Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

Griff, look on the bright side Grendal Is building a replica so any changes you might want to do can be tried out on it first.

This is what I do with Zimbi IV so now I have to paint the non-slip areas white instead of grey the anti-foul is going to be black and Jill has decided that the curtains need changing.

I think the cheapest option is to get rid of Zimbi IV.

paul

PS I had a nightmare the other night we were selling Zimbi IV and threw the model in with the deal, the model sold but the boat didn't!

• Like 1

What I need to get over here is, there ain't that much out of the ordinary.  The list seems rather long only because I have listed in detail and it is indeed a long list.  BUT a lot of those items are not maintenance items, there are one offs or 'Upgrades' as we like to call them that will never have to be done again.  We like one off upgrades, what we don't like is that they always seem to be expensive.

1) - 6)  -  Normal maintenance, with 5) being the first time they have needed to be replaced since we recommissioned her and then only one cutlass bearing was worn, the t'other one was fine but we thought it false economy only changing one of them

7)  First time in four years and then only to keep Robin off my case

8) No question this needed doing again, it was done two years ago, and will probably need doing in another two years, but next time I have a cunning plan, its called epifanes PP 4 x coats followed by 2 x coats of Brava - then it will last longer

09) - 11)  Once every two years

12)  A one off, Robins doing again

13) - 17) - Once every two years.  18) and 19) get done every major engine service but seemed sill not do do them whilst we are down there.

20), 21), 23), 26), 27) A one off.   22), 24), 25)  every two years.   28) - As required and after every AMP

29) First time in 12 years and needed doing due to 34) and 35) - both one offs

30) present cables are fine, this is preventative maintenance and peace of mind, the Supreme versions are very long lasting so this should be a one off too.  31) - Might be something or nothing.  32)  What's annoying here is that the sealed uj is fine but the one with the grease nipple that we meticulously apply is worn.  So by fitting two new sealed units this will also hopefully be a one off for the foreseeable.   33), 36), 37) Upgrades,  38) Self explanatory,  39) As a result of 7).   40),  41) One off,   42)  Upgrade

There, that seems to have covered it nicely.  Of course assuming the forthcoming maintenance weekend is attended by more than just me, we will achieve a lot of items that are outstanding on the list = A happy Griff

Griff

• Like 2

One thing Griff where's the bloody whippit ?   :270_dog2:

You may speaky in jest, but in my early days I did indeed have a whippit, well not a purebreed but 80% of her was whippit, I had two ferrets too.  Used to go rabbiting with purse nets and the like.  Nowadays a whippit ain't much good for retrieving pheasants and partridges though hence our Macie Golden retriever.    Of course I have various flat caps

Griff

• Like 2

In my teens we had a feisty pet rabbit who got on well with our elderly dog. The dog died and in due course a lively border collie joined the family. My brother was 'training' it to catch rabbits out in the countryside.

Came the day that the two animals met, I was running to the rescue, but no need. The rabbit sensed that the dog sniffling his neck was up to no good, and sank his teeth into the dog's nose.

Result! The dog avoided all rabbits from that day onwards.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Griff,

I didn't realize that you were a flat capper  (ok for the shooting lark) I hope you do not wear it in the van or I will have to avoid driving in Doncaster and at times on the Broads:naughty:

Regards

Alan

No your ok Alan the whippets drive the van guided by the ferrets......

Charlie

• Like 2

A few more photo's I found from the recent AMP at Southgates, Horning.

310 = A busy 'GriffTile' van - it got a lot busier too! - Took me ages to sort it out once I got home.   311 = Arrival at Southgates.   312 = The lads are ready for her.   313 = In we go.   314 = Who's this scurrilous character loafing around with intent?   315 = Here you are, two planks of genuine Burmese Teak.  The planks were about 4" and 6" wide and just over 1" thick, not a lot of timber there but a horrendous price of £145!!!  Needless to say I have saved every last square inch of any left overs / offcuts.   316 = Nearly forgot this one, due to the angle on the slipway and 'B.A's length, the rubbing strip on the transom was very nearly submerged, she normally never gets wet that high up (Thames return journey excepted of course)

Griff

BA NBN 310.JPG

BA NBN 311.JPG

BA NBN 312.JPG

BA NBN 313.JPG

BA NBN 314.JPG

BA NBN 315.JPG

BA NBN 316.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Yep we have pulled the trigger re Marine Tuft and instructed Alan to template up the cabins onboard 'B.A' and proceed with the order.   I will of course post some before / during and after photo's with a relevant write up (Alan will need to do the 'During' photo's)

Griff

As long as he finishes mine first,  ( he has,  just awaiting quality control inspection ) The photos he sent look good  a bit smaller than your job Griff :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Got a rate bargain there. Just purchased a job lot of surplus Burmese Teak from a chap that is on with a project, much cheaper than the last lot I bought in Hoveton last month. We don't actually need any Teak just now and it's hardly likely to 'Go Off'  but could not resist the price and these gift horses don't come round very often. 

I have two photos emailed to this iPhone but have not yet worked out how to put them into the photo file as of yet  the sellers project boat is some size

Griff

• Like 1

Griff, re: gift horses, 20-odd years ago a Cuban (I think) boat lost its deck-cargo off the Cork anchorage and a positive flotilla of fishing boats set out from Felixstowe Ferry to clear the shipping lanes - it helped that the flotsam was mainly 18" x 3" x 12 foot planks of red hardwood! There are still some very sturdy gear sheds standing down there! It was a b*gg*r to cut but I got a nice back doorstep for two pints of Tolly!

• Like 1