Plea to fishermen

'Some' anglers should be a little more careful. I've fished for over 30yrs and wildlife and the riverbank or lake surroundings should be given as much consideration as most give to fish care.

I think the problem is exaggerated on the broads as many who know nothing about fishing buy a rod and reel and do what they think is right on their holiday.

Steve

• Like 1

'Some' anglers should be a little more careful. I've fished for over 30yrs and wildlife and the riverbank or lake surroundings should be given as much consideration as most give to fish care.

I think the problem is exaggerated on the broads as many who know nothing about fishing buy a rod and reel and do what they think is right on their holiday.

Steve

Yes Steve, my thoughts too.

There's a wide range of reasons why people take up fishing, ranging from people who appreciate all aspects of nature and wildlife and "dangle" a hook, through to pure "specimen hunters" and match fishermen solely interested in the poundage in their keep net and the cups and plaques that follow.

Care for the fish's welfare and the environment is strongly observed by all types of Anglers, yet a small minority give them all a bad name by carelessness with abandoned hooks and line.

I always carry a plastic carrier bag when fishing or even walking along the banks, and I'm sorry to say that hardly a week goes by without it getting used to bring discarded hooks and line home to my dustbin.

Not just hooks and line, but any discarded rubbish can be a threat to wildlife. I've rescued a gull, whose feet had become entangled on a plastic carrier bag (!), so it could float OK, but couldn't take off because of the weight of the water-filled bag.

I've also rescued boathooks and fenders, floating along the river. Even a mudweight once - that wasn't floating, but the line to which it was attached was. Propellers beware!

FISHERMEN......

PROPER FISHERMEN.....

REAL FISHERMEN.....

FISHERMEN WHO SPEND HUNDREDS AND SOMETIMES THOUSANDS ON THEIR GEAR.....

FISHERMEN WHO GO FISHING......

DO NOT DO THIS.....

People who go fishing, once in a while, whether on holiday or just to try it, buy a £5 rod and do this.....

REAL FISHERMEN SHOULD NOT BE TARRED WITH THE SAME BRUSH AS........

I like to think that even though not a REAL FISHERMAN, I do try to take care of not leaving anything behind, but a bad cast, gust of wind at the wrong moment, and my line is snagged.

The poor swan could have been tangled in line that was left "by accident"......

Now start the next thread about this happening in the closed season............ (if it did, but as the article said it had grown over, so it probably happened some time ago, but that won't stop someone saying it did happen in the closed season)

As paladin said, non fishermen (ie General Public) cause more harm to wildlife...

...................................................................................................

Fish1  Fish2

• Like 1

Steve's post hit the nail on the head.

I'm convinced that the pike decline both on the Broads and other popular venues has been exacerbated by people who have no idea how to deal with any unfortunate fish they may hook.

Unfortunately every "angler" who turns up with his massive treble two guns snap tackles and inexperience in unhooking pike  is fired up by tales of Norfolk pike !

It seems to be a given that anybody turning up for a Broads holiday must try for a huge pike to photograph and brag about.I wonder how many  pike die annually through being mishandled ?

• Like 3

Steve's post hit the nail on the head.

I'm convinced that the pike decline both on the Broads and other popular venues has been exacerbated by people who have no idea how to deal with any unfortunate fish they may hook.

Unfortunately every "angler" who turns up with his massive treble two guns snap tackles and inexperience in unhooking pike  is fired up by tales of Norfolk pike !

It seems to be a given that anybody turning up for a Broads holiday must try for a huge pike to photograph and brag about.I wonder how many  pike die annually through being mishandled ?

I always have a pair of forceps when fishing on holiday on the broads..........

I do not fish for pike, but have once, while reeling in a little roach had Mr Pike eat my catch.....

Forceps out, unhooked and put back quick, before he had me for tea....

:Stinky

• 2 weeks later...

I have actually refused to sell pike tackle to customers on a couple of occasions  as they clearly had no idea about their own safety nor that of their intended target species.IMHO Pike fishing should only really be conducted by those familiar with the creature or those under direct tuition from a person used to handling this fine species of fish. Even I as an experienced angler would be rather concerned if i hooked a large broads pike so i tend to always go fishing for them with an experienced friend.

Big bream are a lot safer to play and land so i tend to promote those to customers who are in experienced  and in the main they see the point.

Handling Pike demands common sense and respect for the animal. Most anglers are unaware of the fact that the pike though a predator is actually a very delicate fish and can easily die at a later time if mishandled

• Like 5