Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

20 hours ago, grendel said:

surely that would require lowering the yardarms, since the sun would have to be over them.

You are talking Navy rules

I'm talking Griffs rules

RULE I Subsection 1

If the suns visible or not It's drinking time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the Mast MkII,

The design is done.  Pete the Wizard has in my absence has been having a sneaky hour or so on his own in his workshop without me.  He has planed down what will be the centre spine of the mast, realising that the teak planks I had provided were not long enough he has grooved / splined and fastened two bits together making it over length ready for the next round.  I could not see the join at first - Well chuffed.  The design may not come out very well on the photo's as the pencil lines are not that dark / thick but you get the gist,

Griff

NBN 501.JPG

NBN 502.JPG

NBN 503.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, back on topic / track. 

I arrived onboard Thursday 07th evening earlier for a change at 2200-ish along with the Rascal.  Friday morning after a welcome breakfast at Stalham High Street, we commenced, or 'Turn To'

Now where was I? - Oh yes that cant rail. De-nibbed, lint free cloth and more varnish.  Thing is the wet shed is well, wet when it rains, that is to say there are a fair few rainwater leaks that land on 'B.A' is it most annoying.  I have to site cloths to catch the drips to keep areas dry so I can varnish, it's a right Royal pain in the derrière.  The low temperatures at this time of year don't help either but Ravilakk dries faster than most and copes very well with the conditions.

Then it was onto those teak light pads.  I made these with a mate at home months ago now.  It was now time for their final shaping / sanding, small groove out of the back for the cable to sit nicely and was then at last able to put them in place.  Then commenced yet more varnishing.

Rascal and Paul T meanwhile erected a storage locker behind Trixie's berth.  This enabled them to clear out a fair amount of stuff from 'B.A's locker, then they really went for it and sorted out 'B.A's locker entirely.  We now have all our boat jumble stuff ready for Beccles later on in the year and we can actually see space in our locker once more - Wonders never cease

The CCTV cameras got adjusted / re-sited with some Rascal tweaking to the system.  Paul T commenced making some new larger shelves for the quarter berth which I completed Sunday (More varnishing to be done)

The Radio / CD player.  I at last fashioned a new surround for it out of our 'No Name' hardwood and commenced with the varnish on that too.

Saturday afternoon late on after the gale has decreased to a stiff breeze and more importantly the rain stopped we took 'B.A' out for a short run to the Southern end of Barton Broad and back, primarily to test out the two inboard DAB and FM aerials - They were spectacular - that is spectacularly rubbish and did not perform well at all.  This was good news as it stopped us putting back the deckhead lining and respective boxing in in the Stbd Fwd cabin.  After consequent discussions we now know the way ahead. The Rascal is ordering a combined DAB/FM aerial that will be mounted on the outside of 'B.A' this will mean more cable runs above the deck head lining and a 12v booster fitting but we are confident it will be a success - Time will tell.

The shower extract pump has at last had it's service kit fitted and is once again back to its best

Those expensive s/steel mirror finish borders for the hatches were collected and with us.  The hatches have for some time not been sitting perfectly flush with the surrounding deck. Time to put that right.  More 'No Name' hardwood bonded in place with west system fast set resin.  'Fast' ? - Really? It was Monday before it had cured sufficiently.  Then I had to grind out slots in the s/steel to facilitate a snug fit around the cabin sides.  Some soft rubber wx seal applied under the edges of the borders and Da Daaaaahhh , Bobs your Dads Brother and Fanny is your Aunt.  I must admit to being pleased with them.  The well deck hatch cover has now gone off to have a similar border made for it.

Those two 12v demister fan things arrived.  Unfortunately the 'GriffTile' van 12v socket has developed a fault so I could not test them out.  The first time this happens now will be when we actually need them to be used onboard.

