Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

The boys drew exactly what they used to fit years ago and I went and got the wood. As there was no toerail there were conversations, and opinions were all different as to how they should be so just to be sure we looked at the boats in the shed, they were mainly 'correct' but different to ours in size so we carried on with our initial thought.

For the eagle eyed purists out there you will probably notice the cant (beading where cabin side meets the deck) is wrong but we shall not be replacing it as it is still good, perhaps another time...

Toerail should slope off to the outside of the deck and lean in towards the cabin sides...

the Cant should basically be quarter round, mine are not..

post-503-136713570133_thumb.jpg

post-503-13671357016_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713570449_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive

You have really overtaken us now, we have regrettably lost both our boatbuilder and our interior joiner, careless I know but they have moved on to pastures new.

Your job looks to be really coming along nicely, I just have a couple of questions if I may. Your decks look as if they have been fibreglassed, is this correct ? secondly what have you got on the cabin roof, it looks like ply covered in what ?. We are using epoxy quite extensively for the decks and cabin roofs. While I am on a roll are you (as a company) able to quote me for hardwood toerails and rubbers to a predecided profile, and do you think this would be competetive with say Tim Collins. I am sure you wont necessarily want to do this over open forum so please PM me if appropriate.

Anyway, a superb job by your guys and of course girls really beginning to look the dogs wotsits well done all. cheers

Hi Barry,

sorry to hear about your boatbuilders, I am sure you will land on someone new soon...

my decks and roof had been fiberglassed, the finish is not as smooth as I would have ideally liked but thats what was there and all we have done is paint over the red. fiberglass may not be everybodys cup of tea but it is the reason why we have not had to replace any roof, decks or beams for either.

we would quote for spindilling I got my wood from Tim Collin although we do get wood from Cushions too, they may be cheaper but we can only quote, we only have a few cutters for our machine but may have the ones you need.

all the best,

Hi Clive

i may be barking up the wrong tree but have to ask.

is there anyway of taking the GRP off like pealing it off or would you have to replace all the wood with the GRP on?

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Hi Jonny,

Fiberglass is a polyester resin and does not really stick to wood in any permanent way as it does not penetrate the surface so it would peel off fairly easily but I dont want to as I have enough to do and am keen to get on the water! also the water is only coming from above..

West system is a epoxy resin and much beter for bonding wood and is used as a glue in many instances, this is why it is more acceptable when sheathing wood as it penetrates the wood and forms a more permanent covering or sheathing as it will not let water get between it and the wood which is why it is better for sheathing a hull as stagnant water getting between wood and fiberglass will quickly rot the planks.

I must admit my personal knowledge and experience of epoxies is very limited so if I have got any of the above wrong I dont mind being corrected :)

when it done i think it'll be the best boat on the broad :grin:cheersbar:trophy

she will be in my opinion although she will never really be finished ;)

the varnish is gradually going on the cabin sides and the hull has had a coat and will next see the seams get filled with putty before having a few more coats of varnish, the rubbers have been put across the transom and we decided today that she should have a chine rubber fitted so that will be done too.

cheersbar

cheers Baz,

the girls are fantastic, they are perfect for doing that kind of job like rubbing down which just takes time so the tradesmen can be getting on with other jobs, also when there are no boats laying in to clean they will go round the yard and do the weeding or paint the sheds as well as loads of other stuff.