Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

• 2 months later...

Awoke Monday morning with the alarm after only 4 Hrs kip - I'm getting too old for this sort of carry on

Upholstery - I knew that due to me altering the battens on the back of the uprights here at home it would cause issues fitting it onboard, which it did.  However with a trusty multi cutter it was soon rectified and fitted.  Proper chuffed, lets see how long this lot lasts for.  The seat cushions are now a lot more firm and very pleasant, look good too

Then it was the turn of that fridge door, it turned out not to be a straight swap, I had to transfer over a bottom bracket which entailed drilling and then some self tapping screws.  The new fridge door is maintaining a seal despite the fridge carcass face still needing some attention.  What was most disappointing is that the door trays with the new door are fouling the shelves / ice box / salad tray so they can't be used.  The door trays from the original door won't fit inside the new door either.  This cuts down the capacity of the fridge by quite some margin.  It'll do for now but it does look like we are once again into the realms of a £600 spend on a new fridge.  It's proper annoying seeing as this one is still performing fine apart from the rusty door.  Still,  if we get fifteen years out of it like this one, we should not complain too much.

Tuesday was the turn of the Beta needing a major service.  Changed the impellor, diesel filter, air filter oil filter, oil. flushing oil, removed heat exchanger stack, rodded out then jet washed, refitted with new 'O' rings.  Drained the cooling system and flushed out with fresh water, replaced with new coolant.  cleaned diesel water separator filter too.  Visually inspected everywhere I could get too. Should have added 200ml of ZX1 but forgot to bring it with me

Here's an example of just how to waste time whilst in Norfolk.  After I had drained the hot used engine oil I realised that I had forgotten flushing oil.  I only use flushing oil for a major service which is every 750 x Hrs.  'B.A's Beta now at 3000 hrs btw since recommission Oct 07.  So leaving the wet shed it was well over an hour before I returned, here's why:-

I visited Motorman in Stalham, they stock but not today flushing oil.  So onto the phone, Boulters - non in stock, Nearest and dearest - Don't sell it. Rang up Halfords in Gt Yarmouth only it wasn't Gt Yarmouth, nope it was a national call centre who kept insisting I give them a registration number, so I did - R641, that threw them.  They just could not understand all I wanted to know was did the GYA branch have it in stock on the shelves, such a simple question, she eventually suggested that she would ring them and ask whilst putting me on hold - Funny old thing that is what I had tried to do - Anyroadup - Yes they did, eureka.  I was just to drive off when I had an idea.  Rather than having to drive to GYA for 5 x Ltrs flushing oil,   hopped back into Motorman, picked up a 500ml tin of flushing additive and then asked them for the cheapest, thinnest straight mineral oil.  (I would mix the two together and use that)

Different guy at the sales counter

Him - Erm why don't you buy 5 x Ltrs flushing oil instead mate?

Me - Coz you don't have any

Him - Yes we do

Me - No you don't, would you like to have a look-see like what I did and your colleague?

Him - after looking - seems we have ran out of stock

Me - Your colleague said the same thing funnily enough

Him - Hang on I know whats happened here, the stock on the shelves is mixed up.  He moves a couple of tubs and there hiding at the back was about 3 x 5 x Ltrs Flushing oil!

Eureka again, and I was so nearly driving off to GYA

An hour before I got back onboard with it.

The Beta has a sacrificial anode at the aft end of the heat exchanger.   It had most successfully sacrificed itsen.  Now I know we have a spare but could I find it? Could I hellers like.  Jason has a bag full of em so I will collect one on my next visit and fit it then.  I also visited Toby with notice to arrange for me to drop the Borg Warner off with him for him to replace the input shaft sometime soon, I didn't service the box what with it due to be seeing Toby soon

I ran the Beta up and lost a decent screwdriver somewhere in the bilge / engine bay.  I heard it rattling off somewhere but eventually gave up looking for it, it'll show itsen as and when.  It'll be another 250 x Hrs before the next minor service will be due I'll probably find it then he says optimistically.  I visually inspected the reservoir greasers for the stern gland and the rudder shafts, all to the good

