Our 2015 days afloat

Alan (RB) that is exactly what I thought but when the I checked the receipt for parts and the impeller box the two matched up. The one in the box, that is now in the engine, looked older than the one I removed so I can't really put this on the guy who did the service.

Two people have said that because our engine is raw water cooled then any blockage like a bag floating by and being pulled over the inlet by the suction could cause this. Problem is once the impeller goes and suction is lost then the bag or debris float away and it looks like the impeller has gone for no reason.

That's what I was advised anyway, it could be totally wrong but I'm sure someone on here will know for certain ;)

cheers

Steve

Alan (RB) that is exactly what I thought but when the I checked the receipt for parts and the impeller box the two matched up. The one in the box, that is now in the engine, looked older than the one I removed so I can't really put this on the guy who did the service.

Two people have said that because our engine is raw water cooled then any blockage like a bag floating by and being pulled over the inlet by the suction could cause this. Problem is once the impeller goes and suction is lost then the bag or debris float away and it looks like the impeller has gone for no reason.

That's what I was advised anyway, it could be totally wrong but I'm sure someone on here will know for certain ;)

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you have a raw water filter (you should have) this filters out such items as plastic bags, twigs and small fish. Having a filter is yet another daily check but is worth the inconvenience before it can get to the pump and the engine.

We usually replace our each year for piece of mind, I have know many owners not change them until there is an issue.

I would have the pump checked out for wear on the bearings and that there is no wear on the cover plate that is snaging the impeller.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Steve, I second what Geoff said if it's old and it appears to have stuck before then its probably worth while putting a new one in (together with a new gasket), although it may have opened it may have opened later and you won't have noticed during your test (make sure the one you put in also has a pinhole in it too) also as Alan said get a replacement impeller as a spare (a branded Jabsco or volvo  one too not an ebay special ;) ) I think when I was being nosy a few weeks ago I noticed a grated inlet skin fitting so that should stop big chunks going up (and I doubt the pump has enough suction to make a bag stick against the flow of the water passing the hull - I maybe wrong, I know our pump is new and does bloody good!).. 

Iain I would have thought that the antifreeze/coolant would stop scaling due to hard water, although we are soft water here and I can happily sell some soft water to anyone for £2 a litre?! lol  :naughty:

cheers

• Like 5

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your holiday and workshop tales. The twice I have heard a boat engine go dead, is farmers rope round the prop! Grrrr. Thankfully, it was not that in your case. Hopefully you find the root of the nagging problem soon.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Steve

I've been following your progress but not commenting too much as I like to switch off when on holiday but I hope things aren't too costly to sort out.

It was a pleasure to meet you and Debs on Sunday / Monday (and good to see you today in passing) look forward to catching up again tomorrow and to meeting Alan & Dave and not forgetting Orca

We plan to leave Oulton at around 10 in the morning after a leisurely breakfast so hopefully Alan will be there by the time we get there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Next trip is planned for this weekend. Not sure how much cruising we will get done as the list of jobs that need doing is growing by the day. So far the list is:

1. Try fix fuel leak spotted by Dave and Alan (Jaws)

2. Run all cables and locate a good place to install our radio and speakers.

3. Play with voltmeter to try and get fuel sender to work.

4. For some reason we have 5 batteries on board. 2 for engine and 3 leisure. We want to change our isolator switches for one unit to control both sides and drop from 5 batteries down to 2. (Will not play with this myself, hopefully catch up with Alan and Dave for some advice).

5. Fit and cut new carpet for cabin.

After all this is done we will be allowed out to play ;)

cheers

• Like 2

Next trip is planned for this weekend. Not sure how much cruising we will get done as the list of jobs that need doing is growing by the day. So far the list is:

1. Try fix fuel leak spotted by Dave and Alan (Jaws)

2. Run all cables and locate a good place to install our radio and speakers.

3. Play with voltmeter to try and get fuel sender to work.

4. For some reason we have 5 batteries on board. 2 for engine and 3 leisure. We want to change our isolator switches for one unit to control both sides and drop from 5 batteries down to 2. (Will not play with this myself, hopefully catch up with Alan and Dave for some advice).

