Pre-Easter with Mercury Emblem

Reading the 'Bright Horizon' tales has prompted me to relay our four night break before Easter...

Monday 30th March

I had called Ferry Marina over the weekend and asked if we could pick Mercury up a little early as I could see we were the first hire of the season, as I expected they said yes! So, we arrived in Wroxham just before 11 and did our usual  shop in Roys before heading on to Horning. Wow! the road down to Ferry Marina has seen better days! It was great to see the 'Team Ferry' people again, friendly as ever! Mercury was ready for us so we loaded our kit onboard and had a poke about. I chose the bow cabin, 13 yr old son the stern and 15 yr old daughter chose the 'lounge'. As we had not taken Mercury before I did  ask Ian to show me round, which he duly did, I didnt take a 'test drive' so signed the paper work and we were ready for the off....

Now I was aware that some strong winds were forecast for the next few days so asked Ian for some tips..... his main one was 'find somewhere sheltered and stay put!' I now understand why he said that  :shocked  Our plan was to head for Ranworth, two reasons... we have never managed to moor overnight there and I thought if I could get down the side of the staithe we may be sheltered a little from the forecast wind... So we headed off on the short cruise to Ranworth, all three on the flybridge (with plenty of layers as it was a bit chilly) but enjoying being back on the Broads. Mercury handled very well (we are used to Golden which is a bit shorter) I was also surprised to see that Mercury was was not as high as Golden or Radiant or Ivory! For this trip it wouldn't matter but worth remembering for the summer when we head south. My son also had a turn at the helm and also remarked how nice the boat was to drive. As we entered Ranworth I could see that there was plenty of space on the front and down the side, so I stuck to my plan, briefed the crew on my intention and slowly headed down the staithe to moor. Have to admit I was a bit apprehensive as my first mooring with a 44ft boat in a pretty tight space... anyway the 'slowly but surely' approach worked and the kids stepped off the stern, rope each and proceeded to tie us up. After checking their knots a Management decision was taken and off we went to the Maltsers for a celebratory pint of Wherry!

The rest of the afternoon we just enjoyed the sunshine and wombled about exploring the boat and our surroundings.... By around 6PM the Staithe was full, we had another Ferry boat to Starboard and two wooden Yachts to Port (part of a school party with 3 HW cruisers further up the Staithe)... Enjoyed watching the school party making the yachts 'ship shape' and erecting to canvas bits to make the living space bigger. We then walked over to the pub for dinner. Great pub food... we would not hesitate to return! (we did actually sooner than anticipated!)

Back to the boat, bit of TV, heater on for an hour or so, then bed..... Why is it that the wind picks up just as you go to bed? To be fair my 'plan' had worked we were pretty sheltered, the wind was hotting us pretty much bow on and the only disruption we got through the night was the other Ferry boat next to us bumping us... its odd how you get used to the wind whistling through the trees and screaming over the railings or whatever on the boat.... Will post up Day two later...

post-530-0-63406000-1428518148_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Tuesday 31st March

We were all awake pretty early, bit darn chilly so crawled out of bed and popped the heating on.... the boat went from 4 degrees to 12 in about 15 mins, so the heater is very efficient! On with the kettle to start the day the right way. It was lovely and sunny but still blowing like crazy, after a cup of tea or two, quick shower on the boat (immersion heater also works very well) I had a stroll outside. Wow was it blowing! At times I struggled to remain upright in some of the gusts, my thoughts were now to stay put for at least the morning as I really didn't think cruising in this would be much fun!

By now the kids were up, breakfast made and eaten... we all thought the beds were very comfy, my feet didn't stick out the bottom so they are a good size, daughter mentioned that the convertible bed was more comfy than previous boats, so big tick all round on the bed front. We had a chat with some of the adults from the school party and the residents of the other Ferry boat. The school party had already decided to stay put for today and again overnight as it was just too windy for sailing, I said we would wait till lunchtime and then see what happens.

