Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

I bought three from Ebay, inc the P&P were £27:97 making them about £9:32 ea. Sizes are 75 x 56mm and 2:5mm thick here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140506455848

Those that Grendel posted look to be exactly the same only at £11:10 ea plus whatever P&P making them more expensive,

Hope this helps,

Griff

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Flying visit last weekend.  Mysen, Bro' and Robin onboard Friday evening to get stuck straight in. Robin had sat the Brava varnish next to a fan heater to warm it up for flowing.  I de-nibbed cant rail, teak pads, 2 x shelves and dab surround the applied the final and only coat of Brava varnish so it would be dry for Saturday afternoon.  In the meantime Robin and Howard were investigating just why our ultra reliable Mikuni 3:5kw warm air heating system refused to do anything, no indication light, no nothing.  The Mikuni is now in its twelfth year and has done plenty of sterling service not missing a beat to date.  By silly o clock they had done enough for the evening declaring that it 'May' be the control box.  Not having a spare one of those in our locker at £320:00 that was the end of our toils for Friday night.

Saturday morning it was onto t'other stuff.  I rang Mikuni in Southampton but they were not open until today.  The main man was not available so I will ring him tomorrow.

We fitted the well deck s/steel hatch border - Strangely it was somehow £15 more expensive and supplied without screws ????  The upgraded  MM 'Knob Pullers' were fitted too.  The upgraded triple switch was fitted to the helm, although not full wired up as of yet.

The DAB/FM aerial incorporating its own signal booster - We played about with this somewhat, confirmed where it will be mounted, agreed it was gonna be another one of those running cable 'Mother of all jobs' yet again,  This will be carried out during the forthcoming AMP.  The aerial is now up here with a mate having a modification done to the mounting system to make it more 'B.A' user friendly

Those deck lights - Howard Soldering - Me fitting, Robin grinning - This was his idea after all.  Woweeeeee.  Well that is to say the Stbd side is wowee, the Port side refused to spark up so we have a dodgy connection somewhere or other.  Again this will be looked into during the AMP.

The float switch in the engine bilge area has been changed for one with no internal rolling ball.  The last one was becoming somewhat erratic and unreliable - Cant have bilge pump / float switches being unreliable.

We also changed our lockers fluorsecent strip lamp for a 6ft twin strip LED version - Another Wow moment - Night into day, dismal grey winters day into bright summer sunshine - Well chuffed.

Photo's to follow

Griff

• Like 1

We departed for home Saturday evening at around 2100 which got me home for 0030 and Bro' for 0045.  Reginald Molehusband would have been home for about 2130 - Show off.

A snippit of information ref those reliable Mikuni heating systems - DON'T buy one either warm air or hot water version.

The one onboard 'B.A' is the MY30 which is the highest capacity warm air heating system that Mikuni make rated at 3:5kw using :5 Ltr per hour at full chat.  It has been for the past twelve years ultra reliable, quiet in operation.  'B.A' at 40ft with five cabins plus the saloon area is a fair size for 3:5kw to warm up.  But warm 'B.A' up it did very nicely.  Mainly due to me insulating all the vent pipes and 'B.A' being built of the proper stuff (Wood of course), once the actual fabric of 'B.A' gets warmed through the 3:5kw Mikuni kept her toasty even during the coldest winter nights.

So why not buy one? - Because Eberspacher found they could not compete with the build quality etc of Mikuni so bought out the heating side of Mikuni then promptly closed the operation down.  Result that the spare parts back up system is going to become more and more difficult to obtain such. I got all this information from Mikuni head office in Southampton today whilst on the phone with them.  They now supply the 'MV' range.

I have a historical dislike of Ebespachers - Even more so now.

This puts us in a right quandary with regards to our Mikuni.  If it is indeed the control box (I should know tomorrow for sure, he states optimistically) do we spend the £320:00? or would that be throwing good money after bad as the next breakdown which may happen soon or not for years maybe the final straw as no spare parts available

I foresee with very little foresight our resident research expert getting involved anytime now if he hasn't done so already

Griff

• Like 2

If it were me, if you can't definitely pin down the fault, go for a new unit of your choice. At 12 years service things will start to go wrong, and if spares are going to become a problem, it's time to change it. What store do you put on peace of mind that it's going to work every time you need it? 

• Thanks 1

I like the deck lights, really useful after a DTS. Not sure how Grendel will get them at 12th size for the models.

As far as the heater goes, how about trying the Planer unit that I hear so much about. The complete set up costs less than the control unit for your Makuni.

• Like 1