Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

• 3 months later...

These type of filters are the very thing.  They claim to stop the diesel bug - well they might stop it from the filter onwards but no way will they do so before the filter of course. (We use 'Soltron' in 'B.A's tank and drain off any contamination from the tank sump every slipping)  at present we have the 'Vetus' cannister type water separator onboard - it's ok but you can't see the condition of the fuel, have no way of knowing if it needs draining off or not, every major service (750 x Hrs) a new cannister has to be purchased, then fitted along with the usual spillage / mess, then having to bleed the engine fuel system to boot - it's a pain

So I have just purchased a 'Fuel-Guard' from Aquafax, other outlets are available. No more replacing filters, no more mess, no more engine bleeding, easy drain key and the fuel visible.  It is BSS compliant too even though it is see through.  we have just completed a major service on the engine and G/box last weekend, a lot happier now that is done. Also fitted some engine bay LED's that now bathe (Mustn't say 'Flood')  the whole area in a bright white light, fitted a night-nav led soft glow spotlight on the bow that is removed when not in use - both Robins idea and very good they are too.  Upgraded 'B.A's security in the wet-shed and a host of other small items, and deep cleaning of some items/areas

http://www.fuel-guard.co.uk/index.php/decontaminator-1/decontaminator.html

Now just need to get out on the rivers and enjoy being there - that's the easy bit,

Griff

• Like 3

I did an antifreeze strength check last week only to find it was just plain water. Yesterday I drained off the coolant and refilled with ready mixed coolant.  While running up the engine I now find the temp gauge is working ( hasn't since we got Nipper) and we now have hot water instead of luke warm.

work that one out !!

just need to fix the fuel leak from the new fuel pump.

Doug.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the diesel water separator filter at second attempt, 1st attempt I discovered the fittings were different, so on my way down the Ant on Tuesday I called in at LBBy for the correct ones, took me about 1:5 x Hrs start to finish including tools out/away, deck boards up/down etc. Total cost £5 for the fittings - labour = nowt, as is the norm with me of course.  Now then,  I now have a vetus filter water separator surplus to requirements.  It has done a sterling job onboard 'B.A' and it is in perfect working order  the cannister has a drain bolt on the bottom of it, it comes with its own fittings.  I'm offering it FREE to whoever wants it (A small donation to Jonzo would be acceptable)  Photo's of Vetus and its new replacement

Griff

BA NBN 215.JPG

BA NBN 216.JPG

BA NBN 217.JPG

BA NBN 218.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Macerating W/c's - a word of advice

Those of us that have these systems onboard know only too well the consequences of wet wipes and sanitary items that are disposed of down the pan.  Results are a very messy unpleasant cleaning programme at best.  Long term the consequences are also very expensive.

Last time out onboard 'B.A' it was brought to my attention that the pump was not performing correctly.  'Bugler'  I thought to mysen, looks like I'll have to take it out, open it up and clean it out again, I did not have time whilst onboard but knew it was an urgent situation that needed sorting before 'B.A' was due out again later on this month.

So on Tuesday evening iI had to drive down to ‘B.A’.  Wednesday morning took out the w/c completely stripped down the box and yes there was yet more evidence of foreign objects – this time some sort of silver wrapping medium in evidence, cleaned it out.  Re assembled but pump still not working properly.

Checked the cable supply / fuse board, put a load (spare bilge pump in a bucket of water) at the end of the cable and all is well there.   Took pump home Wednesday night.  Stripped it out, cleaned it up

The motor - one of the large external magnets is de-bonded, the com has hardly any grooves left on show.  So this morning took the motor to two re-winding companies here in Donny.  Both stated it cannot be repaired.  They also stated that the damage was caused by excessive heat.  The only way excessive heat can build up within the motor is if the motor gets overloaded.  The only way to overload the motor is when foreign objects get wrapped around the macerator blades, ie – wetwipes sanitary items etc – which as we know has happened on too many occasions.