Wednesday Barton Broad- exterior clean in the sunshine, took me ages but what a difference.  The canopy was proper filthy, had to wash it three times with flash, microfibre and hot water before applying gloss Amour All it is now back to it's proper colour, shiny, supple and looking brand new once again.  The mooring ropes and mudweight ropes were engrained with bird sh1t so I chucked the lot into the Broad for a soak whilst fender cleaning.  I noticed the fender ropes are now well past their best, they are 10mm 3 ply polyester, far too thick in hindsight and should be 8mm max imo.  I really want some quick length adjusters for these, something similar to what is used on tent guy ropes but as of yet not managed to source any.  So once home I tried to order 11m of 8mm 3 ply polyester in blue only I couldn't.  I can order 10m or 15m.  I ordered 15m for less than £14 delivered from Ebay - Bargain, I'll eye and back splice them to length next visit along with hopefully either a new fridge door or a complete fridge.  The mooring ropes, spares, second mudweight rope eight in all have been put through MrsG's washing machine on the longest programme I could find with added fabric softener, they too now look / feel brand new once again.  They will be taken back down next visit

Onwards and upward again my boy,

Griff

BA NBN 946.jpg

BA NBN 947.jpg

BA NBN 948.jpg

BA NBN 949.jpg

BA NBN 950.jpg

BA NBN 951.jpg

BA NBN 952.jpg

BA NBN 953.jpg

BA NBN 954.jpg

BA NBN 955.jpg

BA NBN 956.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I also remembered to take our 'Sound Sausages' back home for our upholster lady to recover them, these should have been home with me initially but I omitted to take them.  Once completed the spare material will be posted down to Grendel for the models.  Robin serviced / checked our onboard alarm system, and our cctv system.  We had developed issues with both due to cables and joints, all now to the good

The 8mm 3 ply polyester fender rope turned up yesterday (That was quick) but still not been able to find a quick release system for the fenders despite much searching

I also need to buy some child size buoyancy jackets so advice as to where from and what type would be appreciated on this one.  We are hoping / due to have grandchildren afloat with us during August, their ages range from 1 x year to 7 x years (Five of em in all but not all onboard at same time)

Like a right pillock I left my leather boots onboard, this is somewhat annoying and will be awkward as being of the male species I don't possess another pair of em and would have been using them for clay shooting / Purdey walking

Griff

I know you have no guard wires on BA but could you adapt a "Fastfender" hook. Fastfenders are good because they also allow for fast adjustment as well. The problem is most builders fit fender rings on deck which you are stuck with. My best mate Steve had a new Orkney built and he had Taco fast release installed from new they are excellent but they are a deck fitting and so would require drilling.

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Like a right pillock I left my leather boots onboard, this is somewhat annoying and will be awkward as being of the male species I don't possess another pair of em and would have been using them for clay shooting / Purdey walking

Griff

I think this would call for another weekend on board ASAP.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Could I post them up to you if you are not down for a while?

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I also need to buy some child size buoyancy jackets so advice as to where from and what type would be appreciated on this one.  We are hoping / due to have grandchildren afloat with us during August, their ages range from 1 x year to 7 x years (Five of em in all but not all onboard at same time)

Griff

We managed to borrow some from George at Ludham for when our grandson came down , I should think Sutton has some for their day boats may be worth asking him ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on buoyancy aids, what we have already got (One) and having purchased a few more second hand jobbies (From a fellow forumite) we are now sorted for the grandkids.  Purdey dog - No problem, have already got three different sizes for her handed down from Dusty / Macie dogs

Thanks for those of you that offered assistance / advice :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 2

Hold the Front Page

Plan A:-  We so very nearly pulled the trigger there on a new LEC Shoreline 12v DC compressor fridge there, Robin was going to collect it this week

However due to yet more diligent research and conversing with another boat owner, Robin has just ordered an 'Inventor' fridge.  It's the same size, same capacity as the present one onboard.  Big difference is around £450 in our favour :default_icon_clap:    This one costs £150 delivered and should arrive at my hovel this Wednesday.  Its an ultra efficient, super insulated 240v compressor type

240v ?  I hear you cry in amazement?    Well yes, but it only consumes 72w through our invertor about 6:5amps DC per hour on max chat.  Of course it won't be running flat out all the time.  Besides when we get onboard and switch it on initially we are connected to shore power.  Having six 120 amp leisure batteries onboard, solar panels, 165amp alternator capability, shore power as and when, we are tentatively confident it will do the job for us without flattening down our power bank

If it all goes horribly wrong, we can just sell it on and revert back to plan A

Besides, someone's gotta try one and report back their findings on here, might as well be us

Griff

BA NBN 959.JPG

BA NBN 960.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

New fridge has arrived, a day early too :default_beerchug:  I'll be taking it down this Friday, fitting Saturday

Griff

BA NBN 961.jpg

Wish I could be there to see your face light up when you open it.. :default_eusa_dance: