10 Days on Ranworth Breeze

Day 1 Monday 13th April.

Awoke early 6.30am breakfast on board and checked on the forum.
We were out of the marina by 8.15am and set off to go to Beccles to do some shopping, it seemed even a long way even by car. Shopping done, match and more points earned and staff discount so saved £19 and were given a £5 voucher for the next shop.

It seemed so far on the journey that I thought we would go back to Brundall via the Reedham Ferry (strange to be on the ferry rather than passing it); it seemed a slightly shorter journey, but much more pleasant going the small country roads.

Back at the Marina, I called into reception to pay our yearly mooring fee. Ouch!!

Shopping all squared away and canopy taken fully down and shore power uncoupled, I ended up chatting to Peter from P & J.

Tan said “can I take the boat out”, for a change the Marina was like a mill pond, I therefore had to just keep Tan company whilst she was firmly in control of the helm.

It was good to see so many hire boats on the Southern Broads, there were plenty of boats from Richardson’s and Brinks, we saw a Broadsman and Broadslander and a Brinks Melody and a few Star Gem’s, we must have seen about twenty in total and a few other private craft. We also saw Thunder, no doubt their syndicate owners were enjoying themselves.

A later lunch was called for so we passed the ferry and turned round and moored outside Ferry Inn between a Brinks craft and the ferry, Tan had relinquished her seat before we moored. Lunch was good and filled a small space.
We set off again turning in front of the ferry and went through Reedham Bridge (with a foot to spare) and proceeded what seemed forever down the new cut.

There was only around 9 foot 6inches at Somerleyton so we blew our three long blasts on the horn and did some circuits until the bridge was opened, Looking at Alpha craft stranded by the bridge we noted that the rear door was open. It is well stuck now.

We arrived at Beccles about 6.00pm and had tea which had been cooking away nicely with wafts of jacket potatoes and sausages reaching us on the upper helm on the journey into Beccles.

The syndicate boat Silver Cloud was moored at the Yacht Station.
One of the Star Gems followed us into the Yacht Station.
The fair is in town and is on the Common Green near to the Yacht Station.
It will be open from Thursday 16th to Sunday 19th and Thursday 23rd to Saturday 25th.

One of the ducks was showing a comedy routine, it seems to like standing upright most of the time and it was running across the grass from about halfway down the mooring towards the toilets.
Ducks comedy with bills!

Settled now for the night to see if Tan can beat me again at rummikub again.

Regards
Alan & Tan

• Like 11

Day 2 (really the 1st day of allocation) Tuesday 14th April

We stayed in bed this morning until almost 7.45am; I wanted to get shower tokens and pay our overnight mooring fee, the yacht master was a bit late (traffic issues) got a new card which was duly stamped (fill the card at Beccles or Oulton Broad and get a free mooring) .

Saw the wacky duck this morning it was walking about still fully upright (it must think it’s a penguin).

Breakfast over we set off back up the river, sunny weather so Tan suggested (get that hat on) that I put on my wide brimmed hat on to protect my chrome work. I look somewhat special!

Tan took over at the helm by the time we had got just past the old bridge supports, so I managed 2.5 miles at the helm, we soon caught up the ramblers that we had seen walking on the other side of the marina, they had got about a mile or two down the river, usual pleasantries, nice day for it and it would be good to have a lift, ok one or two but there was about 30 of them.

Whilst Tan was at the helm I started prepping lunch, pizza, standard for me for Tan I use those gluten free wraps, put tomato sauce (usually drained from plum tomatoes) and some grated white stilton, put the other wrap on top and then add more tomato sauce, and then sliced tomatoes, mushrooms and one spring onion, finish off with cheese of choice (I used mature cheddar, we had some left over from last night). Left in the oven on a low light until we moored up for lunch.

We managed to get under Somerleyton Bridge being as the air draft was about 10 foot 6 inches, so we had a good 8 inches to spare, we moored at the Somerleyton moorings and had lunch. Getting off from the mooring took a while but it was ok.

We decided to go up the Chet and just managed to get past the dredging team, no sign of life other than a whistling kettle from inside their shed.

A number of tents and tourers were pitched at Maffetts and we saw Marina & Ian’s boat moored up not far past. There were only about three boats moored at the staite so plenty of room for us.

