have the full list if anyone interested :yawn:

Going back to the 40/42 footers in the fleet at the time, the following were all shown in Blakes with white hulls...

Fulmar 5 (T42) - Osprey 1 (S24) - Pacesetter 5 - Ex Fulmar 12 (T344) - Merlin 5 (S23) - Broadlander 4 (T767) and Broadsventure 7 (T415) later to be re-numbered 2 when the first 5 of the class were renamed Sunway...

The remaining boats in each class retaining varnished hulls :clap

Do hope this anorack stuff dosn't bore the pants off you :lol::lol:

Regards.... :Stinky

I have to agree with Clive if by deal you mean the likes of Russian red pine, that will probably last as long as if not outlast mahogany in fresh water, iroko will last longer but not much and you trade price too, pine two thirds or so cheaper than either of the others and as far as iroko is concerned workability, it is I believe a pig to work, the grain can reverse direction mid plank.

I am becoming suuuuuuch an expert now, there must be a boat builder out there ready to shoot me down in flames :oops:

cheers

Shame on you Clive, Deal is cheaper and will do the same job as Iroko or Mahog. cheaper maybe but ............... :o:o

No shame here Colin, what matters is the strength and finish, and if the finish is a nice painted surface then who is to know???

A few years ago we did a massive ammount of work on a very nice 'Jack Powles' built craft, but when we started taking it apart some of the original joints round the Apron were shocking but they looked nice from the outside. One of the boys on the yard said there was an old saying something like 'dont let the trailing edge hold you up' I think it basically means dont waste time perfecting what you cant see!

Terry,

I am glad you took an interest in Dads boats as finding out the info you have given me would have been a long tome coming from elcewhere...

Barry,

As for you becoming suuuch an expert, it seems that when you are interested in somthing and dealing with it every day you soon learn and remember it, I have noticed myself slowly becoming a bus nerd but dont seem to mind :lol:

Clive I bow to your superior expertise as far as boat building is concerned but as far as I understand Barry deal is deal and pine, with a higher sap content, is pine and probably more resistant to water ingress, maybe wrong and oppologies if I am. :teddy:

Shame on you Clive, Deal is cheaper and will do the same job as Iroko or Mahog. cheaper maybe but ...............

At least it is better than cardboard

Earlier in the year I bought a mirror dinghy. The guy proudly showed me a repair he had done on the bottom. Bit of I mess I thought really, involving piecinga bit in and glassing both sides with a 9" square of matting

When I loooked into this I was able to pull the glass off both sides in one piece :o:o

I then decided to do the job properly as he had used what I thought was 6mm ply ( the mirror is made of 5mm, hard to get and very expensive) having cut out his bit I discovered it was a sort of oak veneered cardboard. Not sure what it was certainly not MDF but you could tear the layers with your fingers in the form of little bits of paper.

Nice new 5mm in there now :grin::grin::grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been a bit quiet lately as there is lots to do, the boys have also been busy on Broadsventure XII.

We have made a plinth for the new toilet to go onto, we have also made a special bracket to hold the macerator pump at the correct angle for the pipes in the space allowed, brass elbows for the pump had to be made as we could not get any to fit.

The plinth for the toilet and water tanks is now being made but the space was measured today so the tanks are being fabricated ready for when we need them, it takes us about 3-4 hours for us to make an average tank in stainless steel.

post-503-136713559716_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713559989_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has ever driven one of these fine vessels will probably be aware that although they go forwards and backwards, the wind blows them sideways and they do not steer too well, this is because they dont have much of a keel and the propellor is set well forward of the rudder. There is not much we can easilly do about the keel but luckilly we found a shaft which came out of San Bernadette which was just a little too long (easy to shorten!) we also had an 'I' bracket which came back from the Thames which we knew would be useful one day.

With the propeller set further aft we can swing a bigger prop which will also give better handling just a little will need nibbling out of the skeg.

the reason for this work was because the rubber jumper behind the stern gland was looking a bit dodgey so while it is all apart you may as well do the whole job as you want it.

post-503-136713560014_thumb.jpg

I was always going to get new screens made as the outer screens are plywood, I was going to delay it until next time she was out as I seem to be missing the summer (would not have had time to be out on her anyway)

All of a sudden we decided to to make up some new screens which have not been started yet but this morning the screen bases which were pulled off on Wednesday started to go back on, these did not look too bad but underneeth them was the start of some problems so it is good that they are being replaced.

While they were off the fiberglass roof covering was extended to go uderneath the screen bases to the dash, this will stop water being able to seep down the edge and into the roof.

I am not putting rear screens back but will still need a drip rail, previously this had been put halfway over the hatch and the hatch only half opened, it will be replaced just behind the hatch so that I dont bang my head quite as often :)

post-503-136713560037_thumb.jpg

post-503-13671356006_thumb.jpg

I think you should buy a few more drills Clive (or perhaps shares in DeWalt) as you don't seem to have quite enough. ;)

one for a drill bit, one for the countersink and on for the screwdriver bit.

we get through batteries like they are going out of fashion, it is cheaper for us to buy a new drill with two batteries than to buy a new battery, so that is what we do :) saves no end of time too :dance