Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

Thanks Griff, that looks almost a carbon copy of the one I have. It's basic but puts a good load on the batts. I always give the battery to be tested a good charge and then leave for a couple of days before testing. If it will hold a charge and handle a load I consider it serviceable. Fingers crossed you only have one iffy battery. :default_biggrin:

Colin :default_drink_2:

• Thanks 1

You can get all sorts of fancy testers - I was looking at some for a few hundred pounds that run all types of tests and can test each cell and provide a print out after. Thing is, despite this a lot will not work with deep cycle marine leisure batteries because they are not measured in the same cold cranking amps as urm cranking batteries are. Sometimes an good old fashion big load on a battery is the best way to test its performance.

• Thanks 1

You could use the voltmeter already fitted to your boat connect one battery at a time with stop button engaged press starter for two or three seconds if volts drop more than 9 volts battery is u s.  a leisure battery is designed for producing a low current for a long time with lots of discharging charging cycles. a starter battery a high currant for a short time with no discharging. they are different.John

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

This is how you test batteries..Surely?

stupidity in extremis, I had one explode in the van, pieces of battery and acid were flung in a 10m + radius, I was fortunate, in that I was inside the van and the battery in the engine compartment, it exploded when I turned the starter key, after it had been charging.

23 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

This one which Robin sourced.  Howard tested it at home last nights, seems to be fine and dandy.    We went for this model as it is easier to get into tight spaces with the thing, I have also seen a few boatyards use the same model too.  Hope this helps

Griff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-BT91-Battery-Drop-Tester/dp/B000RA14PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532436194&sr=8-1&keywords=sealey+battery+tester

Hi Griff,

I bought one of those a few years ago and they work very well.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Update - The new starter motor in installed and working a treat.  Spinning over the Beta like a gud-un so she is once again firing up without the aid of the glow plugs as it should in this present climate.  The starter motor is not very big, it is also at present the wrong colour, this will be rectified soonest

Griff

BA NBN 440.JPG

• Haha 1

The six Leisure batteries have been disconnected and each one in turn load tested - They are all fine which is a relief as they were only installed in Apr 16.  This means the gremlin within the system is still there.  Howard crewed up Wednesday evening and is onboard till Sunday so I hope to hear more news on his electrical detective work in due course

Griff

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Update - The new starter motor in installed and working a treat.  Spinning over the Beta like a gud-un so she is once again firing up without the aid of the glow plugs as it should in this present climate.  The starter motor is not very big, it is also at present the wrong colour, this will be rectified soonest

Griff

BA NBN 440.JPG

Yes it should be Nanni Blue! :default_coat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No Griff don't bite, Don't go there, - He's trying to wind you up, don't give in to it. Not a jot

B0ll0x to it - There never has been and never will be to the best of my knowledge owt french onboard 'B.A'  Not when we have our own engineers in Birmingham marinising Kubotas and painting them red

Griff

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

BA NBN 440.JPG

Spraying it might very well null and void it's guarantee so I would not rush the aesthetics.

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

No Griff don't bite, Don't go there, - He's trying to wind you up, don't give in to it. Not a jot

B0ll0x to it - There never has been and never will be to the best of my knowledge owt french onboard 'B.A'  Not when we have our own engineers in Birmingham marinising Kubotas and painting them red

Griff

Bit closer to Gloucester now :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Bugger, I was going to donate a fine bottle of French Brandy to the bonded stores of BA, shall have to drink it myself now :default_rofl:Shall have to sneak one of these on board when no ones looking instead :1103_flag_fr: :default_party0010:

• Haha 2