FISHING IN THE CLOSE SEASON

Here`s one for the anglers amongst us,

Now we`re in the middle of the close season, it`s only closed for river fishing, and canals and stillwaters are open year round. So, if we were moored at Coltshall lock,, i can legally fish ABOVE the now disused lock on the Bure valley navigation. However, the Waveney Navigation officially starts at Geldeston lock, again disused, but with no lock gates etc, the navigation is open to tides. However, it is still classified as a canal, so can i fish beyond the lock legally during the close season?. Also, The North Walsham and Dilham canal starts at the junction of the River Ant, and Dilham dyke (Tylers cut?), so can i fish the canal navigation legally from this junction upwards, again baring in mind this is a tidal stretch of the canal?.

It would be very interesting to know the legalities of these waters, as i like to fish while on the Broads, and have often moored near these areas, so if i CAN fish these stretches legally, i can bring some rods with me.

One other thing,  A few years back, a club organised a match on the river Severn during the close season, and the EA bailifs were there ready to issues fines, and conficate tackle etc, but had to leave empty handed, due to the match being for Eels only, and even then, only with specific tackle. Does this rule apply to the Broads, or is it a regional issue?.

• Like 1

I'm not an angler, but I know how to read the EA bye laws. The answers to your questions are No, No and No. The Waveney and the Bure are rivers right back to their sources and the EA byelaw regards the Dilham & North Walsham canal as a river (specific mention is made in the bye law), so the closed season applies.

Edited to add...eels may be fished in the closed season, but only if a hook or other metal utensil isn't used. Rod-caught eels must be returned.

• Like 2

I'm not an angler, but I know how to read the EA bye laws. The answers to your questions are No, No and No. The Waveney and the Bure are rivers right back to their sources and the EA byelaw regards the Dilham & North Walsham canal as a river (specific mention is made in the bye law), so the closed season applies.

Edited to add...eels may be fished in the closed season, but only if a hook or other metal utensil isn't used. Rod-caught eels must be returned.

Thanks Paladin.

I`m not trying to upset the apple cart or anything, i just wondered how things stood on the rivers / canalised sections.  I think down here, people fish the Kennet and Avon canal, but can`t fish the River Kennet, even though it`s ALL technically a still water, due to it being  a tributary of the Thames after the first Lock at Teddington.. Obviously, the waters i mentioned above come under the same catagory?.

Last Wednesday morning we went upto the split before the lock and a BA worker said to turn at that point and off he went in his little work boat. turning round we saw a small cabin boat with 3 rods fishing. I couldn't get the reg and one was watching me turn so didn't use the camera as we were staying up that way again. told the BA worker (not a ranger) he said they'l get fined if caught.

Down to moorings before the bridge and back spoke to a ranger about it and he said keep a eye out.

Thanks Paladin.

I`m not trying to upset the apple cart or anything, i just wondered how things stood on the rivers / canalised sections.  I think down here, people fish the Kennet and Avon canal, but can`t fish the River Kennet, even though it`s ALL technically a still water, due to it being  a tributary of the Thames after the first Lock at Teddington.. Obviously, the waters i mentioned above come under the same catagory?.

I think you'll find that the description of 'still water' is given to reservoirs, enclosed lakes, gravel pits, etc., not to rivers, the flow of which, for whatever reason, has been restricted by means of a lock or sluice.

• Like 1

remember that the closed season still applies to those canals and canal sections classified as SSSI's so always check that the section you plan to fish is not designated. An increasing number of canals, especially urban canals are being listed as they offer habitats to many declining species.

Blame the newts again! It is worth making sure, the CRT are very active in their pursuit of illegal angling.

Speedtriple, you missed one trick, there is a section of bona fide canal (not canalised river section) on the broads. Not sure you would get away with fishing it though!

What is the reason for closed season ? breeding season presumably ? is this a nationwide law or just The Broads ?  We freeze our Ney Neys off from October to March dangling the worms , then along comes a bit of decent weather and its all off ! 

Nationwide and controlled by the Environment Agency.

Only still waters can escape the rules.

I am cheesed off with my local lakes who last year have now banned Pike fishing from April to Nov!! I am going to assume it isn't because the Carp boys don't like us lobbing big deadbaits around, but to protect the Pike as they are prone to the effects of low oxygen levels during the summer. After a hard fight they will be very exhausted.

SO have to wait until June 16th on the rivers.

I think you're on dodgy ground fishing those waters in the close season.

I know that canals aren't subject to a close season but my local canal which is around 20 miles long is sourced from a TINY river and because of this, coarse fishing is denied in the close season. As far as I'm aware any canal which is river connected is subject to a coarse fishing ban. 

Get a  nice little #4 weight fly rod mate and fish those stretches for trout and the coarse fishing ban doesn't apply ! The trout fishing season runs into the coarse fishing close season so you've no problem and its great fun on a narrow bit of stream or river. Fly fishing is wonderful.

(Mind you, chances are you might just catch a few of those nuisance roach and perch by accident of coarse !) :naughty:

• Like 1

This might help.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/295664/anglian_byelaws.pdf

What I didn't realise is that you can take so many coarse fish from the rivers? I dont normally catch 15 fish in a day!!!!

And the source

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/local-fishing-byelaws

Basically, find a nice lake :naughty:

remember that the closed season still applies to those canals and canal sections classified as SSSI's so always check that the section you plan to fish is not designated. An increasing number of canals, especially urban canals are being listed as they offer habitats to many declining species.

Blame the newts again! It is worth making sure, the CRT are very active in their pursuit of illegal angling.

Speedtriple, you missed one trick, there is a section of bona fide canal (not canalised river section) on the broads. Not sure you would get away with fishing it though!

Paul, bona fide canal: do you mean the section of the Yare bypassing Thorpe Green or maybe the section of the Bure between Ant mouth and South Walsham dyke or possibly the Ant between Hundred dyke and Ant Mouth or even the Thurne between Hundred dyke and Thurne Mouth.

Some of these may be natural re-aligning of rivers over time but the section of the Bure past the St Benets moorings seems to be too straight to be natural - maybe a widened dyke at some time in the past.

Or have I missed the one you are talking about.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to fish enclosed waters and canals in the closed season makes a mockery of the whole closed season fiasco.

Lets just abolish the closed season completely. Its an out dated ridiculous law as fish rarely breed between March and June. They breed much later in the year when the water is warmer.

Perhaps this could be the subject of one of those petitions to Parliament.

• Like 2

Bonzo you have got it spot on to many pen pushers sitting behind desks that's the problem they need to get in the real world and see whats going on out there, and as to be able to fish lakes, canals but not rivers is baffling me , I would like someone to explain the difference to me to justify the reasons.

Anyway 5 weeks tomorrow and the proper fishing season begins

• Like 2

Bonzo, warmer temperatures have actually brought the breeding season forward. Pike, for example, are now gravid during February. 

Why people bleat about the close season I really don't know. If folk want to fish then there are plenty of commercial fisheries available. In the meantime I'm doing all those jobs around the house and garden that gain me the 'browny points' that allow me to fish after June 16th!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We moored at Loddon staithe on Thursday night, and in came a boat with a group of lads on it. They did`nt make any noise or anything, but i did notice all the fishing gear on the cabin top, and assumed they were fishing in riverside still waters.  Imagine my total surprise to see one of the guys getting his rod set up, and actually fishing, blatantly in broad daylight off the bow of their boat.

I did`nt report it to thr BA or the EA, but i have informed their hirebase, because there may be something in the law that the yard COULD be held responsible, even just partially, as it`s easier to get a fine from a wealthy buisness than it is for an indvidual.