cruiser

Guest sirdar

History Of H C Banham Planet Class cruiser Venus

11/10/2006 SW Janus Road hauled from West View Marina Great Ouse Cambridgeshire to Bray Thames

30/6/2000 K Blick West View Marina Great Ouse Cambridgeshire

1989 GS Packham Oulton Broad

1988 Gary Norman Upware Marina Cambridgeshire

1979 Bert Harbone Pitt Club cambridge

1966 Jack Charlton Cambridge

1958 Hermaitage Hire

1932 HC Banham Horning

Venus was by the standard of 1932 a modern bridge deck cruiser built by Banham along similar lines to the Frivolity class. 6 berth three cabin . Operated by Banham Horning after the war she was later passed on to Hermitage Hire and in 1966 was sold with the other five of the class by the then Southgates Yard. Venus going to Jack Charlton as detailed above. Her original Brook Marine 6 Cyl engine was replaced by the current Morris Navigator in the Eighties.

So you can see Venus has " been Around"

Regards Sirdar

Hi Sirdar

Another self confessed Woody fan here ..... it's the old Brooms that do it for me though, especially the Admirals - just beautiful craftmanship! I do love the 1930s hockey stick designs though. Should those lottery numbers come up then there will be a few nice old wooden cruisers and launches in my personal boatyard! :naughty:

I have a confession to make though .... I did rather fall in love with a lovely soft top Broom 29 that was up for sale at Brundall a couple of years ago! :o

Some fabulous photos of Banhams cruisers on here - thank you for posting them and I shall look forward to seeing some of the photos from your fathers old albums.

One thing though .... I am sure that I can't be the only one to have noticed that when you hover over one of the pictures you have posted that the name of the boat pops up in the tool tip! It makes the guessing aspect somewhat easy !! :lol:

The tool tip will display whatever the name is that you've given the image on your PC ...... if you want a "Guess The Boat" then you will have to re-name them before uploading.

Carol

Hi Adnams girl

Hadnt thought of that. See us ol Suffolk boys int that devious!!!!!!!! Ill Have to watch out... or rename all my pics .That would confuse me . Have to rename them all STOP PEEKIN!!

Regards Sirdar

Hi again Adnams Girl.

Did you see the pic of the old Broom I posted earlier in this thread. Very neglected. I hope someone warns the cat that its very damp outside the cat flap on the side though. Cruelty to animals and all that.

cheers Sirdar

Bosun didn't have the bow badge according to my photos, Blakes catalogue picture and present day shots.

Shining Emblem in the Blakes catalogue did have a bow badge.

According to Craig's boat database there were two Shining Emblems. One seems to have disappeared around 1986, the other, Shining Emblem 2 was rebuilt with new upperworks. I had wondered why until I saw the pics on the Broadland Memories website, coincidentally just posted by Carol referring to the wherry Lord Roberts. Just look and wonder at the stupidity of the hirer who was resonsible for this http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/page89.html#sanders_roberts

Regards

Geoff Pethick

Hi all

Still trying to sort out Dads old pics, may take a bit of time.

Came across this in Cambridgeshire County Archieves. Makes me wonder at the total craftsmanship of a traditional wooden boatbuilder like Banham. On one extreme sea going sailies like Bantab and broads cruisers like Monarch and Sirdar. And at the other racing "Eights" like the attached. Cam Uni ladies Eight outside Banhams Cambridge yard in mid fifties.

Regards Sirdar

Hi Sirdar...

I must say that untill you started this thread with your pic of "EMERALD" I knew very little about "BANHAM'S" but always had an idea that they were a very influential BUILDER of their time. Little did I realise how much and how diversified their range and skills covered. Your knowledge of the company has been a great addition to us on this site...

Hope there's more to come

Best Regards...Terry

Hi Terry

Thanks for that. I always found holidays through Banhams interesting. Even on take over days just to look into the sheds and see what they were doing. I still find it amazing to watch skilled craftsmen working on wooden boats . So skilled and clever. It never occured to me that a hire fleet operator on the broads would be involved in racing eights etc. It was only when I started "Digging around" out of idle interest I began to find out the terrific history this yard had. They had an "Upstairs" over their Cambridge yard called the Long room where boats were made for both the Oxford and Cambridge racing crews!! What really set me off though was a friend of my wifes from Suffolk. I called in to pick up one of my sons ( unpaid taxi) and in the hall was a beautiful works clock with HC banham Cambridge written on the face. Fate. Trying to get hold of any pics of the Horning yard I contacted Norfolk County archieve who did a search of their records and called me back. They said no records remained on file about Banhams at all . There was even an employee in their office who had worked in a yard in Horning who didnt even think there had ever been a yard called banhams there! HC opened the Cambridge yard in 1906 according to the records. All that history and now very little remains except for the few surviving craft like Monarch in very caring ownership. Sad really.

Regards Sirdar

New to this forum - have followed many ofthe threads which have been interesting and informative - thanks. Like some others sadly have spent too many years on the Braods for holidays - since 1967 - and finally a few years back fell in love with a fully restored Broom Commander built in 1964. Despite all its practical problems its still a bit of history and a great pleasure to own and enjoy. We try and use her as much as we can despite not living locally and its always surprising to see the interest that an old wooden boat brings about.

If I coukd work out how to attach an image you woud be welcome to see her.

Hi PZ

Underneath the box into which you type a reply to a thread you will see a blue box with tabs entitled "options" and "Upload Attachments" - click on the upload attachments, then click on the browse button to find the image that you want to upload on your computer. Click on that file and then click the "Add the File" button beside the browse button. Wait whilst it uploads it and then submit your post as normal.

Thanks for the helpful pointers - I was looking in the wrong place for the attachments button. This might be better now.

Now I can bore you with PZ moored at South Walsham in the summerpost-1-136713482806_thumb.jpg