Now taking in the sunshine, Tan doing some knitting me typing.

We saw a few Brooms hire craft today of various types I guess they must have bought some in to swell their hire fleet.

Off up top with a beer.

More later.

Regards

Alan

post-568-0-73000900-1429106905_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-03520400-1429106967_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-57383500-1429107003_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-72489500-1429107053_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Alan,

Looks nice and bright down Beccles way. Always like stopping at that YS.  Nice to know you are getting a signal in Loddon Staithe. Don't work too hard, am sure Tan can manage. After all your on holiday matey :naughty:  Mods rule! :swordpir:  :hardhat:

Look forward to your next stanza, have fun! :dance

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Day 3 Wednesday 15th April

We woke around 6.30am at Loddon Staithe; I was pushed out of the bed first with cries of “I am ready for my breakfast”. I thought should have some fruit so I segmented two oranges and a grapefruit, slices some strawberries and added raspberries and blueberries.

Tan had porridge (we weigh out portions and put them in bags, its better than taking a box and a cup of milk is the correct amount), just muesli for me. A few crosswords over breakfast; no not arguments, just the quick words.

The tree surgeons arrived by 7.30 to continue their work trimming the branches off the two trees nearest to the road. Notices posted re footpaths closed and a section of the car park cordoned off, it was quite a while before they started with their cherry picker, maybe they had called in Rosie Lees for some breakfast. Needless to say this has been great spectator sport for the villages and boaters alike. One of the guys when up to the extent of the cherry picker and he had to climb complete with harnesses and ropes higher in the tree so he could fix a pulley for his ropes.

He was doing this while he had a chain saw dangling from one of his harnesses.

Interesting to watch but 50 to 60 foot up a tree, no thanks, the same thoughts were expressed by a number of people watching him.

I started doing a few jobs on the boat. The toilet fan in the forward toilet and the galley fan we had rewound/new bearings (done in-house so no cost) etc over the winter layoff, I fitted these at season start they worked very well but were too noisy, sounded almost like jet engines, so the toilet fan had to be replaced. These original 12 volt DC fan by ECS were never that good and cost a small fortune. I purchased a couple off of the internet at less than half the price at of the original fan.

Needless to say the 4 inch new fan was 4 inches where you might fit a duct but nearer to the fixing collar was a couple of mm bigger. I had in my toolkit a couple of files but not a half moon file. So up to Loddon DIY it was before 9.00am but I thought he may be open, sadly he didn’t have a suitable file, but I bought some other items for other work I needed to do. They do stock some items such as the plugs and sockets used on shore power and a range of fixings, we have even bought mats for the boat from here.

I persevered with my files and fitted the fan, the one in the galley I will have to leave until I can get a fan of the same size because there it no clearance around it.

We had some ring marks on the wooden divider between the lounge and the galley, I had treated these with ring remover last season with good effect, but more were on the boat again, it’s not like we don’t provide mats!

The ring remover did not work this time so I used wire wool to take the rings out and gave the woodwork a coat of Danish Oil.

By 10.30 we had watched the guy up the tree still doing his thing we decided to leave Loddon. We passed the dredger again a tight fit, there was a couple of staff on a tug but the dredger was not in operation. Tan left me at the helm until I had passed it.

We proceeded past the Sugar Factory yet again and continued our journey up to Brammerton where we would spent the night, we really like it here plenty of moorings and electric post and the Waters Edge just up the lane (or if you prefer it outside the pub).

We had a late lunch, cheese omelette and salad.

Tan did a few rows of her knitting, 300 stitches per row, plain and pearl, it all double dutch to me.

I managed to get on the internet for the first time since Monday so loads of emails to answer and almost two full pages of the forum to check out.

After the sun had gone over the trees we put the canopy up, tan went on rabbit watch and I cleaned the inside of the canopy roof.

More later.

Sorry no pictures today but I have charged the camera battery.

Regards

Alan

• Like 9

Hi Alan,

I'm enjoying the read.. It certainly sounds like you are having a relaxing enjoyable time! Shame the weathers cooled down though.. I bet it was lovely up there earlier in the week!  Be aware my mum and dad are up tomorrow although they will be the other end so you probably will be safe enough! 

