I want that time machine ... now!

AdnamsGirl

Oh, I so want that time machine. Browsing the latest Norfolk Broads uploads to YouTube this evening, I spotted that Nigel has uploaded some fantastic old cine footage of the Norfolk Broads for the Ludham Community Archive Group. Early 1960s ... got to be pre 1965 as the Ferry Inn at Horning still had its thatch. Mid summer ... it was sooooo busy !!! All those gorgeous wooden cruisers ... :grin:

Carol

• Like 5

I feel exactly the same way about that time machine as well Carol. :)

Not just the Broads, but boating in general seems to have evolved downhill in many respects.

I remember being totally bessotted with it from the age of about 7, back in the 1950's.  Gazing into William Osborne's and David Hillyard's boatsheds at Littlehampton, Cowes Week in the 1960's, and Salcombe in Devon, before it became a "Yellow Welly" land.

Almost all of the chandlers have now dissapeared from those places, replaced by marine boutiques and coffee shops.

Boating used to be full of people who enjoyed just doing it, rather than posing in much more expensive and elaborate craft.

Boating used to be full of people who enjoyed just doing it, rather than posing in much more expensive and elaborate craft.

Not so sure about this ........

Boating used to be the passtime of the rich ..... they were the only ones who could afford the time & money on boats

Plus ....... when the odd regatta presented itself they could hire hands to handle the nasty sheets.

That said the old woodies do look like proper boats.

Not so sure about this ........

Boating used to be the passtime of the rich ..... they were the only ones who could afford the time & money on boats

Plus ....... when the odd regatta presented itself they could hire hands to handle the nasty sheets.

That said the old woodies do look like proper boats.

There were plenty of ordinary "man in the street" boaters as well.

All of my old haunts are now filled with expensive pontoon marinas, but they used to only have affordable swinging and drying moorings, full of smaller craft, with their owners DIY maintaining them, squelching about in seaboots.

The Earls Court boat shows catered for everyone, and most of the boats were far more affordable, many being kits or self-completion.

The Broads has undergone the same "upmarket" process.  Blakes and Hoseasons catalogues used to have a wide range of 20 footish cruisers, even two berth, and the 40ft cruisers were much fewer proportionally.

post-195-0-56552800-1428749153_thumb.jpg

My recollection of the 60s is that any private boat was owned by somebody rather wealthy, something to aspire to.

In the busy years of the 70s privates were either small or still owned by the wealthy.

By the 80s the balance was changing. slightly fewer hire craft and slightly more privates owned by more of a cross section of society.

Well, anyway, that's my take on it :)

• Like 3

This topic posted by Carol (thanks to Nigel) was glimpse of the heyday of the Broads with people enjoying themselves. In the late 50's early 60's many people were still being rehoused in temporary housing (prefabs many still around up to a few years ago) no wonder many people took to the Broads or the seaside. The only credit schemes around at that time were cheque schemes in Sheffield there was Paget's cheques that many shops dealt with, I can remember the Paget man coming to my Nan's house every week for his payment (it was the same with the Prudential, the man from the Pru).

People saved up for holidays and if they could not save they just had a few day trips at best.

Boating of any kind has always been expensive be it hiring or buying a boat, of course there were kits or you could just buy the plans to make a boat,, but buying a boat to just use was a rich mans hobby.

I am glad that is not so much the case these days, cheaper small boats and people that have the ability to improve their craft, there is of course boat sharing that has allowed many people who could not afford to come to the Broads on a regular basis. Boat sharing is not always run in syndicates in many cases it is like minded friends just to share the costs of renovation and operating costs. 

I agree there is far to many boats not used sitting in marinas all over the country, but there are far to many things that keep us away from the pastimes we love, be it boating or other hobbies.

Is boating any different these days, in some ways yes, but overall we are still drawn to the water and hopefully the snobbery it gradually being phased out.

Salcombe is a great place to visit in Devon, we have visited here most years whilst in the area, but it has always been run with old money and air of upturned noses to the common man. The shops there have had to adjust to the clientele that now frequent the town or go under, coffee shops as part of general stores, bistros etc. are all part of survival to these small towns and villages,.There are still plenty of chandlers, big and small boat building lockups  that you pass from the large car park near the medical centre on the walk through the main shopping area. 

My favourite shops are the bakers for their cheese straws and the sweet shop opposite, the other shop I loved to go in was just past the small car park, they sold a few antiques and trinkets and had a large telescope on a tripod in the back room  which was good for looking over the estuary.

Boating different views for different people but all hopefully a love for the water and the environment.