5. Fit and cut new carpet for cabin.

After all this is done we will be allowed out to play ;)

cheers

Hi Steve & Deb,

Where are you intending to fit your radio & speakers?

We fitted our radio into our upper helm control and our speakers just under where your knees go when sat at the helm.

I have got some pictures on my computer at home if you wish me to post them as an idea.

Regards

Alan

Going to have the head unit down in the cabin Alan as we will generally only be using it while chilled out in the evenings. 2 speakers (front) in cabin and 2 (rear) in aft cockpit area for those long hot summer evenings.

I thought I'd do it this way so we can turn off the outside speakers when we a sat below.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Sat 23rd May

Left home around 5:30 for the trip up to the boat. Had to make a detour via Bury St Edmonds to pick up some carpet for the boat.

Arrived at the marina around 9ish and after checking all was as should be we started fitting the carpet. After a lot of cutting and trimming and a few expletives the carpet was down and it doesn't look too bad even if I do say so myself ;)

Next job was to look at a small diesel leak. We had purchased a mixed pack of copper washers but Sod's law said none of them would fit. Looking at the existing washers they were slightly curved. I decided to turn them round and try that. All put back together and tightened we gave it a test and low and behold ..... no leak :)

Next was changing the thermostat. Old one out and new one in all seems ok but won't be out on river to test until tomorrow.

It was time for Deb to make one of her lovely cups of tea. Kettle filled, ring on cooker lit, kettle on ring and then the gas ran out :(. We put the empty bottle in the car and drove off to OB for a refill. Advised by the guy in Jeckells that they only do Calor and we couldn't get any Flogas until Tuesday as no local suppliers were open. I was a little dubious about this so went to check with Google, he was right. We had to bite the bullet and buy a new Calor bottle and regulator ....... That ended up being the most expensive cup of tea we've ever had.

Spent the rest of the day doing odd little jobs and then relaxed with a nice curry ordered from OB and delivered to the marina.

Off for a run down to WRC tomorrow, accompanied by Orca in case we have any problems. After that,time allowing, we will see if we can remove at least three of the five batteries we have onboard.

cheers

post-30525-0-30125000-1432449723_thumb.j

• Like 6

Brill afternoon and evening lol. Ive not drunken that much in ages! Bad influence although not enough as my head is fine! Nice to chat and erm follow behind in your wake (cough). Hope you got home ok. Catch you soon!

• Like 4

Sun 24th May

Woke early to a lovely sunny morning. Had breakfast and then we did a bit of tidying up in the cockpit. Alan and Dave ( Jaws ) arrived at the marina about 9:30 and once moored up popped over to Lady P. We had a chat for a few minutes and Dave was kind enough to check the fixes I did yesterday. After we had finished playing with the engine we decided it was time to test my handy work and take a run down the river.

I suggested a run to WRC but Alan instantly replied."nah, let's go to Beccles' so Beccles it was and a two hour run would be a good test for the engine.

We headed down the river being closely followed by Orca. As we approached the WRC Orca moored up for fuel and we carried on towards Beccles knowing that if we had any issues the guys on Orca wouldn't be far behind.

Our run to Beccles was trouble free, the only down side was having to moor in the rain.

Orca arrived a the YS about 20 minutes later and moored next to us. The YS was busier than I'd ever seen it before. It was decided we would walk to a hotel on the river for a beer. I can't remember the name but the wherry was good. We booked a table for the four of us for that evening and returned to the YS.

Relaxed for an hour or so then it was time to head back for dinner. The food was good as was the company. Unfortunately Dave was a bit off colour and headed back to the boat and was asleep when we returned. Alan joined us in the cockpit of Lady P for a beer and a chat. It was a pleasant evening and we sat with the canopy open. We called it a night and said goodbye as we were heading off early in the morning to return to the marina and drive home via Debs Mum & Dads.

The run back to the marina this morning went well, hopefully we have sorted out the couple of issues we had for good

cheers

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since we managed to get up to the boat, mainly due to family commitments on a couple of weekends and my suffering from an inner ear viral infection.

Anyway we have planned our next outing for the 2nd to the 5th July. Anyone around on the southern rivers be sure to give us a wave and stop by for a chat :)

Oh, we thought it time we changed our username to reflect what is our own little getaway ;)

cheers

• Like 4