Easter on Bright Horizon

We're away on Bright Horizon 2 for my first of two planned Broads trips this year. Hope you enjoy my tale:

Saturday 4 April

Left my home in Cardiff at 6am and picked up my daughter Natalia. Natalia is 15 now and having had her first of many Broads trips as a baby still loves it almost as much as me. The long journey wasn't too bad (loving that new road at Elveden). After picking up some shopping we arrived at Acle around 1-30. As I walked in the office I heard the words 'Bright 1' mentioned and so I introduced myself as 'Simon Jarvis, Bright 1'. "Actually Mr Jarvis, we've put you on Bright 2. Number 1 was returned late this morning so we switched you over". Any other time this change would have been insignificant. However I felt disappointed, as I hired Bright 1 two years ago with my Dad and it had been a very happy trip before he passed away shortly after. Darn it. Still, Bright 2 was ready to go so off we went to unpack our things. There was a very quick 'you know where everything is, sign here' type handover and we were away. We headed south, slack water at GY being well timed for us. We had plenty of time to finish unpacking at Stracey, whereupon goats and donkeys trotting rapidly along the quay towards us provided comedy entertainment. It was then a straight forward peaceful run with the tide down to GY, through (many more boats moored there then I expected and across Breydon. I misjudged the timing slightly, hence we were against the tide on Breydon but no matter we were safely moored for the night at Berney around 6pm. I assisted some first timers on Brinks Jazz to moor - they were struggling to climb ashore as the water was so low. The pub looks very sorry for itself - sad as I've spent happy times sat outside on those beautifully positioned benches.

• Like 10

Sunday 5th April

Woke up early as I always do on the first full day, too excited. After some breakfast we took a short stroll back towards Breydon before setting off for Reedham. Although there were next to no boats around, Reedham Quay being one of the South Broads honeypots there was only one space available. As luck would have it, there were two posh private boats either side. I turned against the tide and came in to the mooring OK, keeping the revs up just enough to resist the sideways tidal pull in to the moored boat with the owner looking on. We had a relaxing coffee stop and short walk. We decided to head for Rockland Staithe for lunch. Hmm, nothing for it but to get the scenic delights of Cantley out of the way. We arrived at the always peaceful Rockland. The New Inn is open I'm pleased to report although we didn't go in there on this occasion. We headed for Surlingham next for a mudweight stop whereupon 4 boats were already there - the cheek!

• Like 11

Sunday 5th April continued

Surlingham was glorious as always, almost silent as I read my book in the open air. We decided on Bramerton for the night, only to be diddled for the second year running by it being completely full, no thanks to some selfish boats not pulling up to maximise space. The Commissioners Cut at Thorpe proved a good second choice. I'm writing this at The Rushcutters after a really good meal. I have the coeliac condition meaning I need a gluten-free diet and they were great - gluten-free Yorkshire pudding is a rare find!

• Like 10

I forgot to say at Reedham I met Robin, aka London Rascal and friend, for the first time. He's out on Belmore and had squeezed under Vauxhall Bridge at low water early this morning with 3 inches to spare. Great to meet you Robin, looking forward to your latest blog.

• Like 5

Well beings as we are in your Rockland picture sorry we did not say hello! I had my in-laws up for the day so had my hands full!

I think you left whilst we walked up to the bird hide. We had tea on Surlingham before spending the night at Brooms. Beccles bound today.

• Like 1

Hi Dan. I think the weather is colder than elsewhere in the country but we're very grateful it's dry. It's lovely and bright as I write this.

Monday 6th April

The Commissioners cut has mooring posts down both sides which is a bit daft as it's nowhere near wide enough for two lines of boats. We were moored furthest away from the main river with another boat on our side and one further up opposite hence a threading through a needle reversing manoeuvre was called for. Perversely I hoped that the other boats didn't decide to leave before us as I actually really enjoy a reversing challenge. The Horizon 35 is lovely to handle (on account of cable drive and cable steering so I've been told). So, away with the stern rope, pull the bows in gently, take the throttle and in to gentle reverse. Use combination of gentle forward throttle and hard rudder to alter course around the boat behind us and then through the tight gap. Simples! A big grin on my face after that and I was complimented by a privateer for my efforts, although I do say so myself.

