Behind closed doors.....

C.Ricko

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you are Terry,

I now know how Baldric feels when he finds stuff buried in fields :dance

I knew this was up there but did not know where, after lots of sweeping dust about I discovered this down the far end, there is a mountain of stuff piled up up there and are probably more drawings under that.

post-503-136713482718_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713482742_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713482769_thumb.jpg

HI Clive :clap

After all this time and still clearly visible...Thanks for going out of your way have a look, even it it mean't getting covered in 40+ yrs of dust. The last time any of those were used would be in 1966 as the next generation of "New Builds" were Ocean 30's when the TIDEWAYS came along. Didn't need frames any more :cry:cry

Can you still recognise which markings belonged to which class??

And I wonder whose writing that is...Maybe Rugby Aldred??...poss your Dads maybe??

Just think...The Boat you have now lovingly brought "Home" took her shape up there...This is stuff that "Dreams" are made of :love

And of course the other one at Wayford that looks a little sorry for herself :(

All the Best...Terry cheersbar

Hi Jonny :wave

Sorry to disapoint you but those markings were there well before I left school and done by someone a lot more knowledgeable about Boatbuilding than I could ever know. As a point of interest...

To my knowledge I think that the following were built at Stalham in 1958 - Minstrel 1 and 2 / Osprey 2 and then came the Fulmar/Broadsventure (like Clives)/ Broadlander/Siesta /Clarion (A One-Off)/Broadway and Swiftway classes between then and 1966. A total of 46 cruisers whose frames would have come from that loft.

All the Best...Terry :Stinky

Hi Terry,

Minstrel 1 was finished at Stalham but built in Oulton Broad and possibly Osprey 1 and Merlin 5. (Dad recons Merlins let well as they were the only 9 berth on the Broads)

The writing is not Dads, most likely Rugbys. I could not see every marking up there as there is a load of water pumps, webastos and tellys up there amongst other sh1te cluttering up the space.

Dad has always said Rugby with the help of a boy could build a boat in 12 weeks, including engineering, electrics, morticed/tennoned doors, dovetailed drawers and some varnishing (Voyager 1 keel laid just before christmas mid 50s went out Easter) there were no other employees there to help apart from Dad who did some of the varnishing.

Terry, have you forgotten the Elysians which were built before the Ocean 30s?

Doh!!!!! two guns

What a mistaker to maker....Sorry :oops::oops:...Yes Clive, you are so right...I mean't to say Minstrel's 2 and 3

Minstrel 1 (S25) - Osprey 1 (S24) and Merlin 5 (S23) were all finished at Stalham although built in Oulton.

Yes, I remember your Dad telling me many moons ago that Rugby was the best Boatbuilder he ever knew and when he (Dad) was building up the fleet his workrate was tremendous and know doubt was a key factor in the 58 move to Stalham...Getting the yard operational ect

Ref the Elysians, I never really counted them as they were already in the fleet before "Wooden" Boat production finished. :cry

cheers Barry,

I do have a set of drawings which were sent to me from Canada last year by Ken Harrison who designed 3 classes of dads boats so they could be re drawn. (Carol also was sent copies which are on her Broadland Memories site)

I will try and get time to uncover the rest of the lofted frames but there is a slight issue...................

post-503-136713483526_thumb.jpg

cheers John,

you are right, people know we have stuff and we are often glad we kept it ourselves, we sent some BMC 2.5 pushrods to Australia in December, bloke reconed he had tried everywhere. I am putting a 2.5 IN my boat :o

here are some more photos of a shed full.

This shed is called the 'Dinghey Hangar' there used to be a slip the other end but we pulled it up years ago when we ran Broads holidays from there.

I had cleared the shed out in the summer, it was full of a childrens soft play area, the interior of a pub we cleared and contents of a bakery :?

no sooner had it been cleared it was filled with dingheys which were stored in the Wet Shed which needed to emptied for work.

The boat is Hornings Ex tow boat which I cant let go and 'Bobbys Diner' burger van gets rented out in Hemsby for the summer. The engines in front of the Tow boat are being stored for the Museeum of the Broads.

post-503-136713483872_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713484176_thumb.jpg

Rummage is one word, but the stuff has not been there long enough to give me any suprises (6 months)

I have another shed full of arcade machines and carpet which is next to be cleared then all the stuff from the Dinghey hangar can go in there (bit of a roundabout)

the boat had been sold once but we took it back when we got told the engine did not run (2.2 not installed at the time!) got told to burn it but me being me put her in the shed, I gave up trying to find a good home to give her to and have decided to keep her as I allways liked her and she does have lovely lines. at one time she had a set of screens fitted which I bust one side off on a Tobago weeks after they had been made :oops: also one time I went to Cockshoot broad on a breakdown and the steering cable fell off, I reversed her all the way back with no steering 8-)

she also gave a great rooster tail!

Hi Rod,

the van is the GRP van from before the white Mondeo estate which has also now expired! we have been taking bits off it but now yeilds no more useful parts.

Robin is still with us on 3 days.

As you say, the Dinghey Hangar is the grey blister hanagar as you go up to the point, next to the gas compound and battery shed.

this picture is of the fiberglass repair shop in the corner of the 'Ponderosa' we have other stores full of moulds for them to use, we dont throw much away!

post-503-136713484214_thumb.jpg