So what's to be done / outstanding?      1 x more coat of Ravilakk to led pads and shelves.  Final Brave top coat to cant rail, Pads, shelves, Radio surround. Aerial with associated cables, power booster to be fitted, Stbd Fwd cabin put back together.  Tv booster to be fitted / wired under helm.  new 3 x position switch to be fitted / wired, replace our very old / tired tube strip lamp above our locker with a LED version (Should have done this one years ago)  blah blah blah etc for the next visit early March

I've bound to have forgotten sommat or t'other here but that's good enough for now.  Phot's should sort of follow on /make some sort of sense out of it all - He says optimistically

Griff

BA NBN 508.JPG

BA NBN 509.JPG

BA NBN 510.JPG

• Like 2

I have been champing at the bit so to speak to get into the Wizards workshop and crack on with 'B.A's new mast.  To date it hasn't happened but I can't really ring him and start badgering.

Then earlier this evening at around 2000, I'm on my way back home form doing yet another estimate when the Wizard himself rings me.  Wants to know the diameter of the power cable for the Nav Lights as he has nearly finished 'B.A's mast - WHAT?  I'm supposed to be assisting and more importantly learning but the crafty bugler has cracked on with it without telling me.  I went home, grabbed said elec cable and took it round to him.  As you can see from the photo's there ain't much left to do now. The tear-drop for the anchor light (And that is shaped and nearly finished),  shape off the ends of the yards and a few other minor items.  He needs some turned No 8 brass cups - I've ordered them.

It won't be much longer before I can do my bit and get started on the varnishing in our conservatory, thing there is that the Ravilakk,  Brava and genuine turps is down in our wetshed Locker, never mind we are due down in a couple of weeks again.  The mast has been fashioned form those lumps of Teak and No Name hardwood photo's posted earlier.

This really is gonna be a right Bobby Dazzler when it's finished

Griff

BA NBN 522.JPG

BA NBN 523.JPG

BA NBN 524.JPG

• Like 3

On 14/02/2019 at 22:02, BroadAmbition said:

I have been champing at the bit so to speak to get into the Wizards workshop and crack on with 'B.A's new mast.  To date it hasn't happened but I can't really ring him and start badgering.

Then earlier this evening at around 2000, I'm on my way back home form doing yet another estimate when the Wizard himself rings me.  Wants to know the diameter of the power cable for the Nav Lights as he has nearly finished 'B.A's mast - WHAT?  I'm supposed to be assisting and more importantly learning but the crafty bugler has cracked on with it without telling me.  I went home, grabbed said elec cable and took it round to him.  As you can see from the photo's there ain't much left to do now. The tear-drop for the anchor light (And that is shaped and nearly finished),  shape off the ends of the yards and a few other minor items.  He needs some turned No 8 brass cups - I've ordered them.

It won't be much longer before I can do my bit and get started on the varnishing in our conservatory, thing there is that the Ravilakk,  Brava and genuine turps is down in our wetshed Locker, never mind we are due down in a couple of weeks again.  The mast has been fashioned form those lumps of Teak and No Name hardwood photo's posted earlier.

This really is gonna be a right Bobby Dazzler when it's finished

Griff

BA NBN 522.JPG

BA NBN 523.JPG

BA NBN 524.JPG

On 14/02/2019 at 22:21, BroadAmbition said:

Peter - Not a prayer, too fiddly at 12th scale.  Suggest you do the same design but don't cut out the holes in the spine and make the spine the same thickness bottom to top.  Obviously those two routed grooves will be covered by a dressing piece on the front.

Griff

On 15/02/2019 at 10:30, grendel said:

Griff, Watch this space, nowt like a good challenge. thats part of the fun of it all.

just a test run with no measurements, but I  do think I can get a similar appearance.

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

• Like 2

The s/steel ring pulls that are fitted to Port n Stbd deck hatches along with the well deck hatch - Well I have come to realise they aren't all they are cracked up to be.  They get deformed over time and the springs break.  There ain't enough metal and too much air. One of them needs replacing again.  So stuff it, another upgrade to three 316 grade s/steel, much thicker with less air and no springs.  This'll sort it once and for all

Griff

BA NBN 527.JPG

• Like 2