So we spent the morning walking around the area and down to the nature reserve place... That hut was certainly rocking! Lady spilled her tea all over the place at one point, they commented that they had never seen Ranworth broad with so many waves on it and apologised for the lack of wildlife about! We did see some wildlife we were not expecting on the way to the Church  :rolleyes:

Lunch in the Maltsers (back sooner than I thought) and we then decided we would head off (only four night break) so we chose to head for Wroxham, thinking if its that bad we can stop at Horning. I succesfully pulled out of the tight gap where we were moored but as I straightened up to head out on the main broad and off to the river there was an almighty gust which made me appreciate how alert I would need to be for this cruise! (If Im honest I was a bit surprised how far a boat can move sideways!)

So we went out onto the Bure, the left turn from Ranworth made me realise that more throttle would be required than normal today, not for speed but for control! It was lovely and sunny so we were all up top again, just as we made that sharp left hand turn in the Bure it went very black and hailed! Blimey that hurts when it hits your face! Quick helm change to inside and on we went. I discovered that Mercury was also ok to pilot from inside. (I hate steering from inside). As we approached Cockshoot I was on the lookout for any photography shoots occurring but alas........ We decided to go back up top at this stage as the sun was back out... we hardly saw another boat for the entire trip, it seems that many were indeed staying put! There were a couple of cruisers outside the New Inn and even they were moored side on.

I remembered my 'crosswind landing' training from the days of my  PPL and  was then quite happy 'crabbing' up the river to Wroxham! We moored at Wroxham in our usual spot but were side on to the wind which generated much rocking and wind noise.

Carvery was had in the Kings Head, bit of TV, game of Uno and then bed..... Hopefully the wind will ease tomorrow!

post-530-0-37750800-1428565677_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Wednesday 1st April

On with the heater again to take the chill of the boat, kids both still sound asleep, neither of them were bothered by the wind noise last night, I heard it more than the previous night, but still had a reasonable nights kip!

First challenge of the day was getting off the mooring, the wind was not as strong as Tuesday but still blowing at @ 40mph according to the BBC and it was keeping us firmly on the jetty! I again briefed the crew.... Dad is going to try and use the bow thruster to see if that will pull us off first.... if that doesnt work Dad will try reversing out and get the stern in the middle of the river.... as luck would have it the wind dropped and the bow thruster did its thing and we pulled away with no issues.... It was a lovely morning, sunny again but still chilly in the wind... all three of us up top and deciding how great this will be in the summer. As we passed Wroxham Broad the wind reminded me that it was still there, but the rest of the trip to Horning was pleasant and peaceful. As we came into Horning (before the Right turn by the Swan) some of the private boats seem to have lost their covers and a few of the covers had lost the battle with the wind. It again looked odd with cruisers side on at the New Inn, past Ferry Marina and on towards the Thurne. We picked up a hitchiker on route too!

My son took the helm for a while as the wind was much more predictable today.... as we aproached the Thurne the wind picked up again and became very gusty... 'Dad you better take it now'... As we turned into the Thurne we got the full impact of the wind.... I can TOTALLY understand how those on Hurricane ended up where they did! Huge handful of Throttle and by turning hard to port I managed to stop us ending up on the bank... first time I have been anywhere near scared whilst piloting a boat! From Thurne Mouth to the start of Potter Heigham it was 'straight up the middle', well actually it was crab up the middle!

As we started passing the little riverside houses we all noticed how high the water was on the bank... my intention was to moor in HW yard (shelter) but the barrier was down (or is it up) whatever we couldn't enter. There was room on the Staithe, so with the winds help we moored up by an electric post. Daughter was not impressed as she had the stern rope and as she stepped onto the bank she got a soaking from the wind splashing the water over the bank plus the exhaust / water outlet of the boat.... Dad didnt laugh too much honest! Once we were tied up I noticed that the water was so high that the fenders were of no use at all.... so we proceeded to lower them all to protect the hull.

We had arranged with Rupert and Maxine (All Abroad) to take us into Yarmouth which is a kind of ritual the last few years, it was great to see Rupert again and very impressed with the new Motor. I know I am not alone in saying if you need a taxi when on or around the Broads Rupert is your man! Another part of our 'ritual' when in Yarmouth is to have a toasted tea cake and mug of hot chocolate at the Victorian Tea rooms on the sea front. Shock Horror! Place is gone! One very disappointed daughter! We made do and had a pleasant few hours on the seafront enjoying Yarmouth for what it is (always has been like this and I hope always will!) Obilgatory Ice creams purchased and photo taken (again we have done this since the kids were in push chairs) and its another 'must do' for us.