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

cheers

• Like 2

Day 4 Thursday 16th April

The day started at 6.15am we were still moored at Brammerton, relief!

There was a mist this morning, but I saw a few rabbits on the green.

I checked out the results of the canopy cleaning the evening before and it had come up well, Tony one of our other owners had cleaned the top section on the outside last week.

Tan eventually decided to get up so we had breakfast over abuse (crossword).

While Tan was doing the washing up (we have a division of labour, I prepare/cook, no one is ill and Tan washes up) I sat on the upper deck and replaced a fender sock on one of the smaller ball fenders (damaged since the season start in February) I use the blue stockinet and it was a pain to get it over the wide section of the fender, no amount of ***bleep*** or encouragement from Tan “that’s a shame” seemed to help.

Job done the down side is that the fettled fender not shows up the other stern fender.

The B.A. team arrived to continue their work on the moorings; they were replacing some of the headings. A Broom hire craft got shouted at by the group for not slowing down to 5mph in the restricted section, rightly so I nearly spilt my coffee.

Rows of knitting done and boat checks completed we set off for Brundall.

Arrived at our moorings and just put on the dock lines on the boat because we were not staying long.

I took our side canopy section over to the picnic table on the grass behind our mooring and washed them down to remove the green marks off of them. Several rows of knitting later we locked the boat and went to the showers (wet rooms) that are part of the Reception building at Tingdene Marina.

All cleaned up we had a late lunch and then set off to Rockland St Mary and moored at the staithe. We thought we would walk up the hill to the Post Office, what seemed miles after we arrived at the Post Office & General Store, before we got there I said if they were enterprising they would have tables & chairs and serve teas, coffee etc.

Delight we viewed the tables & chairs; a coffee had our name on it. Afterwards we bought the milk we went for and a few more bits and then made our way back. The brad trail we left seemed to be eaten, but we made it back to the pub.

We looked at the menu and decided to call in there this evening.

Noted there were still rubbish bins between the green and the staithe park park.

Just up for the pub we saw a sign saying “boats crossing” well we are in Norfolk.

Just before 7.00pm we went over the road to the New Inn.

It has only been reopened a little over two weeks (1st of April 2015) The Landlords are Terry & Marion Webb; they have one chef and are looking for a second one.

The meal was good and Becks excellent (it seemed a share to only have one).

I wish them every success in their venture. I have suggested they join our forum so they can let us know of events and promotions they may hold. They plan to retain the good local support and develop new strings to their bow with chef accommodation and B&B. Terry has become the cellar man & gardener and general dogsbody.

Their phone number is 01508 538211 email terryawebb@outlook.co.uk

12 New Inn Hill

|Rockland St Mary

NR14 7HP

Whist in the pub we got speaking to the chap that was on Maffetts Swallow, he had hired the boat about 12 years ago and still liked it. Another couple arrived in a Westfield (kit car) a bit like a Lotus 7 from Prisoner fame, but this was in blue rather than British Racing Green, somewhat cold they joined in with the banter at the bar.

They had only come down the road from Surlingham and said they had a very small boat at one time on the mooring near the staithe, it seemed full with four people and powered by a tiny outboard. They said that it was too small and took hours to get to their local pubs of Coldham Hall Tavern and The Ferry House which were within tripping distance.

Back at the boat I continued to beat Tan at Rummikub today 4 to 1 so today victory was mine.

Watched a DVD, coffee and then bed.

More later

Regards

Alan

post-568-0-84026400-1429279807_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-49510500-1429279924_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-35524400-1429279964_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-28287200-1429280013_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-85576300-1429280070_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-48352100-1429280134_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

great write up Alan

looks like you and Tan are having a relaxing time (with a little work thrown in)

we will certainly be calling in at Rockland when we are down the week after next and it would be rude not to call in to the pub :wasted: wouldn't it ?

great pictures, hope you continue to enjoy your break

• Like 4

Day 5 Friday 17th April

Another early start, but it was not the bright sunshine we had become used to, we had not heard Swallow leave the moorings, he had to be back at Maffett’s for the morning changeover.

The other boat that had stopped overnight left before we were ready to set off, we had a leisurely breakfast, did a few crosswords and eventually set off to our mooring at Brundall.

Just before we came to the end of the dyke leaving Rockland Broad we saw a deer near the waters edge, it scampered off into brambles on fully seeing us.