On to Norwich we chugged. It's 2 and a half years since we were last there and there are more new flats by the Wensum each time and development still going on. I can remember last time there was a full view of the football ground but no longer. We paused in Norwich for a while then it was back downstream for a stop at Bramerton. The weather was disappointingly grey and cold. We toyed with the idea of Hardley Cross for the night having never stopped there before and leave Loddon until tomorrow. However having stopped at Hardley we decided it was somewhat bleak given the weather conditions hence we pootled on to Pyes Mill, Loddon. I love the walk by the river up to the staithe and this evening was no exception. There seem to be many more hire craft empty than booked if Sandersons, Maffett and Pacific Cruisers are anything to go by.

• Like 6

Hi think I've just spotted you leaving Oulton Broad Yacht Station on the webcam :wave

I better be careful or I'll be getting a reputation like Grace for keeping tabs on everyone lol

Looks quite busy at the Wherry moorings

David

Yes David you will indeed! :naughty:  :norty:  Where's the noseyparker emot then!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi David yes that would have been us on the Oulton webcam yesterday. We happened to moor right in the middle of the view as well.

Hi Robin. Yes we certainly enjoyed ourselves. We came back north today hence waving to you again. Good luck at Ludham.

Full blog to follow.

• Like 2

Tuesday 7th April

Today was our last day south. We wanted to be at Burgh Castle for the night to make slack water 8am Wednesday. There were two options, mess about and don't go far (I'm not usually a fan of that one) or enjoy the sunshine and motor to Oulton Broad before returning to Burgh. We both decided on the Oulton option which was about 3 hours cruising. I'm not a bird expert but we've enjoyed spotting them this time and on the waveney we picked out what looked like a small eagle. Just before Somerleyton bridge was the stricken Alpha Craft boat discussed elsewhere. I'm guessing a crane will be required to remove it. Oulton was gorgeous as ever in the sunshine and we took a mooring at the Yacht Station. At night time we've been shivering in bed but here we were at lunch time and we could have put tee shirts on. We enjoyed an ice cream and a walk through Nicholas Everitt park before setting off again. The chug to Burgh was straight forward with the tide.

Once settled at Burgh I decided we should pull back a couple of posts to maximise the gap in front for any more boats. I wish we'd stayed where we were as in our new position we could pull the stern only to within about 5 feet of the quay. The water was very low and there was evidently a lump of mud between us and the quayside.

We walked to The Fishermans intending to eat there but disappointingly it was closed. According to the notice outside it had been open all over the Easter weekend and Tuesday was the only night it was closed this week. Is it me or is there normally a slight tendency for pubs to open every day?

• Like 6

Wednesday 8th April

We were ready for cast off at 7-30am to catch slack water. At Burgh there's a big step up to the quayside when it's low water and this morning we couldn't pull ourselves near enough to the quay (at either stern or bows) to get off the boat. I just managed to reach the stern post from the boat and untie us then I used son gentle forward throttle to get us near enough to the bow post to unto that. Then it was a case of rudder hard round, burst of forward to kick out the stern then reverse hard and hope for the best. I'm relieved to say that all worked fine and we were on our way. Breydon was flat calm and it was an easy run all the way back to Acle. We took a break at the boatyard and seized the opportunity to request an extra duvet each!

I chatted with one of the yard staff as we know each other by sight from my previous visits. He'd just brought back a boat from Potter Heigham, it having been stuck above Potter bridge for several days. The delightful crew had taken the boat through without a pilot, damaging the boat in the process and getting it stuck above the bridge with clearance reducing rapidly due to changing conditions.

We pootled on and stopped again at St Benets. This is always a busy location for boat spotting and there's a great view from the mound that has the ruins beyond where the main bit is. We opted to head for Wroxham tonight, leaving out the Broads in the way to make sure we caught the bridge pilot before his finishing time. As I write this we're on the viaduct moorings. Lets hope there's a pub open tonight!

• Like 7