FB Wilds

Mark42

Hi Jonny

I think about 7 were built in total, possibly a few less even. Goodness knows where the others are. They were about 14ft wide so I doubt there any on the broads. I suppose it's not impossible the odd one could be tucked away somewhere in the UK, but think most, if not all are probably abroad. Maybe you could take on the mission of trying to track them all down?! :grin:

Dan

Here's a few more shots of the Wilds Capri 45'.

The hull is a very unusual shape, especially looking head on, and I'm sure Miss Thelma was like this, though I do not seem to have a picture, but I'm sure she's a modified Capri 45'.

The superstructures in the one from back in the day vary slightly, but the front view of one with the overhang at the front looks just like that bit on Miss (previously Maid) Thelma.

I seem to remember on Miss Thelma that on the roof there was a bit of an unatttractive bit of moulding on the sundeck where it joined the higher cabin at the front - was this from redesigning or covering up the sections that would have been stairs etc? Or was this a repair that had been done after damage. I cant quite remember how it looked in this area, but remember it definately caught my eye as looking 'wrong' one time.

Anyway.. here's some more piccies of them, and further information on them is at http://www.fbwilds.horning.org.uk/page8.html

Dan

P.S Clive, do you now regret selling her... you could have been the man to "change the scene and set the pace with a Wild 45'" to quote the brochure! :lol:

post-93-136713634718_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713634723_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713634726_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713634732_thumb.jpg

Hi Dan,

Nope, glad we sold her, just need to find a home for Sherridan and a few elysians and all is well!

When she was being built she was known as 'The block of flats' :lol:

To be honest I never liked her much, so I wont get too cross by that statement! I seem to remember when I saw inside her one time there were some rather dated (and pretty nasty!) pink laminates or something! :o

The nickname sounds about right.... they are a very odd, and not particularly pleasing design! I guess that quality has an appeal or interest in a way, but not my kind of thing really!

I used to prefer Miss Sherridan.... I remember her as Maid of England from being a nipper and the biggest boat in the brochure! Quite a good layout on her actually, and a more appropriate flagship of the late '70s I think than Regal Gem, Miss Thelma or whatever nickname you prefer! :naughty:

Dan

Only just come across this thread- seem to keep doing this!!

I know where Miss Thelma is (was last time I saw her a couple of months ago).

She is stil called Miss T and is moored on a BW mooring on the Aire & Calder near Goole in East Yorkshire (I can tell you the exact location but not going to post this as it's a public forum).

I did have a picture of her somewhere - I'll come back to you in a bit when I've found it.....

Looks rather out of place with all the narrowboats, however, it's amazing how many broads built boats there are on this waterway - several Hampton Safaris, lots and lots of Alphas and I know personally of two Sheerlines (a 950 and a 740). There are also several Wilds build craft on the River Ouse into York and at least one moored at Boroughbridge Marina just up river from York.

Best wishes,,

James

Interestingly, putting the builder 'Wilds' into Jim Sheads database at http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/boats.php, it throws back only a few results (I know it isn't always accurate as BW etc only rely on owners to supply builder and will record anything!) but this is an interesting one for a Wilds boat - come on Dan, what is it??

MISS CARLTON Built by Wilds Of Horning in 1964 - Length 12.8 metres (42 feet ) - Beam 3.7 metres (12 feet 2 inches ) 2 Diesel Inboard engines with a total power of 138HP. Registered with EA Thames Region number N0059 as a Non Hire Annual. Last registration recorded on 27/04/2007.

Miss Thelma is also recorded here, but claiming to have a 130hp engine and no builders name recorded!

cheers,

James.

she was built by Richardsons and had a Leyland BMC 6.98 (345) in her.

Hi Clive,

As in Miss T? What sort of cc and hp is the 6.98 as that's not a block I'm familiar with?

Best wishes,

James.

Quick Google search later....

Looks like a bus/commercial engine with some serious size - so the 130hp might not be far off then!!

Bet it's a huge old engine then if I am looking at the right thing - why would they fit something so big into a hire cruiser to you reckon - I know she's a big boat but....

Did you sell her with that engine in too Clive do you remember?

Best wishes,

James.

Hi Jonny,

Just out of intrest, what boats dont you like? :lol:

:lol::lol: Those bloody Calypso's probably!

I love all boat even the ugly ones well they dont appear ugly to me sometimes its a good thing but you a a realy realy nice boat its been there for ages nobody has used it whats they point give it to somebody that will IE ME :grin:

but then again it comes down to the groups of boaters that want perfection on a boats looks but that always isn't a good thing as sometimes they just look boring.

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Hi James,

yes, thats the engine, marinised by Bowman, Sherridan had one too and so did all of our Ultimate and Fine Gems,

A fantastic sounding engine, they glazed their bores though as they did not work hard enough, we dont run them now.

• 1 year later...
Wow! All those bathtubs in flames. Gone to hell where they all belong! :naughty::naughty:

Fred

p.s Long live real boats!

Needs a slap with a smelly rotten fish :naughty::naughty:

Jonny