cruiser

Guest sirdar

Well Barry...I'll say that this craft is testing the old grey matter a bit :? ...The only class that springs to mind are the 3 "Midnight Sun" boats that ran out of Acle Bridge from the Sun Boats yard. The first of the class being built as far as my information goes in 1953, the other 2 shortly after.

The one thing that might throw a spanner in the works is that it does resemble a Fletcher from a distance but the sheer on this one, would I feel indicate not...So I'll go with "MIDNIGHT SUN" - SUN BOATS - ACLE BRIDGE

Regards...Terry :Stinky

Ah hello there Terry

After you proved your superior Broads knowledge with Smiths Sable I figured I would throw you a very very curved ball!!

Apologies. So thats really two hot dogs I owe you now. You know your stuff

She is a Banham but Belle from Cambridge yard!!!!!

Hi Springsong.

Very Fishy that. Its not confirmed but I think Banhams Roach class may have been based on Belle, but with different windows. There is a totally original "Roach" on the Cambs Great Ouse that was up for sale two years ago. She was even still fully varnished!!

Hi all.

This Banham Skull is one of a few that have found there way to the US where they were rated as a highly competitive craft. This one was auctioned in New York last year as a " highly desirable racing veteran built by one of Englands premier boatbuilders".

Not bad for an East Anglian yard eh!

Regards Sirdar

"And Vetchugger have to agree the Collins boats were a good match of materials . Had a great holiday on Shining Emblem 2 in 1973.... And as if by magic......."

Hi Vetchugger and Sirdar

I think the picture of the Ernest Collins boat is actually Bosun, which was in the Brooms hire fleet for years and was then sold, is currently on the Thames.

Beautiful boat which I had the great pleasure of hiring in the 1970s and is being lovingly cared for by the current owner.

Regards

Geoff Pethick

Hi Geoff

Your observation of the picture re: Ernest Collins 30ft - Shining Emblem. I think that you have hit the nail on the head with your recollection's of Bosun from Broom's.

After another look at said pic the boat in question: Does not have the distictive Earnest Collins Apron Shield on the bow and the Hand Rails (if original) are as fitted to Bosun. Unlike the the ones as fitted by Collins with the chrome ring holders that we used at Richardsons at that time.

Hi Sirdar...Does this sound feasable to you??

Best Regards...Terry :Stinky

Hi jhb goeff and terry

DOH as Homer Simpson would say. Forgot all about Collins " Bow Badge". Big mistake . In my defence I would say that I only came across Shining Emblem once, during a holiday in 72/3 when I hired her. she was a beauty. I read somewhere that one or both of the these craft had been rebuilt at some point. Which would explain why very few pics about of them apart from the grainy Blakes/ Hoseasons shots, and my holiday shots were taken on an instamatic!! Not known for their sharpnes!!

Regards Sirdar

Im currently going through stacks of old b/w pics of Banhams Sirdar Frivolity and Monarchs class from my Dads old albums. When Ive got them sorted ill start posting them

Regards Sirdar

Hi Broadlander.

Not so much a "googlie" more a wicked bouncer. Thats Topaz as featured earlier, but sporting a rather nasty" death and Glory" paint job. well spoted

cheers Sirdar