Short trip into the marina in time for coffee; .I finished the washing down of the front section of our canopy and treated the aft steps and bathing platform with some teak cleaner.

Boating nothing but cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning, when we used to visit other marinas back in the day I often thought why do they spend so much time cleaning the boat rather than go out on it. The sad reality is that all boats do need cleaning and the white ones more than most; we have all seen the poor sights of a neglected boat all green with mould.

Work done whilst Tan sharpened her needles we relaxed with some lunch and a well earned break.

I spoke with the crew of Southern Crusader before they left to catch the tide at Yarmouth, they should have been ok with regards to the level of low water for the bridges and more importantly their return trip later in their week.

We were going to go to the Yare but decided to stay put and use up some of the food.

Rummikub it was Tan’s day of victory winning 4 games to 3, DVD and bed.

It was just a day of tidying and getting ready for our new owners coming down for their training on Sunday & Monday, we will be off to the Broom’s boat show in the morning.

Regards

Alan

post-568-0-73599200-1429373398_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-42266700-1429373459_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-62914200-1429373493_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Day 6 Saturday 18th April

I managed to get some time on the forum this morning being as we were on the Marinas wifi, nice morning the sun up and ready for the day.

We had breakfast and then straight to the showers, clean once again I came back on the forum just before jonzo pulled the plug so my upload of yesterday would have to wait

We parked in the marina car park and walked round to Brooms to attend their boat show. Tan signed us up to the first factory tour for 10.30am and a boat trip at 12.00 noon. On both of these events was John, CaptainJosie & his wife, we chattered a bit during the boat trip and afterwards whilst having some of Brooms free drinks. The tour was as I imagined and was interesting. There was a few trade stands and a fish & chips van, this seemed to be the biggest queue of the day.

Being as we were there it would have been an insult not the look around the boats that were for sale, if only I had put on my other coat maybe I could have afforded the £299,999 for one of the boats that rather struck our eyes, Potter Heigham may have been a tight squeeze though.

A lot of the boats while being bigger and having more berths did not tick all of are boxes compared with our Birchwood 340.

After being on the river earlier it seemed the best thing we could do was head back to the marina and take the boat out, canopy down and on our way back up to Brammerton Green, not much space but we managed to get in.

Someone took our lines who used to be in our syndicate at the beginning of the syndicate back in 2001 (like ourselves we were the second owners to take Ranworth Breeze out on the river back then).

We will shortly have to get back to the marina for the night, so it a meal in the Yare and back to the boat to de-clutter for the arrival of new owners for their initiation training at 9.00 in the morning.

More later.

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

Alan said....

We will shortly have to get back to the marina for the night, so it a meal in the Yare and back to the boat to de-clutter for the arrival of new owners for their initiation training at 9.00 in the morning.

Nothing sinister I hope in the initiation, Alan, like dunking them in the River Yare :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 3

Hi Simon,

On a bad  day I think I could give JM a run for his money with the canopy up. Unless it is exceedingly bad weather we travel with the canopy down.

Back home now, back to the grind and just the swaying to remind us of our time on the Broads.

Day 7 Sunday 19th April

Frances and Michael arrived shortly after 9.00am after a five hours plus journey from North Wales.

We showed them around the boat again even though they had visited Ranworth Breeze in February. Part of the initiation on the boat is where everything is located, what it does and how it is stowed; this is done from stem to stern both inside and on deck. The stowage of the emergency tiller in the aft cabin wardrobe is usually a talking point, likewise the almost secrete cutlery draw. The lounge carpet removed and down into the engine bay to go through the various engine checks and weed filter on the water intake.

Sunday morning was overcast and at one point we thought we might get some rain. We showed how to let the canopy down after removing all the side panels and how to roll these up to prevent the plastic panels from splitting.

With the canopy down and the anchor and forward light mast down we have an air draft of 9ft 8 inches.

We ventured out of the marina up to Brammerton Green practicing at any available moorings; mooring up portside and starboard side on with or without the bow thruster.

I remember our training back in 2001 all we did was figure eights on Hoveton Little Broad, no mooring practice and no experience of tidal, windy waterways.

