Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

Good to see the work in progress and looking forward to seeing the finished artical . Is BA in pondarosa Clive ?

Excuse me Colin. I Think you mean BV, not being a classic boat snob, I think you will find that 'BA' is a different boat entirely with what looks like a fiberglass hull :lol::naughty:

BV (Broadsventure) is indeed in the Ponderosa,

BA (Broad Ambition) is in the Wet boat Shed amongst other fine company ;)

unless you meant Broads Authority in which case I am not aware of them in my shed!

Sorry Clive :oops: of course I know where BA is, cant miss it and as you say in fine company and I guess BV will be joining the elite when finished. Would like to have a look at work in progress if I see you and you have a minute

Hi Clive

looks like Broadsventure is moving along swiftly i hope your going to make a scrap book to document all this not often you restore one of your farther boats. :teddy:

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Hi Clive...

Nice to see the work in progress last Sat and how she is now starting to look more like her old self...

Over the years from 84 to 2008 she had obviously undergone a number of internal alterations...The pics that you have just posted do not in any way reflect what she was really like when built and I can only assume that with the ravages of time some of the fittings have been changed as the original ones wore out...e.g the wash basin in for'ard toilet compartment...

When new, they had very upmarket (for their time) matching toilet bowl/seat and washbasin in a very nice shade of blue...very swish and something that other hireboats of the time (with a few possible exeptions) did not have...

I also don't recall the aft hatch as being hinged...Will try and find a pic to check this but feel that they were all on sliders and simply pushed back out of the way to give headroom from the wheelhouse...a brilliant touch that worked well.

Bulkheads also differ as they were made out of the formica pattern as shown on my avatar and later one's did have a variety of bright colours (as mentioned by you in another thread). Very in vogue for the mid 60's ;)

Do not steer too well :o:o:o

Clive...Clive...Clive...I'm speechless

Unless there was a problem under the waterline (rope or weed ect) these girl's handled like a dream...Having travelled miles on them I would have taken them anywhere (Potter Bridge the exeption of course)...Modern plastic boats now have bow thrusters...BV's didn't need them...a testament to the design and men that built them...

Get the Rose tinted glasses off Terence...time for bed

:Stinky

Hi Clive...

No...You certainly havn't offended me...it's just that I like to defend anything to do with Broadsventure's that might show them to be...what shall we say "Not perfect"

To be honest, like most craft on the Broads they know doubt had their shortcomings but I don't like to think that they had any :lol:

The perfect Broads Hireboat...Big...Strong...Spacious...Well fitted out...Superb decks...Choice of canopies...Easy access when stern on...Substantial deck fittings (chrome)...Good engines...Oh and nice to handle :lovepost-499-13671356277_thumb.jpg

All the Best

Terry

Hi Terry, you are right, they were built as wide as they were allowed so there is plenty of room inside, also someone once said to me about the decks "they were so wide you could play football on them!"

Nice picture, am I right in thinking it was taken from the bottom of the Black Hangar looking accross where the main road now is?

Thanks.

Spot on Clive... :clap

Remember standing on the jetty as if it was yesterday... :lol:

The BV had just been re-launched the previous day after having a new plank put in her bottom...I recall seeing her prior to this shot with 3 pumps going...Ah the pleasures of Wood :love

At the time, the refuelling jetty's (where the Minstrel/Serenade is moored) were in full time use on turnround days...Many a happy hour spent there :party:

All boats that ran from Kingfisher were at that time refuelled/watered/pump-outs completed from there before returning to the main quay...Hectic Days indeed...but Happy ones

Have you got the old crawler/bulldozer in the background stashed away somewhere in your collection?? ;)

cheersbar

Well each to their own I spose. Personally if a boat is made of wood then I like to see it, varnish and lots of it imho. and if it has to be painted,

then done in such a way to allow the characture of the wood to come through.

BV looking v. good btw, enjoying yur thread v.much

• 2 weeks later...

Loads of progress :dance:dance

we only really get the time for two of our blokes to be on her for two days a week, and sometimes it seems a bit slow as they also get called off to do other jobs (I am not priority :cry )

But just lately it all seems to be coming together, the cabin roof and decks have been stripped of fittings, the roof has been undercoated twice the hull has been rubbed down and stained, and the first coat of varnish has been applied to one cabin side :grin:

The new screen bases and screens have been made and will look fantastic when they are varnished :grin:

today there were 4 of the cleaners rubbing down the seams in the planks, two boatbuilders, and three painters attacking her. Tomorrow will see two coats of paint on the roof, first coat of varnish on the other cabin side and probably the primer on the decks and rear bulkhead, we should also be making the toerail which we have had plentyt of discussion about as they are not 'square' I may post a diagram to show how they should be....

on Thursday there should be one man in a closed shed varnishing all day on his own, that should see the second coat on the cabin sides but we will see how the plan changes!!

post-503-136713569737_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive...

Love those screens...just as if it was 1964 again ;) ...superb job from the lads cheersbar

As for the tanks...Left hand one - Toilet waste (inlet pipe not under deck)...Right hand one - Fresh water

She's really coming on nicely now...well done to eveyone involved :clap

All the Best

Terry (soon be Monday :party: )

Hi Clive

shes looks stunning nice to see what shes like out of the water.

what theme will you be going with at the helm a classic look with all the old original dials or an suspensive post look :grin:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Hi Jonny,

Not sure about gauges yet, I have not given it much thought, also I am only now deciding what to do with the internal layout as there is only one bed and it is not very big, I think the living area will be in the front and move the shower and toilet aft with a decent double room for me :wave

I am :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: (11 Nov) :dance

Clive when she gets her wetting i think you should get hold of the EDP farther & son together son restores one of farther's original boats i think it would make a great story for the general public who dont get the pleasure that we get with having you on here.

plus another peace of history for future Richo's sons & daughters to read. dont forget the champagne how about a slip launch like the RNLI do now that would be good to watch :grin::grin::grin:

see this is what happens i get talking about boats & i start waffling on :(:(

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice