Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Useful bit of kit! That is until you drop a bit of 316 stainless over the side! Trouble is so much marine kit is non-magnetic.

I was reading that those strong magnets have a bit following for the sport of "Magnet Fishing". You attached a long line, lob the business end into The Cut and drag the bottom. All sorts has been found inc. Ordnance!

WE live about 10 yards from the Grand Union in Warwick, the magnet fishers leave old bikes and other metal rubbish on the edge of the towpath.  Over the next few days the local kids return these to the canal so the magnet fishers can pull them out again !!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Wow, what a difference, the metal is now shiny!  Of course left open to the elements it'll go rusty again, so I'll spray paint it with primer and some topcoat

Griff

BA NBN 779.jpg

I told you it was good stuff. expensive, but does the business.

You did, it is, and it certainly did.

I masked the labels up, two coats of spray on grey primer followed by some bright orange top coat coz that is what was to hand in t garage and in clear water it'll make it easier to see when underwater.  It'll go back onboard whenever I get to visit sometime whenever

Griff243625115_BANBN780.thumb.jpg.7fbb6ada1f31743b1884a24d619326ad.jpg1377932493_BANBN781.thumb.jpg.70c7841d0a482f395df95987b6555d9d.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here we 'Try' and go again.  I have booked a full 7x days in on 'B.A's calendar diary, also gapped my work diary, and made the obligatory entry in our social diary.  Early July with about five mates we hope to be onboard to get those maintenance and upgrade items seen to.  Here's hoping, pubs open or not

Griff

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Ok, here we 'Try' and go again.  I have booked a full 7x days in on 'B.A's calendar diary, also gapped my work diary, and made the obligatory entry in our social diary.  Early July with about five mates we hope to be onboard to get those maintenance and upgrade items seen to.  Here's hoping, pubs open or not

Griff

I do hope the restrictions are lifted in early July,  I am due to go down to the boat on the on the 7th July. If the staying overnight rules have been rescinded. Lets hope for the best.

Regards 

Alan

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Looks we are 'Go'  Originally I had planned with a group of volunteers / Pressed men to go down to 'B.A' on Thursday evening of the 02nd July.  Got it booked in with work and social diaries.  That was booked in ages ago using my own 'Best Guess' that restrictions would be partially lifted.  It turns out I was only two days out - Result!  I have extended the maintenance period through to Sunday the 12th but hope to be home before then.

So, do I / we  go down on Thursday evening of the 02nd? That would mean staying onboard two nights prior to the official lifting date of July 04th and risk the rath of Richo's not to mention getting publicly pillared in here if nowhere else.

Seeing as our lot up here have been following our governments guidelines since March 22nd  - We intend to keep doing so.  Therefore I / we will travel down Late Friday 03rd.  Arriving after midnight which gets us into the 04th July - Bingo! We are good to commence work and stay onboard.  'B.A' being easily big enough for social distancing with the appropriate PPE stuff

We will for at least one night venture out staying alongside a suitable hostelry just so we can receive a digital tv reception and at last sort out that issue once and for all

I would dearly love to go down on the Mighty Tiger but unfortunately due to the amount of tools and items it will have to be in the 'GriffTile' van.  Annoyingly the first weekend onboard coincides with my local Sunday Clay shoot - Still can't have it all ways.

Onwards and upwards in the normal manner once again.

Counting down the days

Griff

• Like 6

That raises an interesting question. If I am on my boat and have been for at least two weeks, and they reverse the lockdown. Am I better to stay put, or to come back to Harlow? there could be three levels of answer. Legally, morally and infectionally. (now there's a useful word I just made up!)

27 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Griff, don't make any alterations that going to give Peter a problem with the model.

paul

Well it gives him sommat  to do!

however, no external or viewable wheelhouse modifications are due that I’m aware of. 

Griff

20 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Looks we are 'Go'  Originally I had planned with a group of volunteers / Pressed men to go down to 'B.A' on Thursday evening of the 02nd July.  Got it booked in with work and social diaries.  That was booked in ages ago using my own 'Best Guess' that restrictions would be partially lifted.  It turns out I was only two days out - Result!  I have extended the maintenance period through to Sunday the 12th but hope to be home before then.

So, do I / we  go down on Thursday evening of the 02nd? That would mean staying onboard two nights prior to the official lifting date of July 04th and risk the rath of Richo's not to mention getting publicly pillared in here if nowhere else.

Seeing as our lot up here have been following our governments guidelines since March 22nd  - We intend to keep doing so.  Therefore I / we will travel down Late Friday 03rd.  Arriving after midnight which gets us into the 04th July - Bingo! We are good to commence work and stay onboard.  'B.A' being easily big enough for social distancing with the appropriate PPE stuff

We will for at least one night venture out staying alongside a suitable hostelry just so we can receive a digital tv reception and at last sort out that issue once and for all

I would dearly love to go down on the Mighty Tiger but unfortunately due to the amount of tools and items it will have to be in the 'GriffTile' van.  Annoyingly the first weekend onboard coincides with my local Sunday Clay shoot - Still can't have it all ways.

Onwards and upwards in the normal manner once again.

Counting down the days

Griff

You can travel down on the morning of the third quite legally provided you do not go to sleep before midnight after which it is the 4th and you can sleep on board!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

You can travel down on the morning of the third quite legally provided you do not go to sleep before midnight after which it is the 4th and you can sleep on board!

And I thought I was the greatest cynic.

I applaud you.

paul

Thanks Dave - Good point, well made.  I shall now travel down sometime Friday afternoon, get onboard and stay awake till past 2359

Griff

First item sorted. This is a inspection hatch cover for the bulkhead in t double cabin. The inspection hatch gives access to the Planar heater. The cover was sorted by our Wizard at home. I’ve since been applying the obligatory six coats of varnish. It got its final full strength coat last night so now it can be put in place

Griff

B3962677-A9A1-491A-826F-188F1116742C.jpeg

Installed. 

Spent  yesterday on the Planar Heating  system  Removed the lot apart from Mikuni Silencer. We are intending to resite it within the engine space. This entails quite a lot of work. Moving control cables, exhaust, intakes x2, heating ducts, connectors, diesel delivery, burner and brackets etc etc. 

Also commenced removing Velcro to replace with new around wheelhouse canopy, pig of a job is that

Griff

3B175F78-3A62-4A0A-968E-274312F0109E.jpeg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Hi Griff, how are you finding the Planar system? Any good? As and when I get that far along with my boat I will likely go for a Planar set up I think..

Would also be interested. We have just ordered one.

We have a Planar system, apart from it taking 2/3 minutes to start up after pressing the button it's fine and quieter than the old worn out Eber.

You just need a simple part fabricating to match up with the Eber exhaust.

Wish I had gone along with the remote control system, the idea of phoning the heater to start before getting out of bed on a cold morning does appeal.

paul

• Thanks 1