Rupert met us as arranged and back to PH and the boat. I had heard that the Broadshaven was open again and under new management so we thought we would try it. I discovered part of it that I didn't know existed (the back bit) as the normal bar was closed for refurbishment. I couldnt help but notice that we were the only ones in there.... "are you doing food tonight" yes was the reply, unfortunately they were not able to take credit cards so we didn't stay as my cash had been utilised in Yarmouth. I do hope that this place finds its feet and fast!

Chippy for tea then! 6/10 score from us all on the chips but apparently the burgers were good!

Back to the boat, wine, cards and tv then bed, fingers crossed for a quieter night.

post-530-0-90799100-1428575967_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thursday 2 April

We woke to yet another sunny morning, the wind was still with us but nothing compared to earlier in the week. Always feel a bit sad when you wake up on the boat for the last day  :cry: . A stroll over to Lathams and hot sausage rolls purchased for breakfast, these always taste good! The new Tea rooms looked nice, but we didnt go in. We also noticed a Richardsons boat moored the wrong side of the bridge. How on earth did it get there and when will it get back.... I have since seen the answer  on another thread.

We had a very leisurely morning and cast off 1030ish destination Womack. The bow thruster again did its job against the decreasing wind, turned round and slowly cruised past the cottages...by the time we reached the end of the cottages for the first time since Monday afternoon the wind had all but gone. There was plenty of space on the Staithe at Ludham so a perfectly executed mooring was performed  . We popped into the little shop and had a great chat with Martin. What a nice guy and so pleased his business is doing so well! Up to the Kings Arms for lunch. Back to the boat and sat in the sun for an hour or so before the final cruise back to Horning.

Cruises like this one remind me why we keep coming back! With my son at the helm I had the chance to take a few pics, glass of wine and generally enjoy Norfolk slipping by. He managed to get round a couple of yachts that had appeared with me not having to 'interfere' and friendly waves from the yacht crews. I spotted what looked like a WW2 MTB in the grounds of one of the big houses which I had not seen before... the boat is white and nestled in reeds / bushes... no idea of its history. As we approached Ferry there was no room, so we moored up outside the Ferry Inn and let 'Team Ferry' know. Son and I wandered off to dream of owning one of the boats for sale in the marina whist daughter stayed on board reading her book in the sun. By the time we cam back Team Ferry had moved some of their boats around and popped Mercury stern on infront of the office.... Daughter was very impressed with Ian's boat handling skills! We wandered into Horning and had tea in the New Inn, food was pretty good and the place was probably the busiest we had seen any pub on this trip. Only a couple of boats moored (now stern on), we all commented how different it is to sit here and see the river and not just boats!

So back to the boat for the last night for this trip, nice and quiet so best set the alarm for the morning......

Overall we were delighted with Mercury Emblem, yes slightly extravagant on my part but hell why not! We are all really looking forward to August on the same boat when we head south to  Oulton Broad. I don't think I could legitimately criticise anything on the boat, everything you need is there and in very good condition (we even found a whisk to make an Angel Delight). The Beds are all a good size and very comfy, I think Ferry Marina made a good choice when they changed their minds and fitted her out with just two cabins. As for Ferry Marina, well I am a definite promoter. I have always had superb service from everybody I have dealt with, and always made to feel that they know me rather than just being a returning punter.

Its a shame we had the wind, but it added a dimension we had not had before and didnt really spoil anything, I do feel sorry for the people that were first timers as it may well have put them off for life! I do love the Broads this time of the year as it is so quiet and feels very different to the summer. We will be back in August! Again!

post-530-0-87165300-1428585557_thumb.jpg

post-530-0-60603200-1428585923_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Steve,

Great write up, and so much information too boot! :clap  It will of course be a different kettle of fish come August, as in busy! :naughty:  The boat you hired looks the biz indeed and two cabins a good idea also.

We will I am sure look forward to your summer holiday cruise reports! Thanks again.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Brilliant write up of your four day break, with lots to say although the weather was a bit rough for you. You can now say you are definitely experienced boat handlers. :Stinky  Half of my garden fencing got damaged during those strong winds, so at the moment they have been repaired and propped up, before having them replaced after our holiday.

• Like 1