cruiser

Guest sirdar

Hi Springsong, Terry and all.

Just so you dont think I am totally obssesded By Banhams only ha ha . Attached are three other Classic Broads craft. A Windboat I tripped over on Burwell Lode ( Great Ouse Cambs) for sale £17k. Geo Smiths Song of Joy looking a bit " worn" near Cambridge. And another Windboat on the Cam. Oh Look theres a Banham astern of her !!!!

Enjoy

Steve ( Sirdar)[attachment=2]song of joy.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]banham Brunette in Cambridge.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]song of joy.jpg[/attachment

Ps sorry bout the two Song of Joy pics. Slip of finger!!

Im Gettin to grips with these new fangled computers. I managed to get rid of the second pic of " Song" after I apologised for it being there.

Pz A vital part of any classic owners tool box? pieces of card to shut in the windows to stop them rattling. I remember waking on Monarch one night when I was about ten wondering what had just dropped on my face in the dark. Turning on light I was thrilled to find about thirty maggots that had escaped from my Dads bait box had discovered the Ill fitting hopper windows and had popped in for a look round!! Lovely

I had a rattley window that I cured. I bought a roll of rubber "U" channel and fitted that to the glass edges. Worked a treat.

Regards Steve (sirdar)

Hi Steve (sirdar)

Great photos as usual. I have actually seen the song of Joy one before but not the other two.

The first windboat is a Merrywind class and the second is a finewind/Fairwind. The Merrywind looks like an early one and the Finewind a later one, she is very similar to Lady Beryl. Sometime in the middle to late fifties the sterns were altered making the transome sides convex as opposed to the concave earlier ones. I will try and demonstrate by picture.

In the colour one you can see all the yachts moored on Banhams front. I am not sure when the picture was taken late fifties early sixties I would guess.Sorry to ramble but Windboats are my real love :love:oops:

PZ Off course I am a little slow Princess Zena. I think we have spoken before at BA's launch party ? A realy stunning boat PZ I remember her in the sixties wasn't she always private ? I used to know Magnolia in the eighties not sure where she is now, also Steve at South River Marine has one. We very nearly bought Bella Mia instead of Star Premiere but fell at the final fence. OK I've gone

post-133-136713483214_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713483516_thumb.jpg

Hi Barry,

not that it makes any difference, but I have allways described them as a 'flaired transom' they were the first wooden boat I recognised and got confused when I realised there were other designs of Windboats, now I just look at the windows.

Hi Barry - some nice images there. I think it would have been one of my sons whom you met at BA's launch. I recall he said he was going up to the northen rivers to try and take in that happy gathering.

Tony (PZ)

Hi Barry. That Song of Joy pic was used on the sales Bumph by her owner. She was up for £2000 odd and was advertised as having been Sheathed in GRP about 10 years ago. Nice. Attached another pic of her still looking worn. Not mine but a nice picture of her. I had never thought about the stern detail to much relating to dating Windboats but your explanation makes perfect sense . Hired Fairwind/Finewind when she was at Woods in about 67/68 I think. Beautiful lines.

cheers Steve

Thanks Steve for the suggestions on keeping my windows from rattling - be assured we have a varying supply of things to try and keep it under control - however PZ still has her original engine (I suspect out of a tank) which is not only huge but causes quite a lot of the vibration. All part of the excitement of an old wooden boat.

Tony (PZ)

Hi PZ Its called character. I actually like the throb of a big old diesel on tick over. Its just annoying when it shakes the crockery of the shelves!!

Regards Steve

Hi all,

what a fabulous thread this is turning into!! Excellent pics, particularly like PZ Broom Captain, very beautiful cruiser.

Going back to Banhams and being a saily at heart I can give a bit of info on one or two of their yachts. Wicked Lady, which I believe was one of the Moon class, ended up moving to France a few years ago, a Speedwell, 30' yacht is waiting patiently for an enthusiastic owner over at St Olaves. Fortunately the yard were she lies have a good knowledge of how to set up a boat properly and she is well covered. Silver Moon and Golden Moon, 24 footers, both survive, one on the Southern broads and one on the Northern, and both are beautifully varnished. One of the Harlequins, was for sale at Brundall a couple of years ago, and lastly Elusive, another 30 footer, is in good condition and kept at Cox's yard at Barton. Will try and dig out some pics.

Just remembered there was a small raised topsides Banhams cruiser, around 22 foot for sale about a year ago in the Cambridge area.