Yes I know we have signs up, but it seems that some of our onboard guests don’t have the ability to read or think, Oh it’s only one, it won’t do any harm – well over the years it has done so

I have ordered a replacement unit at a cost of        £510        delivered to my place this week, eye watering expensive, a new complete w/c is nearly £1000 (It is a vetus unit)   I shall take the new replacement unit down with me on the 19th and install it then all will be well.

Griff

• Like 3

Gosh not only have had that awful job of sorting it out but now a huge bill at the end of the day.      Are people that stupid that they don't realise you do not put anything down a macerator loo except what has been eaten or loo paper.   It ain't rocket science is it.     I think the culprit should get the job of cleaning it next time.

:norty:

Hi Griff,

We still use the manual pump toilets and have to make sure that only two ply toilet paper is used (the cheaper the better) so it does not clog up the toilets. Toilets that just work with a touch of a button are great assuming that nothing other than the two ply tissue, is used. Makeup, or other wipes just clog up the macerator, which as you say is a pain to clean out because the fibers of the said wipes get wrapped around the blades. 

We have encountered many of these toilets on our canal trips, we have never had any problems because our crew know the ropes regarding "if its not been eaten" it does not go in the toilet. Other issues with some of these toilets is the amount of water they use. On one boat it had two different toilets, one used twice the amount of water compared to the other, the result was a early pump out on that toilet.

Pipework or routing can also be an issue with toilets, smooth walled pipe should be used.

Regards

Alan  

Heyup,

Trouble is we never know just who or when the 'Culprit' does the dastardly deed. Crew / guests onboard are always given a brief including the w/c facilities.   In our efforts to get the practise fully under control, Robin is sourcing a small hygienic bin for the heads, this will hopefully aid 'Culprits' in doing the right thing.

Water usage - yes this is the thing that fills up the holding tank pronto if it is not managed correctly.  Another sign in our heads states:-  'If it's yellow let it mellow,  if it's brown flush it down'  When afloat on the lads week with 6 x male crew we can make the holding tank last a whole week before a pump out is due.  However get afloat for a weekend with those that wear 'Over shoulder bolder holders' and by day three we can be in need of a pump out.  They are horrified at the thought of leaving a mark in the pan let alone owt else and flush the thing to death.  The vetus unit has a button facility, 1 x push = small amount of water into pan,  2 x push = large amount of water into pan,   push and hold = Evacuate with no water into the pan.  Female crew must only use the 2 x push method.  Installation of the original unit was done by me so it is spot on, short pipe runs no tight bends and smooth walled 'No smell' pipwork etc  to date the only issues we have had is with the good old foreign objects round the macerator.  2 x ply bog paper is used onboard as per the norm.

Anyroadup we will get on top of the situation

Right my dirty laundry / defunct washing machine (Brought over from the salty thread) - Rang the outlet I purchased it from 18 x months ago and they have agreed to a full refund as not fit for purpose, I will have to return it, fortunately the GriffTile van will manage this easily.  Yesterday I was out at Donny Races from midday through to around 1900 courtesy of the Yorkshire Tile Company, 7 x on the race card so I spent £74 on wagers (7 x on the nose, place pot and a quad cast)  5 winners plus result on place pot and quad cast saw a return of £190:00.  The refund from the washing machine plus MY £190 over to MrsG will see a new washing machine hopefully this weekend.  I could have done with using the £190 to go towards the new macerator but such is life.

Griff

• Like 1

WR has a very basic pump river water to holding tank. Gauge doesn't work so its guess work but the crew know least pumping water the better! However twice since installing- the pump has failed and according to the experts it's the pump out fluid that causes this despite no contact?

As the season began, Brilliant's water intake was almost solid, with a tiny amount of play just about getting the water into the loo. 

I had visions of needing to take it out and buy a new servicing kit for our museum piece Baby Blake,  costing the same as a new manual Jabsco complete toilet.

Warp, however fixed it on his last visit, the culprit was a twig in the intake, now that was really unexpected. :Sailing