Sadly Frances & Michael had to be away before 2.00pm for their journey back home, so it was back into the marina and our stern mooring berth that Michael performed well, if the wind is blowing down the marina it can catch out the best of our fellow boat owners.

More tidying up for tomorrow, we had a late lunch and phoned Richard and Lisa, they were still on their way down from Derbyshire and had been caught up in the closure of the A1 and roadwork’s on the A47, we arranged to meet them in the Hotel Wroxham where they were staying Sunday & Monday night, we had some drinks in the bar until the bar closed somewhat early around 9.30pm, it seemed a pity so a round was bought in. We left them around 10.pm and made our way back to Brundall.

A coffee and a few crosswords and bed.

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

Day 8 Monday 20th April

Breakfast over early it was a short trip up the road to Brian Ward’s , yesterday whilst showing Frances and Michael where everything was located and how it works I noticed that the TV mast was missing one of the plastic thumb screws, so the top section would not extend. I have tried to locate these in the past with no avail; so a new mast was called for, I also noted that the flat hosepipe (reel type) had a pinprick hole in it.

The items were all available at Brian Ward’s, I advised Nick & Tanya that their advert with us was up for renewal and asked if they would be renewing with us again. Yes they will renew with us again this year.

I got back to the boat and Tan & I were waiting for Richard (Rich) & Lisa to arrive, they had seen Ranworth Breeze on line viewing several pictures on a few websites including our own. They were not disappointed when they arrived a little after 9.30am.

We had a coffee and showed Rich & Lisa over the boat from stem to stern showing again where everything was stowed, how it works, the does and don’ts i.e. only use the cheap two ply toilet rolls that the syndicate supplies, soft three ply is regarded as contraband and is removed off of the boat when ever found, likewise toilet cleaner is not to be used.

Helm change over switch showed but the lower helm is seldom used, I have only used it twice in the 14 years since Ranworth Breeze was launched, the helm position is no better than a number of the low hire boats all that can be seen is the reeds and nothing at all can be seen behind you at the helm other than the stairs going up to the upper helm and down into the aft cabin.

Rich show what the emergency tiller was when I removed it from the aft cabin wardrobe, again another item showed which thankfully has never been used on the boat. Engine checks over we went onto the upper deck and showed Rich how to remove the canopy side sections that needed rolling up to protect the plastic windows from creasing. The top section is let down and is rolled after lowing down in the pram hood manor. Rich & Lisa have hired boats for many years both yachts and cruisers and would have no trouble operating the boat, they hired Fair Diplomat a few years ago so they were somewhat familiar with the basic layout of the Birchwood 340.

Rich was surprised however with the boats response to the helm and engine power aboard the boat compared to the hire boat, of course our boat is finished to an higher standard but sadly the air draft is a lot higher.

Rich was straight on the helm and took us out of the marina and we headed up towards Brammerton and eventually Norwich. It was an easy day for me today Rich proved that he been on boats since he was eight and we chatted away whilst we went up the river, we tried a emergency stop and a full turnaround all of which impressed Rich with the handling. We did a few moorings and then moored up at the Waters Edge for lunch; we sat on the decking in brilliant sunshine and had our meal.

Lunch over we proceeded towards Norwich but turned around just before we came to the bridge. We made our way back down to Brunadall and I showed Rich & Lisa the Brooms Fuel station and said that we moor there port side on so that the two toilet tanks can be emptied (the two caps are on the port side and one of the diesel filler caps, the other diesel and water filler are on the starboard side).

Back in the marina after about 4 hours on the river we went through the logs and explained other procedures Rich & Lisa left to spend another night at The Hotel Wroxham, they said that after we left them the night before they went into the Kings Head, by all account that and two takeaway shops on the Bridge were the only thing that stopped Wroxham being a ghost town. They said the refurbishment of the Kings Head was very good and it was hardly recognisable as the pub they knew and it was a vast improvement.

We went back to cleaning the boat after they left, I spent about two to three hours washing down the outside of the boat and Tan packed a lot of our gear so we could put some of it in the car out of the way so Tan could tackle the inside clean in the morning.

We went for a shower and had a meal in the Yare before going back to the boat for our final night aboard. It would be Rich and Lisa’s boat in the morning for a full week.

A couple of games of Rummikub, a coffee and bed.

Regards

Alan

• Like 6