Holiday aboard Fair Executive

Day One

So we are back after a long winter! This time we are on Fair Executive after watching Kevin and Heidi on Fair Jubilee too many times on YouTube! We had booked the boat from the day before but couldn't get here because of work so we arrived on Wednesday at about 9am after a very early start from London.

Faircraft were excellent, the handover was efficient and professional and they give you towels now which makes a big difference for those coming by train.

The boat is really something else. There is so much living space, in terms of comfort it has no compromises. Plenty of storage and a really comfy walk around bed. I've never been on a boat with a bath before let alone a jacuzzi one!

The biggest compromise with this boat is the size, it really is huge and you get the benefits of that internally. It does mean we will need to be extra organised with the tides although Mr Bisciuteer is a boat geek so we will not have any problems there.

So handover sorted by 10am. We had decided to spend the day and night in Wroxham. We stocked up at Roys and (I write this in every holiday diary) it was such a pleasant shopping experience, it is a lovely shop, the exact opposite to supermarkets in London.

We then spent the day on the boat, it was cold but the sun was out.

In the evening we headed to the newly refurbished Kings Head. It is certainly smarter than it was previously, new furnishings etc, but it hasn't changed that much. This is good though as we liked it before! After a few drinks we headed to the Star. There were a few tables in which was good to see. The food and service was excellent as always.

The boat was conveniently located outside the Shed. We had been meaning to find this place for a couple of years and Faircraft gave us a helping hand. After our meal we headed there for a night cap. What a lovely pub, so different but welcoming as well. We will definitely be back there soon.

Bisciuteer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Hi

Great first day, it does look like a lovely boat from Kevin and Heidi's video, just a shame about the height. So glad that we are finally getting something from the broads this year, this winter seems the longest ever, and when March finally arrived still nothing from the rivers. Have fun, and I will keep checking for a new post.

• Like 2

Thursday

We woke up to heavy rain in Wroxham and it was cold. Thank heavens for heating!! We had forgotten to bring umbrellas so Mr Biscuiteer was sent out to Roys in the rain to get fresh produce and to purchase umbrellas!

After breakfast we headed on our way, destination Ludham Bridge. We weren't planning on heading up the Ant any further than Ludham Bridge so we weren't too fussed about getting under the bridge. We couldn't get through so moored this side of the bridge.

The wind had really picked up by now and it was pushing us away from the bank. If the moorings had been on the other bank it would have been ideal! I'm useless at getting on and off the boat - I was not blessed with any balance at all! But somehow I managed to get off this very high boat against the wind. Drama over, we were set for the night and near to one of our favourite pubs. Happy days.

After a relaxing afternoon on the boat and an afternoon nap on my part, we headed to The Dog. It was great, as always. A warm welcome, proper home cooked food, fire on and a few drinks. Heaven. Another great day.

Norfolk Broads Direct offered to help us get through Ludham Bridge if we wanted to go that way, we are heading to the Southern Broads in a day or so, so we didn't take them up on the offer, but outstanding customer service.

Biscuiteer

• Like 7

Thank you Mrs McVittie :naughty: - sorry I held off that reply for 24 hours, coudn't resist! - Nice to know you are well underway, and no chance of rain. Well you bought umbrellas did you not? :naughty:  Never rains after purchasing them on holiday. :)

Good to read the offer of NBD for anyone not feeling brave enough to go through Ludham bridge, it can get in high season, very busy there, with crosswinds more so! 

Have a nice trip south and look forward to your next Biscuiteer update. :wave

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Iain, you've just hit the nail on the head, you win an award for best post of the week. You are right about buying umbrellas. I'm going to buy some the day before I journey to Norfolk next month, or should I buy them at Roy's on the way to Stalham? Love the holiday so far Mrs Gypsy Cream, keep it coming, and have fun on the way South. 

Simon :summertime:

• Like 2

Iain, you've just hit the nail on the head, you win an award for best post of the week. You are right about buying umbrellas. I'm going to buy some the day before I journey to Norfolk next month, or should I buy them at Roy's on the way to Stalham? Love the holiday so far Mrs Gypsy Cream, keep it coming, and have fun on the way South. 

Simon :summertime:

Thank you Simon, very kind of you, I will graciously turn the offer of the award down though, JUST incase it rains! :naughty:  

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Thanks for the latest installment Biscuiteer, I think Iain is right about it staying dry now that you've bought the brollies....... Usually works that way for me but in my case its when I buy sun screen ☔️

Simon I think you should wait to buy them in Roy's then theres no confusion about them being "holiday brollies"

Looking forward to the next instalment

cheersbar

David

• Like 3

Friday

It was a cold but lovely day in Ludham Bridge. No sign of any rain but the wind was still strong. After breakfast we set on our way, destination Acle.