Regards

Alan    

• Like 3

More goodies from the Ludham Archive Group on YouTube. I was fortunate to see this one a whle ago and it is an amazing film - looks to have been shot on 16mm and shows turnaround day at Southgates boatyard in Horning during the 1970s. A bit sad as it finishes with the deserted boatyard having been shutdown and abandoned. Despite many enquiries, Nigel couldn't find the origin of this film or the cine-photographer responisble ... so glad he has decided to put it out though as it is a wonderful record of Broadland boatyards of that era. :clap

Carol

• Like 3

More goodies from the Ludham Archive Group on YouTube. I was fortunate to see this one a whle ago and it is an amazing film - looks to have been shot on 16mm and shows turnaround day at Southgates boatyard in Horning during the 1970s. A bit sad as it finishes with the deserted boatyard having been shutdown and abandoned. Despite many enquiries, Nigel couldn't find the origin of this film or the cine-photographer responisble ... so glad he has decided to put it out though as it is a wonderful record of Broadland boatyards of that era. :clap

Carol

Hi Carol, long time lurker and first post. I worked at Southgates as my first Saturday Summer job and started to watch this purely out of interest. As it progressed it quickly dawned on me that I remembered this particular Saturday which was either in 1975 or 76, probably the latter. I have no recollection who the guy was who filmed the day or for what reason but remember we were all briefed to carry on our jobs as normal although one or two of the scenes appear to be quite staged.

I can't believe that this was nearly 40 years ago and had virtually forgotten this era until seeing this film for the first time yesterday. There were some real characters at the yard ranging from the older traditional boatbuilders to the younger engineers dressed in their finest flared jeans! Happy days and some great memories brought back. I can vaguely remember some of the names of the people that worked there so let me know if you need any more info...

• Like 3

Carol, thanks for posting the links to the Ludham Archive Website. I am glad to hear that you are all enjoying the videos which can also be found on our You Tube Channel.

I am sure that many of you will know that I write the Ludham Archive Website and I have just given it a bit of a makeover with lots of new things about the village being added all the time.

One thing which has been exercising our minds lately is how to better share our collection of videos. We have got a lot of video and we do want to be able to share it as much as possible. We already produce a DVD of Ludham memories called Village Chatter and we are looking at the possibility of producing another as we have got loads of memories. The trouble is that they need very careful editing and this is quite a big job. We do have quite a lot of other videos of Ludham interest and I have started adding these to our video page at www.ludhamarchive.org.uk This process will continue for some time, so do keep looking in.

Turning to the Southgates film, this one has been a bit of a problem to us. We have had a copy of it for years but we don't know who made it or owns it. You may recall that I did a post about this on here some time ago but nobody was able to help. All lines of enquiry since that time have also drawn a blank although we are still trying. If any of you know anything about the owner of this film I would like to hear from you. So I have decided the best way is to put the film out there and see if anybody claims it. I suspect there is not a problem with copyright but I would still like to know.

I am sure you will realise that Southgates was not actually in Ludham but over the border in Horning. However, Horning does not have a local history group and so at the Ludham Archive we collect Horning things as well. If a group does start in Horning then there is something for us to pass on. We have just provided some pictures for a display at the Horning Boat Show. This display is about St Benet's Abbey which is actually in Horning although it appears on the ground to be in Ludham. In reality, both Horning and Ludham were manors associated with and controlled by the Abbey.

The other film Carol has posted covers a holiday on the Broads but it has particular Ludham significance as it contains the only film I know of the Fairy Garden. I do know who the people are in the film but they have asked me to post it without any attribution. I think it is a good film showing what a Broads holiday was like in the early 60s.

At the Ludham Archive we are not trying to make a comparison between past and present attitudes to Broads holidays. We just show you what it was actually like.

There is more video to come (well actually, a lot more) so keep looking in.

Best wishes

Nigel

Ludham Community Archive Group

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Carol, long time lurker and first post. I worked at Southgates as my first Saturday Summer job and started to watch this purely out of interest. As it progressed it quickly dawned on me that I remembered this particular Saturday which was either in 1975 or 76, probably the latter. I have no recollection who the guy was who filmed the day or for what reason but remember we were all briefed to carry on our jobs as normal although one or two of the scenes appear to be quite staged.

I can't believe that this was nearly 40 years ago and had virtually forgotten this era until seeing this film for the first time yesterday. There were some real characters at the yard ranging from the older traditional boatbuilders to the younger engineers dressed in their finest flared jeans! Happy days and some great memories brought back. I can vaguely remember some of the names of the people that worked there so let me know if you need any more info...

Wow ... not quite sure how I missed this, but a belated welcome and thank you for the information. Wonderful to find someone who remembers it being filmed. If you ever fancy writing down some of your memories of working at Southgates for Broadland Memories then I would be really pleased to add them to the the website. I've lots of great memories of holidays, but would love to have some boatyard tales too!

Always happy to receive any personal memories and stories of living, working or holidaying in Broadland for the archive! :)

Carol

• Like 2

Wow ... not quite sure how I missed this, but a belated welcome and thank you for the information. Wonderful to find someone who remembers it being filmed. If you ever fancy writing down some of your memories of working at Southgates for Broadland Memories then I would be really pleased to add them to the the website. I've lots of great memories of holidays, but would love to have some boatyard tales too!

