Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Erm, we’re posting this interesting stuff on t wrong thread again. I’d proper like a complete record of Grendel’s amazing efforts on t model thread.   Pretty please 

Griff

I will post them in the correct thread when i get  to that bit Charlie

• Like 1

Only the genuine 'Planer' is made in Russia, definitely not China

Well that is to say the actual burner/fan unit is Russian.  All the rest of the gear - pump, exhaust, vents etc are sourced here in UK along with the uk marketing company that supplies them.  There are Chinese copies that claim to be a 'Planer' but are not.

How do I know all this? - Because as expected our resident research expert is on the case.  We could soon well be trialling a new 'Planer' unit onboard 'B.A' in the not too distant future.  Robin will no doubt be along in due course with a proper more detailed explanation

Griff

I put it to the other owners like this:

1)We could go to JPC for example and get a Webasto with local back up should anything go amiss, and a full warranty and pay something like £1,800.00.

2) We could go on Ebay or Amazon and buy a Clone from China for under £200.00.  It would have no back up whatsoever and could be considered a disposable item.

3) We could spend somewhere in the region of £500.00 to £600.00 and get a Plannar Heater (Auto Therm). These are made in Russia, to their own design and so is not a clone of a Webasto. Furthermore they have UK support and parts, a 2 year warranty and some very good reviews in the boating press - most recently in Yachting monthly.

It did not take too long for us to see the route that combined some UK support and parts availability with a good price.  Today I called Plannar and spoke to a really helpful chap who talked me through the options. He also said that things like the new, updated and super quest fuel pump (silent in operation) were made for the UK market, and a number of other items specifically for the marine installation that were equal to, or better than Webasto but of far superior quality to anything from China (he has had one on test from China and the weak point is their Glow plugs apparently along with the loudness of their exhaust).

So some more looking into things and actually they don't do a 5Kw heater, just the 4Kw or a massive Kw version. Because of the way the heat exchanger has been made along with the combustion chamber, more of the fuel that burns can be converted to usable heat and thus it will use much the same amount per hour as our old warm air heater, yet produce more heat and a lot more air volume.

I too would avoid Eberpsahcer having a D5 installed on Independence which caused some issues within a year of being installed, by a main agent - very poor after sales service form them, and indeed not much to be said for Panks who tested it for 3 hours on a bench and changed the Glow Plug, I am still unsure if it is performing correctly but at least it fires and runs but for close on £5,000.00 it seems a no brainer to go with something that has an individual you can call up, get advice from and send out parts from from their own Warehouse in Winchester  should you need anything. 

I will talk to them tomorrow to finalise our specification list and get it ordered for delivery in time for our AMP in April. Of course we will be frank and honest here how such performs and hopefully this will be helpful for other boaters who need a new heater or are considering just updating their own but can't find too much details about makes other than 'the two big boys'. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

He's omitted the best sentence which puts the choice in perspective perfectly as part of the brief he sent to us lot earlier which tickled me no end:- 

I’d likely go with Planar. Someone here in U.K. to contact for parts, not too cheap and proven in the cold of Russia where they are used for truck heaters and sell hundreds of thousands a year and not from Wong Ton Ting of China who when it goes t1ts up have no contact and effectively throw it out and buy another. 

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sssshhhhhhhhh,  Wanna know a secret?

I collected 'B.A's new replacement mast from The Wizard today, it is now at home with me in our conservatory and looking splendid.  Itching to commence my part, that is final rub down, then 2 x applications of 5 Star cuprinol prior to commencing varnishing.  Can't do owt on it this evening as being the first Wednesday of the month it is our clay shooting evening / pub dinner near to Bawtry

Griff

Dear Griff, does Robin do contract work and how much does he charge. 

Joking aside. We have a D2 which has worked beautifully for the past 9 years. It heats the front cabin to a sauna, where we provide towels and some twigs. And heats the saloon to jammy film watching chocolate melting temperatures in October. 

when it breaks I know who I will be talking with. Robiiiiiin... he he 

Youre a treasure not to be wasted Robin you really are.... 

M

• Like 1

Yes we are aware of this although the Planer guy reckons our Mikuni exhaust / silencer it will fit straight on.  I should be so lucky eh? - Not - But we will see.  It'll no doubt me who is fitting the thing anyroadup seeing as I fitted the Mikuni originally

Griff

On 06/03/2019 at 20:19, ZimbiIV said:

One word of warning the exhaust is not usually compatible with the common systems but it is easy to get a connector made locally, rather than disturb the skin fitting get one made.

No need, if we need to use it, the new unit comes complete with a very posh polished 316 stainless exhaust skin fitting, silencer, and intake air silencer - use together I have been told the noise is a gentle hum from outside the boat and inside cuts down a lot on the induction noise caused by the combustion air being sucked in. I have one of these on Indy, it was a £260.00 options though, because Eberspacher.

I also popped along to JPC Direct today and got a reducer that should fit out existing ducting, We need 90mm to the first vent, kit comes with 2m of ducting at 90mm for this and vent. I then optioned a Y section and from this Y we reduce down. I could only imagine the pain if we had to replace all the ducting runs with 90mm stuff.  And before anyone asks, this is not me saying it is okay to do it this way, this comes from the company themselves.

By the way Martin, if you want heated towel rails and hot water Plannar do hot water heaters - instead of air they heat water, then pump it off around a closed circuit much like a household system. This can then heat a hot water tank, a towel rail, radiators or matrix style vents with 12v fans behind them to distribute warm air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a cold and wet 10 day voyage on the RGO. From Ely on one of Bridge Boats Sunrays, (Alpha 29 sport bridge). Fitted with a very slim boiler heating radiators it was superb, not only keeping us warm below but drying our constantly damp clothing, towels etc.

• Like 1

We also had the wet system on a narrowboat last September on the Llangollen canal which I was very impressed with, pitty the rest of the boat wasn’t up to a good build standard. If I was to have a boat built and specified I would go this way.

John

Thanks Robin

We already have a heated towel rail. Heated as part of the engine  cooling system. Toby designed and fitted it when he was at Moonfleet. Works a treat although it does delay achieving operating temperature if chuffing along at 4 mph by about twenty minutes in the summer and 45 or so in the winter. 

Mal is not really big enough to fuss as we don’t have the number of cabins that BA does . We have two and the D2 works fine. When that dies I can see Fiona asking for a towel rail in the galley a heated foot rail in the wheelhouse and bed warmers in the front cabin. Watch this space. 

I bet bed warmers has got Mrs G thinking sorry Robin more research required. 

M

The best thing I have fitted to Zimbi according to Jill is the electric towel rail, when hooked up being able to have nice warm towels is nice but she leaves it on all night for those night time visits.

It only uses 150 watts so I suppose the cost overnight is not too bad.

As an aside Robin I mentioned the Planar exhaust fitting adaption to avoid disturbing the skin fitting.

paul

This is now proper bothering me.  For one reason or another, try as I have,  I just cannot seem to get home during daylight hours so I can get the final detail sanding done to 'B.A's new mast. (Which has to be done outside)  There are thirteen different pieces of timber gone into the mast, a mixture of Teak and our 'No name hardwood'  There maybe an opportunity tomorrow between tiling and grouting a floor in a hotel

Griff

BA NBN 546.JPG

BA NBN 547.JPG

• Like 2