Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

This common cold is a gudden, had a big roll as my best mate on the drive down last night

Turned in at 0315 with tissue stuffed up each intake

My dose is sore, see, can’t even speak proper 

Right, out wi the old fridge 

Griff

• Haha 1

Hi I can remember the Old Days of having a Fridge Ice box where you have to exchange the block at a Boat Yard big chest Freezer for New Frozen One  then Gas Fridges came along now Electric Fridges not house hold size  and expensive as to ordinary Home Fridge why thou? As they are Smaller it should be cheaper to buy? And replace . I hope Griff gets better with his Spring  Cold and the New Fridge up and running with a hitch? 

I was sorry when gas fridges became unuseable. I always found them to be super efficient. Use on mains when on home mooring., move to 12v when cruising and use on gas when moored out on the river. No worry about flattening  the battery when  moored out and about on a  on a very hot day. a ltitle residual warmth in the galley on a chilly morning. I really missed ours when we wnet otolectric only.

Carole

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi I can remember the Old Days of having a Fridge Ice box where you have to exchange the block at a Boat Yard big chest Freezer for New Frozen One  then Gas Fridges came along now Electric Fridges not house hold size  and expensive as to ordinary Home Fridge why thou? As they are Smaller it should be cheaper to buy? And replace . I hope Griff gets better with his Spring  Cold and the New Fridge up and running with a hitch? 

I think it’s down to mass production. If you profit say £10 from every unit sold and you sell 1000000 compared to only selling 1000.

Now it was the turn of the fridge, on opening up the packing it indeed was a fridge and not a mini bar that was a relief.   With this one being 240v I first had to install a surface mounted socket box then plug the fridge in and into the hole screwing down the securing plate, jobs a gudden

Griff

BA NBN 965.jpg

• Like 1

Only then it dawned on me that the only way to turn off the fridge was via the thermostat control inside the fridge.  The fridge isolator switch was wired up for the previous 12v fridge via the two red 12v cables in the previous photo to the right.  Hmmm.

Take the damn fridge out again, nip off to Hoveton and Roys DIY for some 3 x core cable and a junction box.

Remove / tidy up the 12v cables then get set to with the 240v stuff.  Fortunately on opening up the isolator switch it stated 250v max 10amp so I could still use it.  I wanted to double insulate the two single cables from the junction box going up to the switch and back so opened up a length of the outer sheathing then wrapped with insulation tape, it should have been brown but didn't have any so red would have to do

Griff

BA NBN 966.jpg

BA NBN 967.jpg

BA NBN 968.jpg

• Like 3

I so nearly thought I would be going home on the Sunday.  I was feeling proper rough Saturday night but on Sunday morning apart from a slight headache was feeling much better so stayed over till the Monday.  Managed a full interior clean, sorted out some stuff in t locker, took some dinghy gear home and a few lengths of hardwood needed for the same.  Robin donated a rather posh anchor for the dinghy too

Griff

BA NBN 973.jpg

• Like 4

good work Griff

think we passed you on the A1 about 6pm as we were heading home ourselves after a weekend on the boat - I said to the misses; you know that guy from donny I told you about from the NBN forum ...... think that's his van!!!!

small world :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

You could well have done.  I was definitely on the A1 heading north between Newark and the Blyth turn off..

Which just about where I got a speeding ticket last month 😠 £100 and 3 points on licence, on the plus side even I can get more points than Liverpool 😄..

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sorry to hear that.  Was it the fixed camera or a sneaky mobile van one?

Griff

Fixed....only my second speeding ticket in 45yrs driving, I need to shut the misses up when I'm driving so I can concentrate 🙃 

5 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

Fixed....only my second speeding ticket in 45yrs driving, I need to shut the misses up when I'm driving so I can concentrate 🙃 

I got 'done' a few years ago cominng out of Beccles on my way home from the boat.  It was a mobile trap, hiding in the trees.  Don't now how he could see me because I could not see him until we passed!  First one in over 40 years of driving.  5 mph over the limit.  I took a speed awareness course to save tne points.

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You didn't get the option of a speed awareness course then? Saves on the points, I've done a couple.... :default_blush:

I'm past the point of sitting in a classroom whilst someone patronises me.

1 minute ago, Jemaki said:

Some of the course I went to was quite interesting but the free tea and coffee suplied was better.  The two

guys that lead the course were ex 'old bill' and did not seem to take it too seriously to be honest.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

My last speeding ticket was on the A140 at Stoneham Parva going to the broads. Didn't see the van hidden away on the verge, but saw the window in it's rear doors via my mirror, when the camera flashed. Sneaky !!

I opted for the speed awareness course, as it avoids points and the cost is about the same as the fine would have been. It was taken by 2 retired police officers, who explained that getting caught speeding can happen to us all and that they weren't there to judge but to help to comply with the highway code in future. It was very much  2 way discussion with the group plus some fairly horrendous films and statistics and not in the least bit patronising. So don't worry about that option in the future.

• Like 3

I found them more interesting than patronising and even re-learned a few things, but don't ask how fast I rode home afterwards...

Don't get caught too keen on traffic lights though, that course made no sense and was a total waste of a morning, all psychobabble claptrap.

2 hours ago, PaulN said:

plus some fairly horrendous films

I've got my wedding video to watch...every time I see it I scream "Nooooo....dont go in the church"...

By coincidence I just rang my brother in Gunchester and he was just about to start a speed awareness course....via zoom!....lasts 2.5hrs...hmm...Worth thinking about.