2 weeks on Suncharm

Stranger

here we go leave Sheffield at 5am farm shop for breakfast at 7am after a major diversion as the A1 was closed to Newark arrived at richardsons at 11 am after the shops gggggrrrrrrr lol got the boat at 2pm after all the faULTS WERE OOOPS NEARLY ALL THE FAULTS WERE PUT RIGHT bliddy caps key our friends on Majorca whent for their trial run then we both got mobile going to Acle Bridge Inn   excelent meal freezing night temp in boat at 4.30 am was 6.5 deg started engine to get heating on at 5.45sorry peeps lol all 2 radiatord got hot and the noise from the webasto was intrusive to  say the least but not time to cook breakfast  caatch you all later   btw saw Robin  London Rscle on the Ant all wired up with the cameras again lol  bbfn

• Like 8

Hi Dave,

We fell foul of the A1 closure, it did not help that there was not a sign before the roundabout on we could have just gone around it and headed towards Ollerton.], instead it was a case of going over the bridge around the roundabout and then there were then signs showing the A1 was closed. The diversion with its hold  ups added about 45 minutes onto the journey.

We arrived at Brundall just before 2.00pm. Now on the boat having a well earned glass of wine, the boat is being thrown around must as it was in late February, looks like much sleep tonight.

The Bistro above the Tingdene Marina Reception must have been bursting at the seams, the car park was full.

We met up with our fellow owners who were leaving the boat early, we were due for changeover on Tuesday.

Looking forward to the next 10 days.

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

We might bump into you Dave, (well not actually into your boat) if you are in the North somewhere next week. We are staying in the North all week, heading for Coltishall on the first day (Friday) if we can get through Wroxham bridge before the pilot finishes for the day. If so, we will moor up at Wroxham.

Hi Geoff,

The pilot at Wroxham Bridge stops at 5.30pm from memory.

cheers Iain

Thank's for that Iain, it all depends on what time we get away from Stalham. We are hoping to be at the yard before 12pm, so if the boat is ready and we get the third degree done with by 2pm, we might just make the pilot in time to get through the bridge, so we can moor up on the far side, ready for an early start up to Coltishall.

Hi Geoff & Wendy

What boat are you hiring on Friday? Low water at Wroxham that day is at 19:22, this should be okay as long as you air draft isn't too high. First time I was on the broads, our boat was 6'10" and the pilot couldn't take us under until the morning as the water was too high. I know you have planned you holiday meticulously, but it might be worth having a chat to the Pilot, he is very very helpful, especially if you get Dave.

I might spot you at Richardsons on Friday, as we are hiring Broads Harmony, look forward to wishing you a great first time.

Simon

• Like 3

disruption to the system  called wind  and cold after a freezing night at Acle we decided to go up to lathams to stock up with 15tog quilts and pillows after an **** of a performance to turn round from the pilots moorings we go to thurne dyke and have sunday lunch at the Lion Inn another good meal then the wind got worse boats trying to drive through us as go round so we decide to overnight on thurne dyke.

Next morning is dry and brightso we set off for Acle to top up with water at Horizon Craft and have a plod down to Yarmouth to the Yacht station for April to swap boats and Mark to come on ours for crossing braydon as they are newbies to the broads and all went well moored at Reedham and swapped backover to eachothers own boats to go to Loddon great rip down the Chet having been well dredged and managed to moor at the stathe side by side quick wash and over to Rosey Lees for crab salads mmmmmmmmm followed by apple pie and clotted cream   back to the boats and the fridge ie suncharm took forever to slightly warm up but the 15tog  quilts worked better well till3am for me then up and heating on for a laff ggggggrrrrrr more to come

btw was the 2 tea bags and uht milk what we paid extra for as   nothing was better than Majorca that was with us

• Like 7

we are hoping to fill up with derv at Brooms Dave on our way back down river 

up early  again, sort the ship round, and get the dongle charged up the foot is playing up this morning so a raid on the pain killers and it eventually helps .Now a short trek over to Rosey Lees only me this time or a breaky excellent again manage eventually to leave the cafe then have to wait for the tree fellers chopping the rotten trees down bit by bit from a high reach cherry picker to get back to the boat . Its decided that we will go up to Norwich like a ghost river if we saw 6 boats on the water i may be exagerating mtc

• Like 2

Hi Geoff & Wendy

What boat are you hiring on Friday? Low water at Wroxham that day is at 19:22, this should be okay as long as you air draft isn't too high. First time I was on the broads, our boat was 6'10" and the pilot couldn't take us under until the morning as the water was too high. I know you have planned you holiday meticulously, but it might be worth having a chat to the Pilot, he is very very helpful, especially if you get Dave.