Always happy to receive any personal memories and stories of living, working or holidaying in Broadland for the archive! :)

Carol

To be fair this was a Saturday job when I was 13 years old for one season earning the princely sum of £2.50 working from 8 til around 2pm. The best part I recollect was taking the mid-morning orders of varoius cakes, sweets and cigarettes then jumping into their old tow boat, Annie :Stinky, and crossing to the village to load up with goodies for the engineers.

A few years on and I worked at Porter & Haylett at the very start of the Connoisseur era before moving out in 1983 to France and setting up their first operation in Auxerre. I moved back to the UK 10 years later and since work in a totally different sector, although I've recently moved back to Norfolk. Strangely enough I can still recollect many of the build numbers/registrations of the boats despite them reaching around 260 before I left :ugeek:

• Like 4

Further update on the Southgates film. It was shot by Dennis Peart. Dennis died about 5 years ago. He was from Ireland and came to The Broads for 70 years. He was a keen film maker so there might be more. I am investigating.

The engineer in the film was Fred Burge who still lives locally and it also features Reg Reeve who dates the film to about 1974.

I will post more information if I can get it.

Nigel

Ludham Community Archive Group

• Like 3

So pleased that you have finally been able to find something out about the film Nigel, wonderful to put a name to the film maker.

Griff500 - I'm guessing that you probably recognise some of the faces in the photo below which shows some of the Porter & Haylett boat fitters c1983. One of a collection of photos which were kindly sent to me for the Broadland Memories website by Iain Gray.

post-143-0-51555100-1432902642_thumb.jpg

Carol

Carol :wave - this photo would have been taken on board one of the last Grampian 37 yachts that P&H were building before switching to full time Connoisseur production. I recognise 5 of the faces but can only put names to two of them and one Christian name. Attached with names:

post-33098-0-89558600-1432904392_thumb.j

Let me know if you want any more info about the yard or boats during this era and I'll gladly trawl my memory :smile:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 29/05/2015 at 14:07, Griff500 said:

Carol :wave - this photo would have been taken on board one of the last Grampian 37 yachts that P&H were building before switching to full time Connoisseur production. I recognise 5 of the faces but can only put names to two of them and one Christian name. Attached with names:

post-33098-0-89558600-1432904392_thumb.j

Let me know if you want any more info about the yard or boats during this era and I'll gladly trawl my memory :smile:

Peter Dennis 2nd from left at the back, last known he was working at Richardsons in there development shop.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I love the pictures of the builders of the Grampian 37...especially as I now own a Grampian 37 which I have brought back to Lowestoft. Different layout and I think one of the earlier builds c1980...she was built well has still got the same interior in "Green" who thought that was a good colour?...but very well made and has lasted. So well done guys in the picture you built a great boat...been re=engined with a Yanmar rather than the original Volvo. Original mast and boom I think .. not much has changed.

Would love to meet any of the builders or speak to them and compliments on the build they should be proud...Having owned a number of boats she is by far the best build quality.

The boat in the picture has an interesting difference to mine as it has a bulkhead between the galley and saloon...and the chart table and saloon...why?...would love to anyone who was involved in the Grampian 37 build and find out more about her build and history...I bought her without knowing her history only knowing she was built in Wroxham!

Yes, very interesting and bringing back  memories.  I was involved with these fine craft, 13 I believe were built. The green I take it that you are referring to is the upholstery which was a deep cordroy,  this style was then used in the early Connoisseur's  which was a bright orange !! . I delivered many of these from wroxham to great yarmouth to have the mast stepped prior to being handed over to the customer.  This voyage involved firstly a gang of men from the boatyard carrying the mast down the lane to the main road , then over wroxham bridge to the granary statue, then laided  the full length on top of the boat ready for me to take it down river, as it was a wheel type helm I was able to sit astride the mast and steer it with my feet. I cant remember the draft but the main obstacle was to avoid a shallow bit of water opposite what was the  the Smith's crisp factory at yarmouth, then being able to trainist the bridges and then turning to port at the bottom of the Bure and then getting under haven bridge . Once this was duly completed the next stage was to moor up beside the dockside cranes that were on rail tracks , unbelievably now this was all single handed !!  What days they were !     So it's in lowestoft now , quite near where it was built , I'll look out for it when passing though lake lothing,  it would be nice o see one again.  Regards 

• Like 1

On 28/05/2015 at 18:05, Griff500 said:

To be fair this was a Saturday job when I was 13 years old for one season earning the princely sum of £2.50 working from 8 til around 2pm. The best part I recollect was taking the mid-morning orders of varoius cakes, sweets and cigarettes then jumping into their old tow boat, Annie :Stinky, and crossing to the village to load up with goodies for the engineers.

I too worked at Southgate main yard in 1974, my main job was cleaning windows with Mr Sheen.  I also remember collecting the pots and pans and taking them into the shed where they were dipped in a special tank to clean them before being returned to the boat.

• Like 1