Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

Spot the difference?  The second photo shows the original motor / pump out of the box with both ends removed and after hours cleaning.  The first photo is the replacement unit received from Vetus.   I went ballistic when it arrived, ages and many phone calls with French Marine at Rackheath - who bent over backwards and were very helpful I will say.  The issue was with those ****wits down at the Southampton branch who supplied the replacement new unit.  Apparently the original unit - is now well out of date and no longer available.  So in their wisdom they sent me the upgraded one you see.  The problem was there was no instruction / explanation / phone call.  Neither had they informed Rackheath who assumed I was getting a direct replacement as originally stated by Southampton.  It's taken ages to sort it out.  The upshot is that Southampton have stated categorically that the later unit will fit directly to the Porcelain vetus unit no problem at all (Oh really? - they said that went they sent us a replacement water pump)  of course there is a 'BUT' This unit requires a s/steel bracket to utilise to keep it off the deck and not hanging on the pipes.  They do not manufacture any bracket of any sorts to fit our porcelain ware so I have to come up with some system using tie-wraps they have said and that a man of my reputation will sort it no problem - Am I some sort of sh1t house engineer then?

This is proper worrying as I can't get onboard 'B.A' til Tuesday evening at the earliest and we have to be in GYA Wednesday afternoon latest with six chaps onboard.  So I have just GOT to get it installed and functioning first time with no hope of any boatyards being open when I arrive onboard.  If I don't succeed it will be a showstopper - that just ain't gonna happen at all ever

GriffBA NBN 251.JPGBA_NBN_250.JPG

Charlie, I can give you a hand when I get there tuesday - do you want me to bring some meccano so a bracket can be fabricated as needed. (or to at least support the cable ties?)

do you think they upgraded the unit as there was a design flaw in the original?

Well at least the MTB might have something to fire out of it's torpedo tubes if you don't get it working:hardhat:

I do believe the head on my boat may be out of order Wednesday night until Thursday afternoon as well:party: I don't fancy your 6 and my 3-4 fighting for one head:facepalm:

Don't you love it when they "improve" things for us. You will have it licked (that doesn't sound right) I'm sure Griff.

Meccano might come in useful thinking on.  The later design unit does look more user friendly, at least the motor is outside not in a box probably getting too hot and not surrounded by 'Admiral Browns'

It will be somewhat difficult to give me a hand (But thanks for the offer) there ain't much room in 'B.A's head compartment

Griff

I will bring some useful bits and a tin of bolts, probably contemporary with BA too, I have a pile of bits that have either been too bent to use, or something wrong with them, so cant be used for model making, but excellent to be used for fixing stuff like the rotovator clutch handle.

No, I suddenly remembered when I had a camper van we had a stand alone casette toilet, its at my mother in laws (i think) and I have to go and check it is still in good nick before being able to offer it as a viable alternative if the repairs take longer than supposed, if not needed it can stay in the car,  but in the mean time I cannot check its still functioning until 1pm when the MIL gets back home. at least it is a bit better than the 5litre bucket types I saw in the range this morning.

• Like 1

well I am back, the camping toilet was there and works, there is a slight leak in the bellows pump to pump cold water in, but at least we have an alternative now, it only has about a 15 litre waste tank, but its better than a bucket. This at least takes a bit of pressure off Griff, and when his fix works we can leave this in the car. :-)

IMG_3793.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The new replacement macerator / Pump is now installed and working just fine and dandy.  Only had two adaptions to make - a hanging system to support the unit off the floor - Tie wraps have done this nicely, no need to make any further adjustments there.  The outlet pipe was a smaller diameter, some self amalgamating tape took up the slack so that's sorted too.  I can now confirm 'B.A's heads fully operational once again

Griff

Grendel gave 'B.A' a gift last week whilst onboard.  He has obviously made this himself and it would have taken him a fair few hours.  As a crew we are proper chuffed with it and I felt guilty about accepting such a fine gift on her behalf - We're not worthy!  Only thing is just where do we display it?  It's far too nice to be used as a rug, besides the white wool will soon get dirty if we did so.  I'll have to have a look see and try and find an area on a bulkhead to hang it

Griff

BA NBN 254.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

'B.A's Bi-annual TLC time is approaching us fast once more.  This is a mad ten days where 'B.A' is out of the water under cover, we then commence 18+ Hr days of going bonkers on essential maintenance and as many items on our upgrade list (Wish list) as money / time allows.  We are doing the AMP (Assisted Maintenance Period) in February 2017 at Southgates in Horning.  In the past this has been done without issue at local yards who have allowed those working on 'B.A' to stay onboard during the works.  However this coming AMP has hit a snag.  We are unable to stay on-board 'B.A' during the period which is understandable but it causes us a sudden need to find some accommodation for myself and at times up to a max of 5 others.  I have been in touch with a few hire yards, Some is a flat 'No' due to their craft being winterisesd, some have said yes but the boats are not suitable, another well known and friendly NBN yard is leaning over backwards to find us something suitable.  Fellow berth holders in the wet-shed have also been very generous with offers.  However nothing 'Bang on the money' as of yet although from the previously mentioned above we could cobble something suitable together.  So . . . . . do you have a suitable craft we could berth outside Southgates for ten days? 03 - 13th Feb.  I know it is a cheeky request but one never gets if one never asks.  We don't need any bedding as we would supply our own, don't need to use the onboard shower, would spotlessly clean the boat on completion etc.  all we need is the boat to be dry / warm with a cooker.    I know I cannot hire any craft privately owned, but a suitable 'Gift' for said boat would be offered.

Tks,

Griff

• Like 1

Just a thought I have looked on line and there plenty of bed and breakfasts in and around Horning , sometimes off season b&bs will open there doors to work parties , often giving a reduced rate as they do not have to change the beds every day  or clean the rooms . the great thing is you would have all the facilities you require . You never no if you spoke nicely to them they may even assist you a packed lunch if you were not taking breakfast or if you were getting in late at night they may do you some food , who knows what they would do remember it is off season and these places are not making much money , so it would be worth ringing round and asking if you don't ask you don't get . I know you work threw the day there for it is very difficult for you to get the time to do that I have plenty of time and have free calls so if you wont some help I would be happy to phone around see what kind of deal I could get for you ...

• Like 3