It was a great cruise, hardly any boats about. I've attached a picture taken from my iphone so not great quality but if you look closely by the river bank you can see an otter that came to say hello.

As we arrived at Acle we moored a little more easily as the wind was kindly in our favour. We had booked a table at the newly reopened Embrujo. We had tried the Stracey Arms last year and liked the food.

First impressions of the new location were really good. There was a fire on which makes for a warm welcome, lovely Spanish lager on draft and a general buzz about the place, something which we thought was lacking in the Stracey Arms as it was just too big.

I will post in the restaurants section when I get the chance but for now, my biggest advice would be to book. We saw 4 groups turned away on the night because it was fully booked. Great to see the place doing so well.

We had great food and service, and a great night in general.

Biscuiteer

• Like 6

Saturday

Well after 3 fantastic nights out we needed to slow things down a little! We were getting a taste for the Embrujo's lager and free Spanish liqueurs the night before but we (just) managed to drag ourselves away at a reasonable hour as we had an early start the next day.

We departed early from Acle, destination Reedham. We needed to hit low tide at Great Yarmouth, we had plenty of room under the bridge and Breydon Water was really calm. Calm definitely before the storm as we found out later that it was shut for most of the next day!

I enjoyed the helping hand to moor up at Reedham as the wind was picking up. We were all settled for the day by midday.

Reedham update - Lord Nelson is still shut, the Ship was very much open as was the chippy. Unfortunately the little shop by the chippy has closed down.

We had a quiet day, the rain and wind were picking up and it was good to settle down with a book for a few hours after a busy start to the holiday.

We had fish and chips and it was excellent. So we settled in for the night, heating on, jacuzzi bath for me and an early night. Surely too comfortable?! Thankfully the wind reminded us we were actually on a boat as it was very choppy overnight which we really like.

• Like 5

Sunday

After a good night's sleep we woke up refreshed. I was treated to breakfast in bed, a cup of tea and weetabix but it is the thought that counts! After breakfast we had breakfast and relaxed for the morning. We were getting in to the holiday spirit and were almost too relaxed.

It is wild at Reedham and we like that. The weather was pretty unpleasant, very stormy. We put the heating on, baked potatoes in the oven. Wintery heaven.

After lunch we set off hesitantly in strong winds. Destination Loddon. We absolutely love cruising along the Chet, so scenic. See picture attached.

At Loddon we headed for a few drinks in the swan, it is a really lovely pub. We then headed to the raj which was excellent as ever. A good night.

• Like 6

We had planned two nights in Loddon but Oulton Broad was calling!! After a quiet morning and a stock up from Coop we headed on our way.

We arrived at the Somerleyton Swing Bridge and it was shut to river traffic and we couldn't get under, having arrived just after low tide we weren't getting under. One red flag was shown which says the bridge is in operation today. We called the telephone number several times and beeped our horn for about 30 mins whilst the skipper showed off his ability to drive in circles. We phoned Reedham for advice who said there was somebody there. By some miracle the bridge then opened! Oulton Broad panic over.

So over to Oulton Broad. It takes my breath away every time, simply stunning. We moored up and headed almost straight out. We headed for a few drinks in the Waveney and then on to Tides. I had a steak and my other half had a mixed grill. It was really good quality and really well cooked. Cannot recommend it enough.

A really good night. It went downhill from this point on!! It was a bit windy going to bed but nothing too bad. All hell had broken loose by 2am!! How we didn't capsize or end up with the back end of the boat stuck on land is beyond me. I really hope nobody was mud weighting in Oulton Broad that night.

So the skipper spent the night getting up every hour checking the ropes etc whilst I regretted that last glass of wine!

• Like 3

To be honest we always moor on the inside floating pontoons at the yacht station it is the only way to get some sleep, the outside pontoons are great for watching the Powerboat Racing but the continual slapping of the waves on the hull does nothing in regards to a nights sleep.

Regards

Alan

Tuesday

We survived! The downside to getting no sleep at all is that once the wind calmed down a bit, I went straight back to sleep and didn't surface until Midday!

Once I'd woken up a bit we went for a walk around Oulton Broad. We both had serious sea legs at this point so the locals probably thought we were (still) drunk. We had lunch in the Waveney which was pleasant and then walked around a bit more until the wind got the better of us, back to the boat for the afternoon.

With the extreme wind we couldn't leave or even swap to a mooring with shore power so we were on heating rations!

After a quiet afternoon we had a takeaway from Magic Wok. We had one a couple of years ago and we weren't impressed but the reviews on tripadviser were excellent so we gave it another go. It was excellent, really tasty and good quality. Glad we tried again!

And so to attempt to a decent night's sleep!

• Like 4