Keep up the good work everybody

cheersbar

Mat

Hi Mat

I dont know how they achieved it but Banhams boats when in the fleet had a beautiful varnish finish. Almost honey coloured. When I kept my boat on the Great Ouse there was a breath taking Sirdar class called Balthazar there. Its owner had taken the hull back to the wood and got the original honey colour back. Totally stuning. Very interesting what you say about the Banham " Sailies" There seem to be a few still around then. If you can dig out any pics you have that would be nice to see.

Regards Steve

Hi Sirdar...May I call you Steve

Did you realise what you were starting with your pic of "Emerald"??...Just look at the interest this thread has created :o:o

115 posts and counting...."GREAT"...and the history/info - unbelievable cheersbar

PZ...Yet another super Boat to drool over :love:love ...It is through people such as yourselves, that, IMHO gives the Broads that Golden Era feel that I first felt back in the 60's. Without Boats such as yours and many others who are prepared to plough endless sums into maintaining them, by now everything would be too modern for my liking....don't really want to say Plastic :norty: ...although I appreciate there are some beauties out there that I do like e.g Aquafibre 38 and 42 centre cockpit's...Great Craft in their own right...

But...when the likes of PZ, are about you would think that you were back in the 60's - Wonderful

P.S. Are you a member of the VWBA??

Best Regards...Terry

Hi Tony (PZ) What is the origonal engine you have in Princess Zena, we have a huge lump in Star Premiere a Parsons Pike also origonal, it's a marinised Ford D series. Thinsulate make a sound proofing material which is suposedly very good. As for the rattling windows we used that foam draught excluder seemed to work.

Hi Terry

of course you can call me steve. As a new member I was a bit worried about " Dipping my toe in the water" and didnt really know what interest the Emerald pic would create. Im glad that it has generated the response it has and I hope it keeps going for as long as poss. There are some quality shots of boats like Monarch PZ etc being posted. there is also some good historic info being posted like Mats details on the salies by banham. I think its great and im pleased that peoples memories and interests are being put on record as we are talking broads history here, both in terms of the individual boats but also the yards. Talking of which have got any info or pics on your beauty available? Richardsons had a fantastic fleet of "woodies" as illustrated by pics already on this site.

Regards Steve

Hi Clive. Thanks for the tip. Thats a really great selection of photos. There' s a good cross section of your "Woody" craft represented there.

I read the bit about your shed T2 being erected by using the old wherry. That must have been a project and a half. I can imagine me doing that and mis calculating the size of the hole!! That would be a real DIY SoS!!

cheers Steve

Hi Steve...I think that you may by now have the answer you're looking for. Having worked at Richardson's on a full time and casual basis over a countless number of yrs there really didn't seem to be the need for one of my own...although I would have loved one and have a letter here somewhere at home from Mr Richardson regarding a purchase of one of the final 3 42ft's (As Clive now has back in his ownership).That would have been in 1985.

However, due to the fact that Richardson's have always looked after us so well and they had a yard full it made more sence to have one of theirs as and when required. And we still do I'm pleased to say....

So.. I'm ever so sorry but....I haven't got one of own.. :cry

Now where are those lottery numbers????

All the Best...Terry :Stinky

Thanks for all the nice comments about PZ - she's no better no worse than many other lovingly kept old wooden boats. We first hired a Broom Lieutenant back in 1967 and when we came across PZ by fluke almost 6 years ago it was like going back in time all over again - couldn't be passed up. The engine is indeed I think a Ford - my son is the nuts and bolts expert he would be able to quote chapter and verse on that ! We have enormous pleasure out of PZ and hope others get fun out of seeing boats like her still about. If any one comes across us out and about do stop and chat.

We dont belong to the Vinatge Owners Club - sadly as a Broom - its the Broom Owners Club we joined.

Tony (PZ)

Hi Terry.

Shrewd move.Thats the benefit of having friends in high places. All tha pleasure none of the heartache and expense. I havent got a boat at the moment either. I still remember the sickening noise and screams from my wallett when the perkins on my old Senior decided enough was enough!!

cheers Steve

Hi Tony

PZ certainly is a beautiful boat ... we have seen it out and about on the Southern Broads a few times. In fact I think I have a couple of pictures I took when we were moored at Surlingham Ferry a couple of years ago as you passed .... see woody boat, take picture of woody boat! :lol:

Carol