Trailer sailer, the project commences.

Paul

I was lucky enough to acquire an 18ft trailer sailer last summer. She has seen better days but is sound and water proof. I know this because she is currently three parts full of the stuff. So the first order of business is to get inside her with a pump and dry her out. No problem there, I have a decent pump. Once that is done there are lots of jobs to get done

The second order of business will be to get her off her knackered trailer so that we can get that sorted and be able to move her when needed. At present she is marooned in our back garden. And that is where we start to need your help. How to get her off the trailer in the garden? I have one or two ideas but any suggestions, or warnings for that matter welcome.

• Like 2

I've shifted heavy boats on and off trailers several times with jacks and blocks, so I went looking on google to see if there were any nice diagrams anyone might have made of the process.

It came up trumps straight away with a really good web page explaining how to do it, with pics....  :)

https://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/dealers/06_tips_tricks/Pro-boat-raise.html

Good luck paul, as my project draws to an end the forum certainly needs another. Although you have to provide regular pictures otherwise the members get very restless (and it helps keep you going!)..

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading :)cheers!

• Like 1

well go on then, just a little one to start with. This was taken the morning after we finally got her home. Sadly, on the way home from Norfolk the trailer hit problems, a wheel bearing cracked and we were forced to park her in a layby whilst I sought assistance. During the hour or so she was left somebody decided to steal her and a patient wait began until, last November we finally found her on ebay, as we knew she would be eventually. As the boom, sails, tiller and rudder were all in the car she was very incomplete. Eventually she made it home on the back of a beaver tail.

post-30506-0-69278300-1427384973_thumb.j

• Like 4

Thanks for the link Strowager, that seems somwhat more controlled, and therefore far safer than most of the suggestions I've seen from such mines of information such as you tube, some of which are extremely "hillbilly". I have an inspection tower and wondered about using that as a kind of a frame to lift her but capacities are tight so this looks a much better bet.

We had reported the theft, even though the boat was uninsured and we had paid a token fee for her and so the good folks at Cambridge Constabulary oversaw the repatriation when we notified them of her location. They were reasonably happy that the person in posession was not the miscreant who removed her but had bought her with the idea of restoring her without realising the amount of work involved. There is a lot to be done.

She is virtually stripped bare inside, and anything which is still inside her is past saving so will come out. She has no electrical system, engine, freshwater system. The control ropes and sheets are shot, the stays are in pretty poor condition and the woodwork which holds the sail is rotten. The companion way hatch is past it and she is missing the rubbing strip which serves to seal hull and superstructure.

The plan is to give her a damn good clean, scrape her bottom and antifoul, repaint the hull. We hope to get away top sides just with cleaning. An outboard will be acquired, I'm thinking a four stroke 4hp will suffice but again, any advice gratefully received. A fuel tank suitable for the outboard and that will be that. We'll remove her rigging and use her as a day boat initially. We have foam to remake internal cushions, a portable stove and water carrier will add the facility to make hot drinks, heat soup etc. I doubt I will be spending many nights aboard, she is very tight inside and for someone who is mildy claustrophobic it feels a bit too enclosed. We might consider a canopy for the rear so that we can sleep "outside" perhaps in the summer.

A couple of fire extinguishers and a BSSC and she should be fit for a few days out.

The trailer needs new hubs, we could go for new suspension units but the liklihood is we will butcher a caravan chassis and fit her with a new braked axle and drawbar. I am concerned about her weight on an unbraked trailer.

Originally the plan was to have her in the water for June and that other places Ranworth meet, but having withdrawn from that place we will probably look for an August launch. I am quite keen to explore the Well Creek through Outwell and beyond, having driven alongside it many, many times on our way to Norfolk.

• Like 2

........The trailer needs new hubs, we could go for new suspension units but the liklihood is we will butcher a caravan chassis and fit her with a new braked axle and drawbar. I am concerned about her weight on an unbraked trailer......

I'm usually keen on adaptation and make and mend myself, but it may be worth keeping on eye on eBay and Gumtree for a used boat trailer.

They regularly go very cheaply, and you might then get the whole thing ready to roll for a couple of hundred quid or so, (the same as buying replacement parts).

You're absolutely right about watching the unbraked weight limit.

Even the smallest of cabin craft are right on the 750kg unbraked weight limit, (because it includes the trailer's weight as well).

http://www.parkers.co.uk/company-cars/news-and-advice/advice/2013/april/Towing/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Boats-Parts-Accessories-/169485/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_nkw=trailer&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=boat+trailer&search_category=all&search_location=Norfolk&distance=250