Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

1 minute ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Those solar panels are great! :1311_thumbsup_tone2:Totally keep the lines sleek. Hopefully we'll see such innovation and attention to detail on the ones that appear on people's roofs. 

Thanks Andy,

They are not without their issues mind you, The large glass 'roof' panels you see are better and more efficient but they are also larger and taller and so on so brilliant in a solar farm, on top of a roof not so sleek and user friendly on a boat.  The semi-flexible models also loose efficiency in high temperatures but overall as I say for the boat they look so much nicer than the single large panel that was there previously.

4 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Thanks Andy,

They are not without their issues mind you, The large glass 'roof' panels you see are better and more efficient but they are also larger and taller and so on so brilliant in a solar farm, on top of a roof not so sleek and user friendly on a boat.  The semi-flexible models also loose efficiency in high temperatures but overall as I say for the boat they look so much nicer than the single large panel that was there previously.

Hopefully we'll see such innovation and attention to detail on the ones that appear on people's roofs

Can you get them in slate grey colour?

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

MM - you are exactly correct.

I didn’t realise I should have explained the whole 9 months prior to the invitation being issued for the point I was making in my previous post or for the benefit of RH so he could dissect or derail yet another thread

Griff

When you have finished CG since we appear to be using initials now , no body asked you to explain if yiu look but they or rather I did point out  that it was not a pure invitation as your post suggested and since this who thing germinated on another forum how would you expect member's here to know that ? .

As for derailing threads I think that's a rather OTT statement , its not a  case of dissecting anything just accuracy of a post that's all , so far as I know member's are entitled to their opinions still even if they disagree with others on any thread including those you started .

21 hours ago, TheQ said:

I have four of those semi flexible panels on the top of my Elysian, and I've been very happy with them..

Would be most interested to have a look at flexible panels, we are discussing options for electrics on BG for next year. Currently we just have battery power which we find just about adequate for our needs (lighting and fridge). The issue for us is the lack of roof space due to the sliding roof. Also, I am not too sure about the aesthetics of them so I would like to see how they would look on a vintage boat. With the World Cup being on this year, I am tempted to bring forward the electrical up-grade and install a dreaded television. 

Beware when fitting the flexi panels.A gent on a youtube tried playing it as a wobble board before fitting it, he could not get it to work fully afterwards. see "cruising the cut"

Love the boat and your thread Socrates.these boat are becoming important history now. Owners,like yourself, griff, and polly should be proud of yourselves.

Paul. 

• Like 1

Sorted.  Mysen and Bro' took a flying visit down to the wet shed today, left home at 0530 and not one set of roadworks on t road. The upper deck in now proudly showing off it's new 'Dek-King' to match the well deck I applied about 4 x years ago.  Still need to deep clean the Stbd side, and fit fender plates plus dress the top application of sealant.  The s/steel borders for the aft hatches also need ordering too,  all this for another day.  We also tended to a few other items whilst onboard.

Whilst in the shed I met the owner of Admiral VI a Brooms woody from a bygone era.  I have yet to meet his Admiral but have told him when I get a moment I will dig out some photo's of her that we have when we had her out on hire.

Departed Wet Shed at around 1930, home for 2230 including a stop, which is what a normal journey time should be.  Now of course I have to work tomorrow to pay back the day I pinched off them today

A few photo's,

Griff

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The Tesla tiles are great but unfortunately on an average roof will never be able to pay themselves back, they are simply too expensive. Fantastic tech but just a few years before it’s time. 

Oh and they also break quite easily as well. More refining needed before I spend my dollars. Really great idea but like the battery storage just too expensive for everyone at the moment. 

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, it seems it is the season for electrical gremlins of late what with other forumites experiences

The cranking battery onboard has been starting to show signs of getting tired of late so I thought.  So whilst at NYA in Brundall last week I asked them to drop test the battery.  Nothing wrong with the battery it is fine.  I was advised therefore a dodgy earth or a worn starter motor. NYA lent me a meter to test the amps flowing to the starter but first to check all connections.  Duly checked - All connections fine and clean, if they had not of been I would have given mysen a talking too.  So next was the cold cranking test.  I was expecting to see between 3-400amps at the starter cable. The test meter goes up to 600amps.  The reading was off the scale!  The Beta Marine onboard has completed coming up to 2'750 x Hrs, the starter motor is not a physically large unit either (Sorry, should have taken a photo) of those 2'750 hours I have no idea how many times the starter motor has been called upon but it will have been an awful lot.   As a result I have removed the starter motor.  NYA will source / supply a new unit and Bro will fit it this Wednesday.

Next - during some mornings when MrsG was using owt through the inverter i.e toaster, hair drier, GHD's etc the alarm on the inverter monitor panel was beeping.  Checking the monitoring station - it was showing less than 12v in the system  Added to this overnight we have been seeing a use of around 300amps.  300amps? - that's an awful lot of power used overnight considering only the fridge and led lighting has been used.  We have 6 x 120amp leisure batteries onboard so a capacity of 720 amps, but to use getting on for 300amps overnight  - there is something wrong.  I suspect that one if not more of the leisure batteries have gone down.  So we have ordered a drop tester, (should have had one ages ago come to think of it)  Again, come Wednesday Bro' will disconnect and drop test each battery in situ.  We will see

Griff

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Please can we stop this talk of battery problems, my two 6 year old domestic batteries might hear!

paul

Six years old, they are barely run in :default_rofl:

The oldest three on my boat are either 12 or 13 years old and still going strong. In 2005 I purchased 4 x 110ah Bosch leisure batteries from Costco. A year later I purchased another 2. Of those three have now been retired, but the other three are still going strong, but I'm not sure if they are 2005 or 2006 vintage. At least one of them must be 2005.

I do like getting my monies worth! :default_coat:

'Sealley' drop tester arrived today, it is now with Bro' ready for testing of leisure batteries on  Wednesday

NYA contacted me today too,  informed they have sourced a new starter motor (For not a lot of money) which will be delivered tomorrow ready for Bro' to fit.

Big Chuck Up for NYA and their customer service - Recommended

Griff

• Like 1

I don't really think 'B..A's electrical issues are complicated.  Just a case of fair wear and tear and replacement of serviceable items.  I just want to be sure that I am replacing what needs replacing before I go wasting our finances.  I post a running update on this kind of thing in here so that others that of yet do not own a boat  may have some inkling and learn or indeed offer opinions if I am getting it obviously wrong in their eyes

Griff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

This one which Robin sourced.  Howard tested it at home last nights, seems to be fine and dandy.    We went for this model as it is easier to get into tight spaces with the thing, I have also seen a few boatyards use the same model too.  Hope this helps

Griff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-BT91-Battery-Drop-Tester/dp/B000RA14PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532436194&sr=8-1&keywords=sealey+battery+tester