I might spot you at Richardsons on Friday, as we are hiring Broads Harmony, look forward to wishing you a great first time.

Simon

Hi Simon, we have hired Star Gem 6, we are hoping to get to Richardson's just before 12pm and hopefully get an early start, after the trial run and boat hand over. We booked this holiday through Hoeseasons and on the booking invoice it states 4pm before we can pick up the boat. But from what I have read on the forums, Richardson's state 12pm, so we will be there by then.

Look forward to seeing you, but no doubt you will get away before we do, as you won't need the trial run. Acording to the brochure the air draft for Star Gem is 6' 9" so there should be no problem with the bridge at Wroxham, we will contact the pilot on the way down, to see what he say's. We have no plans to go under Potter, during our holiday or any further south than Stracey Arms.

• Like 1

Geoff

Richardsons are great, last September we hired through Hoseasons and were told the same.

We always like to get there early, we are on holiday and would rather be waiting around in Norfolk than hanging around at home so were at Stalham by 12 .

I popped into Reception just to say we were there and could we park up until the boat was ready but they got on the radio to check and it was ready to go so we got straight on, didn't need a trial run having been boating since the early 80s so we got off before the rush and got a great mooring at Ludham Bridge

So I'm sure you'll get away in good time

• Like 3

Hi Geoff and Wendy

We hope to get to Richardsons by 1pm, so we may be leaving the yard around the same time, I will certainly look out for Star Gem 6. We booked with Hoseasons the first time we went, and got away by 2 with a trial run. The only time I've ever been under Potter Heigham bridge was when I was 11, I don't even bother anymore. The weather looks very nice for the coming week, just the right weather for canopy back. We are going down to Stokesby the first night, then going south for a few days, will be back north by Wednesday lunchtime. If I don't see you, have a wonderful first time, although just be prepared to be fully addicted.

• Like 2

STOP THE PRESS WHAT A BLOODY DAY WE HAVE HAD.up early and better as the night temp was up a little made use of the free  showers at Norwich Yacht Station at £12 they want to be lol we decide to call at Brooms to fill with Derv at £1.07 per litre still took £67 worth of fuel for 4 1/2 days cruising not good now the bad bit as Mark and Jean were waiting to get to the fueling point a huge gust of wind god knows where from got hold of their boat and sent them towards a lot of  moored  sea going boats with evil looking sea  ancors exposed on the bow of this paticular boat and Mark was on the front edge of their boat ready for mooring when this gust  took them towards the boat with the exposed anchor and trapped him by the right hand to their roof rail and sliced through his two middle fingers to which he shouted Help loudly which got a responce from a Broom crew member jumped aboard their boat got Mark safe and took the boat to a safe mooring down the side of where Bfrooms Pumsa are moored the boat while i got a first aider from Brooms to attend him who sent for an ambulance to take him to hospital 30 mins later a paramedic arrived dressed the wound and took him and Jean to the hospitalthis was at 1300 hrs they arrived back at the boat a20.00 hrs  after being told to return Thurs Lunch time for an operation to try and save his finger btw   they diddnt have a sling to put his arm in  DISGUSTING we had one in a first aid kit which he is now wearing so we will see what tomorrow brings the Hosey said he shouldent continue on the boat what a Bugger so will keep you informed

and it goes without realy saying but NEWCOMMERS TO THE BROADS DO NOT FEND OFF BOATS OR OTHER OBSTRUCTIONS WITH YOUR HANDS OR ANY OTHER PART OF YOUR BODY!!! AS 10 TO 12 TONS OF BOAT WILL ALWAYS WIN 

Mark is back on the boat while morning after a £18 taxi fare from Norwich and Norfolk Hossey looking peaky but in high spirits Richardsons have arranged to pick them up after his operation and take them back to the boatyard as well as unloading the boat at Brooms so they can get off home without any more hassle very kind of them to say the least i will keep you informed laters 

• Like 5

sorry no pictures yet but we will post them when we get home

oh and btw we decided to go to Rockland Staithe and the New Inn for tea very good again bit  pricey tho but good food is worth it and was told they had had 3 fire engines 2 ambulances and 2 police cars attend the Staithe after a grandfather grandmother and 2 grand kids in a rowing boat had hit an underwater obstruction and holed the boat on Rockland Broad but all was well as they were rescued all ok by the emergency services