Our 2015 days afloat

Not a blog as such just an update.

Went up to spend the weekend on Lady P and do a little more work trying to find the cause of the white smoke / steam coming from the exhaust. Turns out we have both head gaskets weeping and both blocks cracked on our Volvo Penta md11c. If anyone has one of the old engines laying around or knows of one please let us know

cheers

Steve, Hi.

Have you tried PM'ing Andy at FreedomBoatingHols or Jon at 650xs? They get about a bit and probably can help you.

• Like 1

It's a massive shame Steve.. You know we are both really gutted for you both.. All because at some point in the boats life someone didn't winterise it correctly/in time..

Stay positive mate.. It will go back together and will be a new engine then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on Lady Patricia

both cylinders have been removed and we are going to try and braze the cast iron cylinder blocks that are cracked. Several people have advised that this should work if the job is done correctly so fingers crossed. 

Deb and I are taking a break in the Kings Lynn area so today we decided to go get our broads fix. Hired a day boat for a few hours and ventured under 'that' bridge. 

What a fantastic part of the broads it is. Neither of us had been through potter before so everything was new. I really can't wait to get Lady P up and running again and take her up to Hickling and Horsey :)

we had lunch at the pleasure boat, what a lovely setting that is  

cheers

steve & Deb

• Like 4

Update on Lady Patricia

both cylinders have been removed and we are going to try and braze the cast iron cylinder blocks that are cracked. Several people have advised that this should work if the job is done correctly so fingers crossed. 

Deb and I are taking a break in the Kings Lynn area so today we decided to go get our broads fix. Hired a day boat for a few hours and ventured under 'that' bridge. 

What a fantastic part of the broads it is. Neither of us had been through potter before so everything was new. I really can't wait to get Lady P up and running again and take her up to Hickling and Horsey :)

cheers

steve & Deb

Awe Steve, you are 16 days too early at Kings Lynn. We are stopping at West Lynn on Friday the 9th overnight at the Premier Inn. Would have been good to meet up.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

Update on Lady Patricia

cheers

steve & Deb

Hi Steve, 

What happened to the company that had some blocks?

As you say brazing can be done correctly but in many cases there can be distortion of the blocks because of the heat, the result of this can be that cylinder head gaskets tend to leak.

If you have an option of who does the brazing take it to a good engineering company that can skim the blocks if they need it.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan (RB), Peter at Northgate marine is doing the whole job on the blocks, hopefully he has a good reputable company he uses. The blocks down in Dorset didn't materialise and the 'gentleman' I was dealing with down there told me many 'stories' over the phone. Every conversation was full of contradictions to details in previous conversations.

ian, it would have been great to meet up, can't wait to have a go on scoot ;)

Alan (jaws) as you know mate we really hope this works. Get this done then everything back together and cross everything when she is fired up :bow

We may also have found a nice mooring the other side of 'that' bridge

cheers

Steve

Edited by LadyPatricia
  • Like 1

Positive thinking Steve. 

I don't blame you for looking the otherside of that bridge is a stunning spot if Orca was a better design we wouldn't hesitate in moving up there. You will have lots of lovely weekends up there. Shame we can't join you but hopefully we will end up just around the corner (by road anyway - Fingers crossed).

• 2 months later...

Just a very quick update

our faulty cylinder jackets are currently with Janet Anne who has her humans checking to see if they can be repaired. A big box of chocolates are on order should JA manage this :D

Ive also manage to locate and secure 2 more jackets should the repair not be possible. It will be good to have spares for the future. Also acquired an exhaust manifold for our md11c engine, all 3 parts for a very good price. 

Things are going in the right direction so at this moment I'm a very happy man :teddy:

cheers

Steve

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

So this blog ends with our engine back together but not well at all.

Going through some paperwork that we got with the boat it appears that the diesel fuel pump was adjusted when Lady P was put in for an oil leak and running issues. now that the valves have been replaced and completely new cylinder blocks fitted she is very hard to start and blows out copious amounts of white smoke/unburnt fuel.

next job is to get the fuel pump checked and re timed, hopefully that will work

I will start a 2016 blog when we have an update :unsure: